• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

2D Side-Scroller Game Engine

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sushii   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:28 PM

Hey everyone. I am kinda new here, i am a pixel artist and have some knowledge on C++. I wanted to create a simple 2D Side Scroller like Sonic or Super Mario. Is there any free Engine to create 2D Side Scrollers? My C++ is pretty basic, doesn't get too much arround, i know voids and stuff like that, i do mathematic and programming exercises at school, but i am not prepared to create my own engine yet. Thanks in advance.

Sponsor:

#2 kostiak2   Members   -  Reputation: 127

0Likes

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:40 PM

I am currently working on one.

If you would like to join me, I would be happy to have a sprite artist to work with.

My email is kkaploon@gmail.com

kost.

#3 Sushii   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:20 PM

Thanks, i might email you later.
But i wanted to know if there is a FREE engine that i can download.

#4 Alesto   Members   -  Reputation: 143

0Likes

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:32 PM

Maybe a GUI system is something you need. One example is ceGUI:
http://www.cegui.org.uk/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

#5 Sushii   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:09 AM

That is exactly what i was looking for, ill try to look deeper into this.
Thank you!

#6 jeroenb   Members   -  Reputation: 257

0Likes

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:47 AM

I am working on a free & cross platform 2d scroller engine/framework. You can check it out at http://jenginesse.sourceforge.net/

I want to make clear that it is work in progress.

#7 Somnia   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:29 AM

Also consider HGE:

http://hge.relishgames.com/doc/index.html

I've only just started looking at it but it seems quite simple to get started. I don't think it has as many GUI elements as CEGUI, but it may be possible to use the two together, I haven't tried yet.

#8 Captain P   Members   -  Reputation: 1092

0Likes

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:13 AM

I'd look into Flash or GameMaker if I were you. Or Python and Pygame or Pyglet. Games don't necessarily need to be made with C++ after all... ;)
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.

#9 Sushii   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:46 AM

Quote:
Original post by Captain P
I'd look into Flash or GameMaker if I were you. Or Python and Pygame or Pyglet. Games don't necessarily need to be made with C++ after all... ;)

Thanks, i'm checking it out, it might just be what i need!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS