• Create Account

C# game tutorials?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

#1 jimi_hendrix   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:01 AM

so my two favorite languages are C++ and C#...but i cant find game tutorials for C#, just C++...any one know any? also do we have a place were we can post code and ask why it segfaults?

Sponsor:

#2 Daivuk   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 371

0Likes

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:34 AM

http://creators.xna.com

They have video tutorial, very detailed. And a forum where you can ask question. This is for XNA/C#.

#3 Wan   Members   -  Reputation: 1366

0Likes

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:34 AM

Quote:
Original post by jimi_hendrix
so my two favorite languages are C++ and C#...but i cant find game tutorials for C#, just C++...any one know any?

Would XNA be an option for you?

Quote:
also do we have a place were we can post code and ask why it segfaults?

You can post it in this very forum. However, make sure you've made an effort to find and solve the problem, and provide relevant details. Refrain from just dumping code and asking "fix my codes plz".

#4 jimi_hendrix   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:58 AM

XNA is not bad...bu is ther anything like SDL for C# thats cross platform (i fiddle around with linux and would want it portable to linux if possible)

#5 Wan   Members   -  Reputation: 1366

0Likes

Posted 26 November 2008 - 04:05 AM

Try Tao. I must admit I haven't used it myself though. Perhaps others can share their experiences.

#6 MrCpaw   Members   -  Reputation: 193

0Likes

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:28 PM

I would have to say XNA would be your best bet. When I was programming in C# and XNA was out on beta I gave it a run and in less then 10 minutes I had a maze game going. However that varies with experience in programming. Everything to start putting graphics on a screen and having movement is almost all done for you. Since XNA is pretty popular among C# game programmers you will find some very useful articles if you google for XNA Tutorials.

Some sites:

http://www.xnadevelopment.com/
(Very useful site, I used this site when XNA was just coming out to the public. Shows you how to setup tiles and movable toons with attacks.)

http://www.xnatutorial.com/
http://www.riemers.net/eng/Tutorials/XNA/Csharp/series1.php
http://www.xnaresources.com/
http://www.bluerosegames.com/brg/xna101.aspx

Good luck!

#7 jimi_hendrix   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:54 PM

thanks all...im giving C++ w/ SDL one more shot (if youve read my segfalt thread i have scrapped the code and started over)...then im on to C#

on a related topic...im also interested in making my own OS with Cosmos...anyone try that?

#8 MrCpaw   Members   -  Reputation: 193

0Likes

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:47 PM

Quote:
Original post by jimi_hendrix
thanks all...im giving C++ w/ SDL one more shot (if youve read my segfalt thread i have scrapped the code and started over)...then im on to C#

on a related topic...im also interested in making my own OS with Cosmos...anyone try that?

You should really try to stick out C++ with SDL. I've played a online rpg a few years back that a guy made using SDL and I was just amazed! Going into C# just because it seems "easy" wont help you in the long run with game programming because sooner or later you will be stuck again and feel like giving up.

You're better off trying out SDL.

Check out this webpage!

http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/index.php

#9 oler1s   Members   -  Reputation: 589

0Likes

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:06 PM

Respectfully, MrCpaw, I think you just gave out some bad advice.

Quote:
You should really try to stick out C++ with SDL. I’ve played a online rpg a few years back that a guy made using SDL and I was just amazed!
The game wasn’t amazing because it used C++ and SDL. You aren’t trying to imply that are you?

Quote:
Going into C# just because it seems “easy” wont help you in the long run with game programming because sooner or later you will be stuck again and feel like giving up.
So your solution is to recommend a language that is more frustrating and more difficult to work with? The way to deal with the risk of giving up is to start on a more difficult language?

#10 rookie666   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:33 PM

Beginning C# Game Programming.pdf ???

you try that and yea dont quit c++ bc c# sound harder :/ but if that whut you reaaaly looking for easyness my pro friend said java REAAALLLLY easy gl

#11 MrCpaw   Members   -  Reputation: 193

0Likes

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:58 PM

Quote:
Original post by oler1s
Respectfully, MrCpaw, I think you just gave out some bad advice.

Quote:
You should really try to stick out C++ with SDL. I’ve played a online rpg a few years back that a guy made using SDL and I was just amazed!
The game wasn’t amazing because it used C++ and SDL. You aren’t trying to imply that are you?

Quote:
Going into C# just because it seems “easy” wont help you in the long run with game programming because sooner or later you will be stuck again and feel like giving up.
So your solution is to recommend a language that is more frustrating and more difficult to work with? The way to deal with the risk of giving up is to start on a more difficult language?

The game was amazing for the results it achieved by using SDL and having such a great game completed without the use of another persons Engine or a ton of other tools. Of course the programmer had a lot of skill but that's not to say that SDL is a useless tool, unless that's what you're implying? I'm not saying that only SDL games are good, I'm saying that the power of SDL with a good programmer and great game design can pull of some neat results, no different then someone programming in Direct X, or even using a Game Maker.

This is my personal opinion if you don't agree that's fine. If you personally believe it's more beneficial to start with a higher level language like C# then move onto C++ later on then that's perfectly fine, and you're free to state that. We all are different when learning and catch on at different paces. Some people can tackle C++ right off the bat, others cannot. That's not to say this person isn't able to stick with C++. I've had days where I wanted to drop C++ when debugging some code, but I kept with it and found a solution to my problem. Part of being a programmer is also being able to solve problems, if you couldn't you would be lost when it came to debugging.

In the end it's up to the topic creator if he chooses to stick it out or not. If he can start in C# with XNA and get some fast results and that's what he/she wants to do, then I say go for it. I'm giving advice based on the long term benefit of learning C++ for games.

Not everyone agrees C++ is a good idea for starting out, however with all of the great books out there why not? C++ has been around for so long that the tutorial databases online are huge! Forums like this can help anyone learn C++ if they come across problems. Either way, I still believe C++ isn't so hard that anyone who would dare learn it first would just give up all together. You can give an easy language like BASIC and people will still find it hard. Not everyone in the world is great at programming and can learn it well.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS