• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Don't forget to read Tuesday's email newsletter for your chance to win a free copy of Construct 2!

Good calculator for programmers?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
26 replies to this topic

#1 Vortez   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2704

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:40 AM

Hi, sometime i feel like the calculator included with windows cumbersome, because it dont allow u to see/write more 0 before the number, has no separator or quick way to see a large number easily ect, little anoyance like that, so i was wondering if someonw knew of a good calculator for programming they found or even made themself, that would be great. I searched a bit a can't find one i like or that is free. Thx for ur help in advance.

Sponsor:

#2 Telastyn   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3726

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:54 AM

Eh?

I'll use the google calculator for certain things the windows one doesn't do, but I don't understand your gripes to even consider if that'd be helpful to you...

#3 Cakey   Members   -  Reputation: 144

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:57 AM

I use my TI-83. I needed it for class, and it comes endlessly handy. It's also nice to have something not attached to the computer once and a while.

#4 KulSeran   Members   -  Reputation: 2565

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:08 AM

I use my debugger's watch window. Expecially since most the calculations I need to do are from numbers in game anyway, just drag a few variables together put a * or + or whatever sign in there, and check what my new value is. And it handles hex, so all the better for address calculations and such when digging through assembly for information on a crash.

#5 Mantear   Members   -  Reputation: 251

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:12 AM

Quote:
Original post by Vortez
Hi, sometime i feel like the calculator included with windows cumbersome, because it dont allow u to see/write more 0 before the number, has no separator or quick way to see a large number easily ect, little anoyance like that, so i was wondering if someonw knew of a good calculator for programming they found or even made themself, that would be great. I searched a bit a can't find one i like or that is free.

Thx for ur help in advance.

[View -> Digit grouping] will fix your "no separator" problem.

Can't beat Calculator for quick decimal<->hex<->binary conversions. For anything more than just a quick addition or multiplication, I bring up Matlab.

#6 Vortez   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2704

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:34 AM

Well, i just find that, seem not so bad, http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/program/pcalc.htm

Neat one, it's free and just look at the help file to know how it work.

#7 rip-off   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8517

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:55 AM

A scripting language with REPL is good for many tasks.

#8 caldiar   Members   -  Reputation: 702

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:01 AM

I use the Windows calculator. The only time I ever need to use it is when I need to convert a decimal number to hex or hex to decimal.

If I actually need a calculator I just write a little bit of code and run the program.

I suppose that an actual calculator would be nifty for double checking to see if you're doing things right in your program though...

#9 Pzc   Members   -  Reputation: 216

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:35 AM

Microsoft's Power Calculator from their PowerToys is kinda neat.

#10 xissburg   Members   -  Reputation: 200

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:42 AM

I use 3dsMax MaxScript Listener. ROFL. Its very good

#11 xissburg   Members   -  Reputation: 200

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:52 AM

Quote:
Original post by Pzc
Microsoft's Power Calculator from their PowerToys is kinda neat.

Hey thanks! I used it for 5 minutes and got to love it ;) very neat indeed. unfortunately it doesn't draw 2 variables functions graphs =(

#12 PolyVox   Members   -  Reputation: 708

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:07 AM

There's also the open-source and rather nice SpeedCrunch

#13 Cosmic R   Members   -  Reputation: 157

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:21 AM

the calc that comes with ubuntu suits me. its got leading zeros and digit grouping, and it can do much more that windows calc, such as square root without having to use the x^y button.

#14 SiCrane   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9627

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:31 AM

You don't need the x^y button to do square roots with Windows calc. You can also use Inv x^2

#15 Matias Goldberg   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3570

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:35 AM

I use the Windows calculator and KCalc on Linux.
For more advanced math, I use wxMaxima and a good sheet of paper.

Cheers
Dark Sylinc

#16 Luckless   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1842

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:27 AM

Python.

Really, run in interactive mode it makes one of the best and most flexible calculators out there.

#17 Captain P   Members   -  Reputation: 1092

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:37 AM

Quote:
Original post by Talroth
Python.

Yeah. Python and Google calculator are usually all I use. Quick and flexible.

Quote:
Original post by caldiar
I use the Windows calculator. The only time I ever need to use it is when I need to convert a decimal number to hex or hex to decimal.

Google will do as well: '0x10 in decimal' or '16 in hex'. Octal and binary work too. :)
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.

#18 caldiar   Members   -  Reputation: 702

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:31 AM

Quote:
Original post by Captain P

Quote:
Original post by caldiar

Google will do as well: '0x10 in decimal' or '16 in hex'. Octal and binary work too. :)

yeah but doing a google search takes longer :P

#19 oler1s   Members   -  Reputation: 589

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:00 PM

Quote:
yeah but doing a google search takes longer :P
You would be surprised. Quite often you always have a browser open, set to the Google search page.

The other reason I like Google is because I can convert between different units of measurement. It is very handy.

#20 leet bix   Members   -  Reputation: 116

0Likes

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:01 PM

If there's something that the windows calculator won't do for me (rare occasions) then I use my Casio Graphics calculator, fx-9750G PLUS is the model name/number. Although it's not cheap, around 90USD, but damn useful for almost anything you want to do with math.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS