• Create Account

WS_POPUP

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kest   Members   -  Reputation: 547

0Likes

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:46 PM

Does anyone know what this window style does? I can't discern anything at all happening to my window when I add or remove the style. I've searched all over, but can't find a decent explanation of it. MSDN says "Creates a pop-up window". Also, has anyone noticed that WS_OVERLAPPED is 0? I've seen this flag being ORed with other window styles a lot in game engines, but it seems to do absolutely nothing. I wouldn't bring it up, but while searching out the meaning of WS_POPUP, I noticed someone mention that WS_OVERLAPPED represents the absence of WS_POPUP, whatever sense that makes. Thanks for any information.

Sponsor:

#2 Colin Jeanne   Members   -  Reputation: 1114

0Likes

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:54 AM

A popup window is just a generic, bare-minimum window (no capture, no title bar, no border). WS_OVERLAPPED, however, usually has these window parts. The fact that WS_OVERLAPPED is 0 is probably so that it can be used for readability and semantics.

#3 Codeka   Members   -  Reputation: 1157

0Likes

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:18 AM

Quote:
Original post by Kest
Does anyone know what this window style does? I can't discern anything at all happening to my window when I add or remove the style.

What other styles are you combining it with, though? That's the important thing...

#4 Kest   Members   -  Reputation: 547

0Likes

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:03 PM

Quote:
Original post by Codeka
Quote:
Original post by Kest
Does anyone know what this window style does? I can't discern anything at all happening to my window when I add or remove the style.

What other styles are you combining it with, though? That's the important thing...

In window mode: WS_POPUP | WS_CAPTION | WS_SYSMENU | WS_MINIMIZEBOX | WS_MAXIMIZEBOX | WS_VISIBLE
In full screen: WS_POPUP | WS_VISIBLE

#5 Evil Steve   Members   -  Reputation: 1986

0Likes

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:28 PM

Quote:
Original post by Kest
Quote:
Original post by Codeka
Quote:
Original post by Kest

In window mode: WS_POPUP | WS_CAPTION | WS_SYSMENU | WS_MINIMIZEBOX | WS_MAXIMIZEBOX | WS_VISIBLE
Any reason you're not used WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW for windowed mode? That's a "standard" windpw.

#6 Kest   Members   -  Reputation: 547

0Likes

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:36 AM

Quote:
Original post by Evil Steve
Quote:
Original post by Kest
Quote:
Original post by Codeka
Quote:
Original post by Kest

Any reason you're not used WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW for windowed mode? That's a "standard" windpw.

I'm not actually using WS_POPUP yet, just trying to understand it. Otherwise, the styles I mentioned are the equivalent of WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW except for WS_THICKFRAME.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS