• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Best way to draw hexes and texture them?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 RJH   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 19 June 2001 - 03:49 PM

What''s the best way to draw hexagonals with OpenGL: 1) 1 GL_QUAD and 2 GL_TRIANGLEs ? 2) 6 GL_TRIANGLE_FANS ? 3) 1 GL_POLYGON with 7 vertices ? 4) Other? I''m creating a hex map and want to apply a texture image to it. Does the use of a texture influence choices above? Is there any way to apply a single texture to cover a set of polygons rather than 1 texture per polygon? Thanks for any replies.

Sponsor:

#2 Possibility   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 June 2001 - 07:31 AM

You can draw a hexagon with 4 triangles and 6 vertices if you wanted. Just put a triangle in the center, and then it will have 3 sourrounding triangles.

Possibility

#3 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 20 June 2001 - 10:24 AM

Hmm.. I would say a triangle fan would work the best way, at least vertex wise. Texturing is the same in all cases, (read nehe tutorials in this area) I dont know if you could make texturing faster or slower by any method in opengl , what you have to check is to avoid many state changes, that will truly make your game slower.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS