Unresolved External Errors with PlaySound?

Started by
2 comments, last by Daishim 22 years, 9 months ago
I''m using the code from Andre LaMothe''s Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus in MSVC++ 6 and I get an unresolved external error when using code that I typed in and the code from the book/CD source when using the PlaySound function. From the looks of it, the problem is with the PlaySound function, did they change this function since the book was published? demo3_2.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__PlaySoundA@12 test1___Win32_Debug/test1.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals

I know only that which I know, but I do not know what I know.
Advertisement
Did you include dsound.lib in your project?? because it''s giving you a linking error, it COULD be because of this..

Erik
Learn about game programming!Games Programming in C++: Start to Finish
dsound.lib is the DirectSound library. The function PlaySound is a Win32 API function and is found in the library WinMM.lib, so make sure you're linking with that.

I think it's hilarious how nearly everyone around here is programmed like a chicken to think DirectX...

Edited by - merlin9x9 on June 30, 2001 2:10:06 PM
Try including those:

Header: mmsystem.h. // You probably have this, because you can compile

Import Library: winmm.lib. // place this in the linker settings

Note: When you are using standard win32api functions look them up in the msdn. At the bottom of the description is (mostly) a field called "Quick Info" where you can see which headers and libs are required for that function. Very helpful.

baumep

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement