• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

33 parameters for a function?! Seriously!?

• You cannot reply to this topic
56 replies to this topic

#1 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6991

0Likes

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:39 AM

Would you ever write or use a function that takes 33 parameters? And how can you help someone see that 33 is just too many? Even though all 33 are absolutely needed, how can you help them see that passing a single object containing all the needed info would be better? Background info/story: I'm at work ("working," of course) and my boss recently had me make an API change to an SDK we're making. He does the Java version of the SDK, and I do the C++. Basically he (and others) decide how it's going to be, then he does it in Java and gives it to me to turn into C++. He just gave me a function that takes 33 arguments. 33! Most of them are strings, but there is a healthy(?) mix of ints, floats, and enums, and they are in no particular order. It's horribly confusing. And this isn't the first time. There was a Java function they had me clean up that probably had about 30ish parameters (I cut it in half but still, why?). I suggested making a struct or class that contains all the necessary parameters that we pass into the function. That way we can get all 33 parameters we need but only pass 1 object to the function. He agreed but said "the guys" (dunno who they are... his management maybe?) like to use parameters and were pretty stiff about it. He said it was probably so it could work with legacy code and that "the guys" say objects cause portability issues. Ummm... portability issues? I'm not buying that one. The object would be 100% portable. And it's a static library so there aren't the DLL issues either. And I'm definitely not buying the legacy code thing, since this is a brand new SDK we're making. There is no legacy code. Anyway, it's hard to use (and maintain) a function with 33 arguments, especially when they usually change every week when the API gets updated. I like my boss; I don't blame him for the parameter mess. He's a smart guy. So I tell myself I blame his boss. Is this normal? Do most work places do this (by "this" I mean use a ridiculous amount of arguments for a function)? [Edited by - MikeTacular on January 9, 2009 4:06:38 PM]
[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

Sponsor:

#2 polymorphed   Members   -  Reputation: 272

1Likes

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:44 AM

Quote:
Original post by MikeTacular
Is this normal?

Nope. The normal thing would be to just pass a pointer/reference to an object containing said 32 arguments. I can't imagine why you'd have any portability issues with plain objects, unless you're planning to port it to FORTRAN. [smile]

#3 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6991

0Likes

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:48 AM

That's exactly what I was thinking. And this is only being made for Windows and Mac OS X. Just passing an object by reference would make life so, so much easier. Not to mention that in the time it took for me to post that, a new API update was made and now there are 34 parameters... sweet...

Plus passing an object would help not break legacy code. I have to keep rewriting my test program everytime the parameters change... that's what I'm doing right now.

[Edited by - MikeTacular on January 9, 2009 4:48:22 PM]

#4 HappyCoder   Members   -  Reputation: 2818

0Likes

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:05 AM

I haven't seen that many parameters in a function. I bet that really cuts down readability. What does it even do? If possible, I would think breaking it up into a bunch of smaller methods that each do their own part would be much better. Of course you can cannot even convince them to wrap up 33 parameters into a class I don't think you could get them to rework the system.

Is this kinds of design typical of the project or is this just one strange piece?

#5 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6991

0Likes

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:18 AM

Oh it absolutely kills readability. And trying to call the function is impossible without Intellisense's help (not that it can help that much with a function that big) or without looking at the function declaration. It's a method that uploads a video, thumbnails, a short preview, etc. to a web server. Most of the parameters have to do with what type of video it is, how it was encoded, how it used to be encoded before it was converted (though I don't why they think the video was necessarily converted), etc. It all has to be uploaded at once, so breaking it up can't be done.

Every other function in the project is reasonable and only take 1, 2, or 3 parameters (and they either take primitive data types, C++ STL objects, or classes from the project, so it's a good mix). Although there was one function in another project I did for them that took about 25 or so arguments. I was able to clean it up and cut it in half, but still, even cleaned up it was a ton of arguments. It was in Java so at least when I wrote String it was relatively clean. In my 34 argument C++ function, its riddled with const std::string&, which makes reading even harder.

#6 owl   Banned   -  Reputation: 364

0Likes

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:22 AM

33 is the age at which Jesus died and resurrected. You could take this as an opportunity to propose using "at least" a friggin struct.

If the function is widely used, then you could propose writing a new one and leave the other as "deprecated".

#7 LessBread   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1411

0Likes

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:23 AM

Quote:
And how can you help someone see that 33 is just too many?

Entangle the function with a recursive algorithm of some kind that leads to busting the stack and killing the app.

#8 benryves   Members   -  Reputation: 1994

1Likes

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:32 AM

That reminds me of the joy that is Microsoft Office's COM API, but that's not quite 33. Part of the problem is C#'s lack of support for named or optional parameters, which is fortunately being remedied in C# 4.0!
[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

#9 Sirisian   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1770

0Likes

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:49 AM

Quote:
Original post by benryves
That reminds me of the joy that is Microsoft Office's COM API, but that's not quite 33. Part of the problem is C#'s lack of support for named or optional parameters, which is fortunately being remedied in C# 4.0!
Those are going to be so awesome!!! I can't wait. They should update GDI+ and such so you just pass in what you want. Having to retype defaults to get at something you want to define is pointless :P

#10 janta   Members   -  Reputation: 345

0Likes

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:20 AM

For a good laugh, turn that function into a variadic one.

#11 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6991

0Likes

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:49 AM

Quote:
Original post by janta
For a good laugh, turn that function into a variadic one.
Hahaha now that is tempting.

I just had a nice little chat with my boss and a coworker. My boss is all for using a struct/class, but my coworker isn't. He likes having a lot of parameters. He says it's like a shopping list. He also says there would be alignment issues between C and C++. But we're using C++ objects in the API (like std::string and std::vector)... how do I tell him that we aren't even targeting C? And as for possible alignment errors with C++, how do I combat him on that? Surely if there are alignment errors they'll show up in more than the struct we would be passing for that function? So why worry so much about that one struct that would simplify life so, so mch? And we're delivering libraries for all our targeted compilers and platforms, so that shouldn't be an issue. Someone give me some ammo for his alignment issues argument :)

#12 Kim Jong Il   Members   -  Reputation: 264

0Likes

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:51 AM

33 parameters sounds like a severe design WTF if you ask me. Personally, I consider six to be too many.

#13 owl   Banned   -  Reputation: 364

0Likes

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:57 AM

Quote:
He likes having a lot of parameters. He says it's like a shopping list.

Oh come on! LOL!

#14 polymorphed   Members   -  Reputation: 272

0Likes

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:05 PM

Quote:
He also says there would be alignment issues between C and C++.

He's wrong. Structs are aligned in the exact same way in C/C++. You can change the alignment to 1, 2, 4 or 8 bytes with compiler #pragmas anyway. You should ask him what he means specifically by "alignment errors".

#15 janta   Members   -  Reputation: 345

0Likes

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:16 PM

But why does you function need 33 inputs anyway? Couldn't you split that up, avoiding the many parameters vs. single struct argument entirely? I've never needed so many arguments in a function! Your program is crazy :)

#16 Way Walker   Members   -  Reputation: 744

0Likes

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:23 PM

Quote:
Original post by polymorphed
Quote:
Is this normal?

Nope. The normal thing would be to just pass a pointer/reference to an object containing said 32 arguments. I can't imagine why you'd have any portability issues with plain objects, unless you're planning to port it to FORTRAN. [smile]

Even then, I usually write a wrapper function or macro for the FORTRAN function which takes a struct or two as arguments.

#17 d000hg   Members   -  Reputation: 782

0Likes

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:01 PM

Quote:
I just had a nice little chat with my boss and a coworker. My boss is all for using a struct/class, but my coworker isn't. He likes having a lot of parameters.
Who cares, it is your task and your boss is happy, just do it your way and if the coworker really whinges, tell him he's welcome to add an override that takes the parameters individually.

But, 33 is nothing.

#18 Kim Jong Il   Members   -  Reputation: 264

0Likes

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:06 PM

Quote:
Original post by d000hg
But, 33 is nothing.

LOL, I remember that one. It sounds terrible for me to say this, but I hope someone lost their job over that abomination.

#19 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6991

0Likes

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:58 PM

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOO!!! After my coworker talked to another coworker today, he consented to letting a class be build with accessor methods that we could pass to the function instead of the 34 parameters. Finally! Hopefully management is cool with it too. And I was all ready to rate the 34-parameter function in WTFs/min (obligatory link for those who don't know the reference).

For those who are curious as to what our 34 parameters were, here's the function's declaration (hopefully I don't get in trouble for posting this):

uploadAsset(Application::ApplicationType application, const std::string& applicationVersion,
const std::string& pathToAsset, const std::string& pathToShortPreview,
const std::string& pathToMainThumbnail, const std::string& pathToSummaryThumbnails,
const std::string& shortName, const std::string& description,
const std::string& frameRate, int width, int height, const std::string& audioDataRate,
const std::string& videoDataRate, Asset::AudioBitRateMode audioBitRateMode,
Asset::VideoBitRateMode videoBitRateMode, float videoDuration, const std::string& presetXML,
const std::string& fileType, const std::string& filter, const std::string& audioCodec,
const std::string& videoCodec, const std::string& authorName, const std::string& sourceFileName,
const std::string& sourceFileType, const std::string& sourceAudioCodec,
const std::string& sourceVideoCodec, const std::string& sourceFrameRate, int sourceWidth,
int sourceHeight, const std::string& sourceAudioDataRate,
Asset::AudioBitRateMode sourceAudioBitRateMode, const std::string& sourceVideoDataRate,
Asset::VideoBitRateMode sourceVideoBitRateMode,
bool (*progressCallback)(float))

Imagine trying to call that function off the top of your head haha!

[edit]

Just saw your post d000hg, and that function is a true, bona fide nightmare.

#20 polymorphed   Members   -  Reputation: 272

0Likes

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:16 PM

Quote:
Original post by d000hg
But, 33 is nothing.

Hmm. Wow. I'm genuinely surprised that the person who wrote that code was able to operate a keyboard.

PARTNERS