• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

Make iPhone Apps on a PC

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
47 replies to this topic

#1 Eagle11   Members   -  Reputation: 126

0Likes

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:25 AM

Is there any way to make iPhone apps on a PC? I would like to make apps for the iPhone/iTouch, but I don't have a mac. Thanks.

Sponsor:

#2 Buster2000   Members   -  Reputation: 1991

0Likes

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:03 AM

Yes it is technically possible and there is several ways of doing it but thay all breech Apples EULA so it isn't legally possible.

#3 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6995

0Likes

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:04 AM

Quote:
Original post by Eagle11
Is there any way to make iPhone apps on a PC? I would like to make apps for the iPhone/iTouch, but I don't have a mac.
Thanks.

Nope. You've gotta have a Mac. Apple only releases a Mac version of the iPhone SDK.

[edit]

ninja'd++;
[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#4 Dave Hunt   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2643

0Likes

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:05 AM

There's no way to do it. Even if you found all the frameworks (Cocoa, Foundation, etc.), you wouldn't be able to deploy/test the application on the iPhone, nor would you have the emulator that lets you test on your computer before deployment.

#5 ibebrett   Members   -  Reputation: 205

0Likes

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:18 AM

apparently you can do it by pirating some sort of hacked version of the mac os that can be run on on a pc, but this is definitely illegal.

#6 ibebrett   Members   -  Reputation: 205

0Likes

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:21 AM

apparently you can do it by pirating some sort of hacked version of the mac os that can be run on on a pc, but this is definitely illegal.

#7 DrEvil   Members   -  Reputation: 1105

0Likes

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:26 AM

You can 'make' the game on a cross platform toolset such as the one found here http://codesuppository.blogspot.com/ but you still need a mac to compile the iPhone version and deploy it for the iPhone.

#8 Eagle11   Members   -  Reputation: 126

0Likes

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:19 AM

Well, that kinda stinks. I don't have $1300 to spend on a mac... oh well.

#9 Dave Hunt   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2643

0Likes

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:27 AM

Quote:
Original post by Eagle11

The Mac Mini is $599 and you can use your existing monitor, mouse and keyboard. Of course, if you don't have $599, you're still sunk. ;-)

#10 Eagle11   Members   -  Reputation: 126

0Likes

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:26 AM

Yeah, for now i'm still out of luck. Maybe after the summer I'll have some extra cash...

#11 eedok   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 971

0Likes

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:34 AM

What's the legal stance of buying a copy of OSX then running it in VM?

#12 djofdifjpodjfpodkpofdpofpd   Members   -  Reputation: 120

0Likes

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:44 AM

Quote:
Original post by eedok
What's the legal stance of buying a copy of OSX then running it in VM?

It is against the Leopard Server TOS to use on none apple hardware, for other versions it is against the TOS even using apple hardware.

#13 TheTroll   Members   -  Reputation: 883

0Likes

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:37 AM

I found it easier just to suck it up and buy a Macbook pro and then duel boot Vista with Boot Camp.

theTroll

#14 3DModelerMan   Members   -  Reputation: 1103

0Likes

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:44 AM

Maybe you could check eBay for some sort of cheap old Mac, and use Mac to compile?

#15 DrEvil   Members   -  Reputation: 1105

0Likes

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:52 AM

Yea I use a mac mini. It's more than powerful enough for iPhone development. Anything more than that is overkill.

#16 daviangel   Members   -  Reputation: 604

0Likes

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:50 AM

Quote:
Original post by Dave Hunt
Quote:
Original post by Eagle11

The Mac Mini is $599 and you can use your existing monitor, mouse and keyboard. Of course, if you don't have $599, you're still sunk. ;-)

Yeah, it looks like I might have to get a macmini myself since my powerpc mac powerbook also isn't supported for iphone development!
You need to have an Intel based Mac I believe at least that's what it told me last time I tried to use the iphone devkit.

#17 captainfreedom   Members   -  Reputation: 92

0Likes

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:14 PM

Firstly, it's not illegal to make an iPhone app on Windows... chist, I mean we are living in a free country after all. However, you would have to use a hacked toolchain (that's very difficult to get working) and Apple won't publish your game on appstore.
What you can do is buy a copy of OS X and install it on you PC (known as a hackintosh). This is 100% legal - despite what apple says.

#18 Dave Hunt   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2643

0Likes

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:28 PM

Quote:
Original post by captainfreedom
Firstly, it's not illegal to make an iPhone app on Windows... chist, I mean we are living in a free country after all.

Nobody said it was.
Quote:
Original post by captainfreedomWhat you can do is buy a copy of OS X and install it on you PC (known as a hackintosh). This is 100% legal - despite what apple says.

Unless you are a lawyer, it might be best not to give legal advice. If you are a lawyer, you should know better than to give legal advice.

#19 Eagle11   Members   -  Reputation: 126

0Likes

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:27 PM

With a Mac Mini, could I plug it into my laptop and run mac, then restart and run windows whenever I wanted?

#20 Dave Hunt   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2643

0Likes

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:34 PM

No.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS