• Create Account

Good tuts on procedural planet generation?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 ahlywog   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:20 PM

Just curious at how it's done. So if anyone has any links to good tutorials for procedural planet generation and terrain generation I would appreciate it. Thx.

Sponsor:

#2 grhodes_at_work   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1361

2Likes

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:54 PM

There actually is a tutorial here on gamedev that you may find useful:

Procedural Planets Part 1 - Structure

Looks like it didn't go to a part 2, though, and the author's site seems to be down.

You might find something useful at vterrain.org

Apart from that, I don't have any links to specific presentations, but Ken Musgrave in the past has given good overview tutorials @ the annual SIGGRAPH conference. I can personally recommend that. You might find one of those with a Google search. His company, Pandromeda, (which seems to have gone silent but still with an available webpage) sells an artist application for generating procedural planets, called Mojoworld. It can be consider to be in the same class as things like Bryce and TerraGen, but I like the control that Mojoworld provides for customizing the fractal equations.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net

#3 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 9856

1Likes

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:43 PM

There are usually one two threads here at any given time on procedural planets, such as this one.

As far as actual resources go, Sean O'Neil has a wealth of information, the Infinite Universe Engine offers a detailed paper and source code, and Ysaneya's journal is a veritable gold mine.

I myself have only pretty pictures [wink]

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS