• Create Account

Efficiency of Quadric Functions in OpenGL

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 drstrangeluv   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 31 December 1999 - 10:13 AM

I was wondering how efficient are the quadric functions built into OpenGL (gluSphere, gluCylinder, etc.) and should I be using them to draw primitives for a game?

Sponsor:

#2 kolpo   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 01 January 2000 - 01:11 AM

I think that they are good for tutorials or simple applications. But for games would I prefere creating your own objects with the glVertex or a similar commmand.
-This gives you control over every vertex of your world and that can be usefull for animation, texture mapping, texture animation and special effects.
-You can then create quite simple code to save and load the position,color and texture coördinaat of every vertex in or from a file.
-You are not forced to use the standart forms and you can create every form you can imagine.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS