• Create Account

C or C++ for newbie??

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 CodieDAO   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 01 July 2001 - 02:23 AM

Hi, I''m quite new to game programming (but have used ''DarkBASIC'' before) and will soon be getting MSVC++ compiler. What I want to know is: should I learn C or go straight to C++? I expect to get a job in the games industry as a programmer so I''ve obviously got to learn C++ some time but is it okay as a first language? Thanks ----------------- =[CodieDAO]=

Sponsor:

#2 dommat   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 01 July 2001 - 07:05 AM

if ure almost brand new to programming, i would start at java-script, and then possibly move on to C or C++, if u know at least a little about programming I would try learning visual basic (im not sure what dark basic is) before you move on to C or C++

-dommat

#3 draqza   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 01 July 2001 - 07:05 AM

I''d say go ahead and learn straight C++, because 90% of what you learn with it is going to be C anyway...

quote:

I expect to get a job in the games industry as a programmer

*sigh* Don''t we all?
--

WNDCLASSEX Reality;
Reality.lpfnWndProc=ComputerGames;
RegisterClassEx(&Reality);

Unable to register Reality...what''s wrong?
---------
Dan Upton
Lead Designer
WolfHeart Software

#4 draqza   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 01 July 2001 - 07:07 AM

quote:
Original post by dommat
if ure almost brand new to programming, i would start at java-script, and then possibly move on to C or C++, if u know at least a little about programming I would try learning visual basic (im not sure what dark basic is) before you move on to C or C++

-dommat

DarkBASIC is supposed to be a language designed specifically for programming games, as easily as possible--a language relatively close to BASIC/QBasic, with native windows and directx support.

#5 diamondhawk   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 01 July 2001 - 07:31 AM

Go with learning C++ It will give you some experience with Object Orientation as well as C does not have any Object Orientation. Then move on to C which will be an easy transition to learn due to the fact that C++ was derived from C. And if you want after that, I''d suggest learning something like Java.

~Diamondhawk

#6 CodieDAO   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 01 July 2001 - 08:50 AM

Thanks you everyone! Any one else?
;(

=[CodieDAO]=

#7 Cyberdrek   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 03 July 2001 - 12:21 AM

quote:
Original post by CodieDAO
Hi,
I''m quite new to game programming (but have used ''DarkBASIC'' before) and will soon be getting MSVC++ compiler. What I want to know is: should I learn C or go straight to C++? I expect to get a job in the games industry as a programmer so I''ve obviously got to learn C++ some time but is it okay as a first language?

Thanks

-----------------

=[CodieDAO]=

To all Newbies, not just you CodieDAO, You must get one thing straight, C++ is an extension of C which has the possibility for Classes, Function overloading, etc. So basicly, wether you learn C or C++, you will still learn the other anyways. Now, with that said, grab any C/C++ book you can find and start learning especially if you plan on getting a job in the game industry( It''s not as easy as you think. I''ve been trying for years. ) Anyhow, these are my views...

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
A division of DLC Multimedia

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS