• Create Account

Need tutorial on bone animation for Opengl?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 pavelreuk   Members   -  Reputation: 124

0Likes

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:15 PM

Hi, Could someone please help me find out where to get good information and tutorials on creating bone animation using .3ds files in Opengl, such as skeleton animation and how to import all the information from a .3ds (3ds max studio) file using Opengl? Please help! Thank you.

Sponsor:

#2 owl   Banned   -  Reputation: 364

1Likes

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:18 PM

You may want to take a look at the Cal3D library.

Trust me when I say that I'll be easier for you to understand and implement this library than to learn skeletal animation and write a library by yourself.

#3 pavelreuk   Members   -  Reputation: 124

1Likes

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:40 PM

I'm actually looking to create my own code for importing 3d model, mesh and bone animation files from programs like 3ds max studio or lightwave and implementing them inside my game engine. I really want to learn how to import bone animation from files like .3ds or any other 3d model files using c++ (opengl) programming. Please help me in getting this information so that i could develop my own library files in bone animation using c++ and opengl, i definitely understand that this is very complex but i'm willing to do everything i can to create my own bone animation code files in c++?

Please guide me in the correct direction, i hope i could get source codes, tutorials and reference files in importing and rendering 3d model bone animated files in opengl?

Thanks a bunch!

#4 V-man   Members   -  Reputation: 797

0Likes

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:50 PM

.3ds doesnt support bone animation. It only supports keyframe. You are better off with a modern file format such as .x or your own for games.
For other tye of software, COLLADA.

#5 pavelreuk   Members   -  Reputation: 124

0Likes

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:56 PM

i apologize about that, yes i would be creating my own file format by exporting one from a 3ds max studio software, is there some resource or tutorials on how to import my own bone animated character file and render them correctly?

Not sure if you heard of gametutorials.com but they do have some bone animation tutorials using 3ds max studio in exporting a bone animated character and being able to import all the values from a files and rendering it for games?

Please let me know where i would be able to find resource regarding this method?

#6 owl   Banned   -  Reputation: 364

0Likes

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:01 PM

*sigh*

Basic_Bones_System

3DS Max file formats

Data formats

You should export your model/skeleton/animation from 3D Max in some format that you can parse later in your program. Cal3D format is in XML (one of the easiest to parse) but sadly, there already exists a parser for that format and a library that will play any animation with any graphical library (read OpenGL/Direct3D) so you won't be able to write it yourself.

#7 pavelreuk   Members   -  Reputation: 124

0Likes

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:33 PM

Thanks for all the information, this will definitely help me out. Also, do you have the link to (read OpenGL/Direct3D)?

#8 owl   Banned   -  Reputation: 364

0Likes

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:53 PM

I already gave it to you in my first post.

#9 Eistoeter   Members   -  Reputation: 138

0Likes

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:10 AM

Is there something like Cal3D for Java?

#10 V-man   Members   -  Reputation: 797

0Likes

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:16 PM

You can add this to the list of those websites
http://www.opengl.org/wiki/index.php/Skeletal_Animation

#11 pavelreuk   Members   -  Reputation: 124

0Likes

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:47 AM

Thanks a bunch!

#12 spacerat   Members   -  Reputation: 713

0Likes

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:19 PM

I have just completed a Ogre XML based Skeletal Animation Tutorial in C++ / OpenGL, available with source code.

You can get it here: http://voxels.blogspot.jp/2014/03/skinned-skeletal-animation-tutorial.html

Edited by spacerat, 04 March 2014 - 09:20 PM.

#13 3TATUK2   Members   -  Reputation: 708

0Likes

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:29 AM

http://ogldev.atspace.co.uk/www/tutorial38/tutorial38.html

#14 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 18866

0Likes

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:47 PM

The "Thanks a bunch" reply was given back in 2009.

If they are still concerned about this after five years, I'm sure they'll start a new thread.

Closing.

Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS