• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Whats the best turn based strategy game ever?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
50 replies to this topic

#41 Pluvious   Members   -  Reputation: 119

0Likes

Posted 03 May 2009 - 07:14 PM

Quote:
Original post by Telastyn
Age of Wonders was okay, but certain bits were unbalanced. And the whole 'no random map generation' bit. It's only the most vital feature of any 4x game...

I know Age of Wonders Shadow Magic did have a random map generator though.

My favorite genre by far. Recently (several months ago) I sold off all my Age of Wonders games, Homm series, Fantasy General, plus a bunch of old TBS playstation 2 games like Brigandine and Ogre Tactics. I needed the money!

I made a good $1000 but now I miss them all (sentimental value) and Im going to start buying them back! :)

Sponsor:

#42 smitty1276   Members   -  Reputation: 560

0Likes

Posted 03 May 2009 - 07:20 PM

THe original Romance of the Three Kingdoms was awesome at the time. I don't know if its the "best ever" but it definitely set my expectations for that turn-based war strategy/empire-building genre.

#43 Azenrain   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:54 AM

X-com ufo defense was a definite fave, while Archon was probably my FIRST fave video game turn based strategy :).

#44 pundit   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:57 AM

xcom & jagged alliance 2!

#45 Telastyn   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3730

0Likes

Posted 04 May 2009 - 04:21 AM

Quote:
Original post by Pluvious
Quote:
Original post by Telastyn
Age of Wonders was okay, but certain bits were unbalanced. And the whole 'no random map generation' bit. It's only the most vital feature of any 4x game...

I know Age of Wonders Shadow Magic did have a random map generator though.

Ah, sweet. Wish I knew that when the game was modern.

#46 ID Merlin   Members   -  Reputation: 115

0Likes

Posted 06 May 2009 - 02:40 PM

I'm definitely NOT unbiased, but quite a few people thought Sword of Aragon was revolutionary, and inspired many other games that came afterward.

#47 therookie   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 16 May 2009 - 09:06 PM

Wargames2.0 is a Wargame that you can control every aspect of a country from tax,production,building, ETC.you can also join an alliance or fight solo.I have played a lot of turn based strategy games and i like this the best

wargames2

[Edited by - therookie on May 17, 2009 5:06:57 AM]

#48 Stardog   Members   -  Reputation: 124

0Likes

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:50 AM

Vandal Hearts II -

#49 domhnall4h   Members   -  Reputation: 176

0Likes

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:49 AM

I had Vandal Hearts II. Can't find it now to save my life though, and had forgotten the name of it. One of the frustrating things about it though was that the game did not target the creatures. It targeted locations. So if you had one guy attack something, and it moved to attack him, they'd each go to the square that their respective targets had started the round in, rather than follow each other. I quit because of this; I spent 30 minuets chasing one boss around in a circle before giving up. My other characters had been knocked out.

If you do that one, please make sure that the game knows to target UNITS, not locations on the grid!

#50 nuvm   Members   -  Reputation: 326

0Likes

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:05 PM

Quote:
Original post by GuyWithBeard
Quote:
Original post by DarkHorizon
Tafl predates Chess by over 1000 years, but isn't nearly as popular. Other forms predate it, too.

Shameless plug :)

Keep on plugging! Any chance you could add networked multiplayer?

(sorry for the OT, but it's quite fun :)

#51 ohnam   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:01 AM

Xcom by far. Even tho I loved chess the mechanics in Xcom were superb.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS