• Create Account

An example of isometric 3d game

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 09 November 1999 - 10:18 AM

http://www.advanced-productions.com/discovery/disc_screenshots.html

Following a line from flipcode, i ran across a game which uses a 3d engine projecting to near isometric perspective. Whats notable about this game is the level of detail vs screen area nearly matches a tradational 2d isometric engine.

-ddn

Sponsor:

#2 ghowland   Members   -  Reputation: 134

Posted 23 September 1999 - 10:53 PM

Yeah, there is no reason a 3D engine cant totally duplicate the look of a 2D isometric tile. For some cases its definitely a good way to go.

-Geoff

#3 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 08 November 1999 - 05:36 PM

I saw that game and it looks great, and my question is if you were to make a game in 3D like that would you need a special engine or could you use a generic 3D engine and just do the rendering in the iso view? And if you can use a generic 3D engine how might you go about doing the graphics or would it be just like implementing regular 3D graphics? Also Geoff sorry to trouble you but I was wondering if you were going to make your game engine avialable to others eather for pay or for free, cause I'm trying to make a game but I'm not a programmer and I want to make it a free game but all the game engines that would work for my game are $20,000.00 and up if you would rather reply off list my e-mail is... mclarnon@cybertours.com.

Thanks
Phade

#4 Dave Astle   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 2307

Posted 09 November 1999 - 04:08 AM

I've never tried it, but I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to use a 3D engine to make an isometric game. After all, isometric projections are a form 3D projection, they just aren't normally done in real-time.

#5 Niels   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 November 1999 - 04:52 AM

While it is possible, I'm not sure it is optimal. A lot of things are simpler in ISO - No perspective distortion for example - You might be able to pull off a faster engine if it is designed to do ISO mapping exclusively.

Just a thought!

/Niels

#6 Dave Astle   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 2307

Posted 09 November 1999 - 10:18 AM

True. Any time you apply a generic solution to a specific problem you are probably going to see lower performance than writing code specific to your purpose. So although you COULD use a generic 3D engine for an iso game, whether or you SHOULD is up to you, and it depends a lot on the engine you choose and what elements of it your game would use.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS