• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Which is best to program games ?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
21 replies to this topic

#1 Metal Typhoon   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 June 2001 - 06:09 AM

Borland c++ builder 5 or Visual c++ 6.0. I have these two IDE but i don''t know in which on to start !!! So please if you''re reading this help me !!!!! I''m a beginner "The shortcut is not always the best way " Metal Typhoon

Sponsor:

#2 bracken   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 June 2001 - 06:23 AM

I would say VC++ 6. I''ve never used Borland, but VC++6 is great

-Greg, The lazy webmaster

#3 Martee   Members   -  Reputation: 476

Posted 23 June 2001 - 06:31 AM

VC++ is the industry standard, and it''s much less of a hassle to get DirectX running with it.

~~~~~~~~~~
Martee

#4 bracken   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 June 2001 - 07:43 AM

it''s just expensive.

-Greg, The lazy webmaster

#5 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 23 June 2001 - 07:50 AM

Why do you have both when you can''t use either and as
each costs fucking much.
i smell piracy.

violent1

#6 Morbo   Members   -  Reputation: 218

Posted 23 June 2001 - 07:55 AM

Just to mess things up, I''ll throw in another option: CodeWarrior. It has awesome project management, good code generation, a clean interface, and the best debugger I''ve worked with (including Builder and VC). But if I had to choose between the two, I''d go with Builder, because then you can use the same IDE to crank out good tools for your games.

[rant]I''m tired of people who say VC is the best when they haven''t tried anything else! Try other IDE''s out, you may be surpised.[/rant]

#7 GameCreator   Members   -  Reputation: 786

Posted 23 June 2001 - 08:51 AM

I would suggest Visual C++.

It is the standard as was already mentioned. Also you will find many more tutorials for it than anything else especially if you also end up using OpenGL or DirectX.

However, to balance that out, I''ve seen some nice tutorials online for Borland as well. For regular programs like installers and other non-game programs I would suggest Borland.

I guess it depends on where you''re planning to go with it.

#8 Metal Typhoon   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 June 2001 - 08:54 AM

I've heard that borland's compiler is better than vc++. And one question. Can i use Directx in Borland c+ Builder ?

Edited by - Metal Typhoon on June 23, 2001 3:56:10 PM

#9 Cyberdrek   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 23 June 2001 - 09:04 AM

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Why do you have both when you can''t use either and as
each costs fucking much.
i smell piracy.

violent1

Can''t you answer a simple question??? If you can''t, why post. Just answer the question and that''s it...

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
A division of DLC Multimedia

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

#10 FDGaming   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 June 2001 - 09:21 AM

Yes, you can use DirectX in Borland, but it is a bit of a hassle, as Martee suggested. I''ve worked in Borland, and I HATE it, it isn''t a very good thing to do game programming in it.

-Fredric

#11 deadlinegrunt   Members   -  Reputation: 123

Posted 23 June 2001 - 09:26 AM

My advice would be for you to choose the one that helps YOU to be the most productive. Myself, I would go with the one that just feels right: gcc/vi/emacs Seriously though MSVC++ is the standard with most major development houses of software in general. The problem I had with Borland C++ 4.52 (way back then) was that they were always at least 6 months behind, at least, supporting MS latest *innovations*.

YAP-YFIO
-deadlinegrunt

I own MSVC++ 6.0 Enterprise edition. I only run linux at home right now. Hmm, maybe that wasn''t the smartest thing I''ve done...

#12 Metal Typhoon   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 June 2001 - 02:00 PM

Thankx.

That was the answer that i was waiting for !!!!!

#13 Metal Typhoon   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 June 2001 - 02:00 PM

Thankx.

That was the answer that i was waiting for !!!!!

"The shortcut is not always the best way "

Metal Typhoon

#14 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 23 June 2001 - 02:10 PM

Wait Wait! !

I would use Borland C++ 5. Because the damn ANSI standard for VC++ is not up to date. You know I use Borland C++ 5.0 (not builder). It''s great and with the right help you can get DirectX8 and OpenGL working on it. When these guy''s say Borland sets them back 6 months in software deveopment that is a bunch of bull. Thats from there mistakes not Borlands (damn bad programmers should stop posting messages).

Oh and you have both hmmmmmmm ..... I wont go on further

#15 Hoside   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 June 2001 - 02:40 PM

Why use borland? Most companies and people use vc++. Not to mention its eaiser to use directx and opengl on it.

"It''s great and with the right help you can get DirectX8 and OpenGL working on it."

But y not just use vc++ and make life easier? Specially if ur going to be a professional.

- Goblineye Entertainment

#16 Null and Void   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1087

Posted 23 June 2001 - 03:01 PM

I've used Borland C++ 5.0 (the REALLY old one, not the new one), MSVC 6.0, and Code Warrior (I don't know what version it was, it was a year ago, but I used it on a Mac).

The old Borland was pretty nice compared to MSVC 2.0 or whatever was out back then, but all the stuff I used from then is out of date, so it doesn't matter much. Borland is still probably the most ANSI C++ complient compiler (which is both a good, and a bad thing). It doesn't produce very optimized code compared to many today (even the new bcc32 is kind of lacking in optimization).

MSVC 6.0 has a nice IDE, but it lacks a lot of ANSI standard features. Most importantly, it is missing "export" (GCC is missing it too, so I guess I can't get too mad about that). It optimizes decently, but not nearly as well as some compilers (GCC, VectorC, and/or Intel C/C++ do better 95% of the time). Still, I'd advise using it for Windows development over other compilers for general projects. For RAD you may want to use BCB.

I really didn't like Code Warrior (remember, I used the Mac version, I haven't used the Windows version). It does decent with optimization (probably better than MSVC in 50% of cases, but not always) though. I found the IDE annoying to use (possibly due to it being a Mac, once again). But, liking an IDE is an opinion, so you may love it. Code Warrior probably isn't an option since you don't own it though.

[Resist Windows XP's Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

Edited by - Null and Void on June 23, 2001 10:02:48 PM

#17 Metal Typhoon   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 June 2001 - 03:39 PM

Oh man ! you guys are great. U just gave me one more reason for me to stick with borland. And what''s the difference putting Directx or Opengl work with borland c++ builder and vc++ ?

Metal Typhoon

#18 Null and Void   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1087

Posted 23 June 2001 - 05:27 PM

Using OpenGL is the same with just about every compiler I know of, since its headers and libraries are almost always supplied with the compiler. DirectX is different though. Microsoft only makes libraries for using DirectX with MSVC. Although, most of them can be reproduced using implib (it takes a DLL and turns it into a library for Borland), some of the libraries don''t have DLL''s. There are a number of complete sets of libraries that people have custom made for DirectX that will work in Borland, but you''ll have to look around to find them.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

#19 Metal Typhoon   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 24 June 2001 - 05:51 AM

Anyways, OpenGL is what i''m looking for since it''s better than DirectX , right ?

Metal Typhoon

#20 AynRand   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 26 June 2001 - 03:48 PM

OpenGL is losing the battle buddy. Direct X is definitely in control.

But honestly it doesnt matter which compiler you use at first, but when you get a job in the industry it will. Since VC++ is the standard it is good learn now, and have it on your resume. If you learn the ins and outs of the IDE, you can do some cool stuff. MFC is also a BIG help when making game tools. And the documentation is awesome.

On the other hand, Borland tends to be the choice for beginners because its less complicated and easier to use.

Its power and compatability vs. ease of use. You choose, young jedi. If you learn with VC++ you wont regret it!

---------------------------------------
"When I lie, I am telling the truth"

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS