• Create Account

Loading 3ds models with OpenGL ?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Evil-Dog   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 01 July 2001 - 05:38 AM

Hi guys ! I recently decided that it was the time for my rebellion against Microsoft and I dropped D3D and started to learn OpenGL Now I''m trying to load 3ds models in my openGL "game" and I wonder if there''s an easy way ( I don''t really care if there''s only a hard way ) ? So the question is What is the best technic to load 3ds models into an OpenGL application. Thanks ! Marco Arsenault Programmer : Device that converts caffeine into code.

Sponsor:

#2 sysmark   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 01 July 2001 - 06:47 AM

easy way:

use code that somebody else wrote! Check the "code of the day" collection at www.flipcode.com

hard way:

write your own loader....

#3 mittens   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1315

Posted 01 July 2001 - 02:10 PM

Heres a hint... DON''T CODE A 3DS LOADER! Unless you need it for inporting/exporting for a modeling program, the best models you can load in are .ms3d, and .md2|.md3s. .ms3d is the milkshape format (and milkshape has support for a helluva lot of files), and .md2|.md3 are the quake 2|3 (respectively) format, and they have a lot of models for them over at polycount.com (not the real site, but it will automatically forward you).

------------------------------
Trent (ShiningKnight)
E-mail me
OpenGL Game Programming Tutorials

#4 Tha_HoodRat   Members   -  Reputation: 143

Posted 02 July 2001 - 04:10 AM

quote:
Original post by Evil-Dog
Hi guys !
I recently decided that it was the time for my rebellion against Microsoft and I dropped D3D and started to learn OpenGL.

Im glad to know Im not the only one.

#5 Evil-Dog   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 02 July 2001 - 05:37 AM

Good to hear that Tha_HoodRat !

I hope we''re a bunch of people dropping D3D now !
Microsoft must die !
haha !

Programmer :
Device that converts caffeine into code.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS