• Create Account

mmo server architecture [now with new design idea]

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
32 replies to this topic

#1 Seoushi   Members   -  Reputation: 138

0Likes

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:18 PM

So I've done 2d and 3d single player games and have been a professional game developer for awhile now but I haven't done any serious networking programming. My goal is to write a basic/working mmo server architecture, it may never be complete however I want to give it a shot. I've already decided to go the route of C++ and enet but that is the only thing I'm solid on at the moment. I took some time to design out what I think would be a decent server architecture but I'd like some input on my design. My Server Design I haven't really found detailed resources on this subject although I'm sure it's out there some where, if you know a design that is better I'll love to see the link. [Edited by - Seoushi on April 29, 2009 10:57:09 PM]

Sponsor:

#2 Drew_Benton   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1713

0Likes

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:56 PM

I don't know how MMO servers are setup on the backend to handle changing zones and all that stuff, but up until that point, your design looks fine. It actually resembles a MMO I am familiar, Silkroad Online, almost perfectly. I do know that game does not use a separate chat server though, but aside from that, I've seen that design in practice, so nice work!

I've also seen some games that split the login server into two servers. One is the account server, which is your typical login process and the second server is a character server, where that server handles choosing a character to login with or creating/deleting, etc...

I've also seen some games that do it all on one server, but your design is way more scalable and flexible. However, you do have more points of failure. I've seen some games that use the 2/3 server layout get hit hard when one specific server goes down and interrupts the service. Proper server coding helps alleviate such problems, but it is something to be aware of. Some might see that as a good thing as well, since if the login server has a problem, then people in game won't have any issues until they relogin, so it just depends on how you feel about that.

Quote:
I haven't really found detailed resources on this subject although I'm sure it's out there some where, if you know a design that is better I'll love to see the link.

I don't think there are many resources and especially not many detailed resources simply because of the compromise that could ensue if all games started blueprinting their designs [wink] That's one of the best benefits of knowing assembly and how to reverse engineer, as you can put together your own resources on what's being done on the front end as well as the game networking design.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone on how things are done on the backend especially with the whole master world server and slave world servers that handle different zones and whatnot. I still can't get a clear understanding of how to go about designing for that.

Here's a couple of threads that might interest you:
Distributed server architecture for load balancing
Collection of MMO related posts (Self plug of my own thread, but 20 good threads referenced you might want to read for sure!)
MMO Mapserver Boundaries

#3 samoth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4684

0Likes

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:35 PM

You probably don't need N login servers. One (or two, if you don't want to have a single point of failure) is enough. People don't want to log in 25,000 times per second, and it takes a while to load a game anyway, so even if a login takes 5 seconds, that's fine.

I would let the clients connect to worlds through the "gateway" servers, not directly. This will take away considerable load, and it will make some exploits harder.
For example, the typical "drop and crash the server" type of dup exploits don't work so well if you don't connect to the server, nor know its address at all (ok, these should not work anyway because you hopefully use ACID transactions... but you know, nobody is perfect, you can never be sure that you didn't leave an exploit open somewhere). Now, if the client connects via the gateway, then a forced crash will have the only effect of a few connected users being kicked out, it won't affect the world state, nor the players on the neighbouring nodes.

Patch servers are best implemented as standard web servers (apache, thttpd, or whatever) that serve signed update files. Have the client pick one by random, don't worry which one. If it fails, use the next in the list. This won't give every server perfect minimal load, but it will be close.
That way, it's ridiculously cheap and easy to set up and administer, there are no security troubles, and it will work just as good as a much more complicated solution. You even take advantage of proxy servers, reducing your bandwidth needs. The client can tell genuine patches from the signature, and there is no problem if someone "pirates" patch data -- let them, it's public data anyway.

#4 kyoryu   Members   -  Reputation: 224

0Likes

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:09 PM

Looks pretty reasonable.

The master/area server is definitely a common pattern.

I don't know if a dedicated "chat" server is necessary. YMMV.

I'd consider having the client connect to the "gateway" server, and have it just forward messages to the appropriate world servers, rather than making new connections. That ends up being a little easier.

As far as threading, avoid it. Use non-blocking IO and just single-thread your processes. You'll save yourself a lot of headache. And since you'll probably run multiple processes per physical box, you'll still be taking advantage of multiple cores.

Don't get too crazy with the load-balancing to start with. It probably won't be necessary. Content, rather than CPU, is often the limiting factor, so it's likely that instancing will be a better solution to load-balancing. Dynamic load-balancing sounds neat, but in a lot of cases it's better to just tell individual processes what areas they'll own and go from there.

On a micro-level, the more you build your architecture around messaging, even in a single proc, the easier you'll find things go. Don't ever block on anything.

A remarkably useful thing is to have a separate logging server. Really, it sounds stupid, but is actually pretty useful.

#5 Anders Elton   Members   -  Reputation: 190

0Likes

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:57 AM

why do you need the gateway server?
why cant you just loadbalance patching using dns round robin or something or just let client pick randomly.

i disagree about using master server as proxy to avoid new connections. it will be a major bottleneck and single point of failure.

I would also think that the master server would need a db connection (to read out where your character was last playing at etc, so it can make the decision about what server to send it to)

Other than that it looks pretty sane!

How to you plan on letting people in one world server communicate with other people? using a central chat server? what about teaming across servers?

#6 kyoryu   Members   -  Reputation: 224

0Likes

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:06 AM

Quote:
Original post by _Kami_

i disagree about using master server as proxy to avoid new connections. it will be a major bottleneck and single point of failure.

I've worked on (large) systems that both used a central connection point and didn't. The ones that used a central point ended up being much easier to deal with than the ones that didn't. If load is a problem (it's highly doubtful that it would be, unless your serializatioin requires silly amounts of CPU), spawn multiples of them and round-robin 'em.

#7 nagromo   Members   -  Reputation: 676

0Likes

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:18 AM

You give a startup sequence for the order the servers should be started in. To me, this sounds like a bad idea; if your gateway server goes down, you want to be able to bring it back up without stopping and re-starting you world servers.

You should be able to add other methods of registration, for example a gateway server could send out a request for all the other servers to re-register with it.

#8 Seoushi   Members   -  Reputation: 138

0Likes

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:09 AM

Thanks for all the replies, I didn't figure this thread would get much attention.

The startup sequence is a good point. I think I will keep it the way it is for setting up but if the gateway fails it should broadcast itself. Another way would be to have the gateway broadcast every now and then for new servers. Perhaps there should be multiple gateway servers, 3-5 at max and their basic role is to take over in case one fails.

As for no threading, I could do that however I see the servers being more scalable to multi-core computers if you can just tell it how many worker threads to handle. Doing threading doesn't look bad with boost::threads and especially since I only have two places for shared data locks and mutexes won't be too much of an issue.

The reasoning I have behind the separate chat server is so you don't have to have the game loaded to chat with people in game. For all I care it could be an irc server. It also makes it easier to communicate between servers. Chat could also include voice as well as text so having separate chat servers makes sense in that instance.

From what I've read login and patch servers can get hit pretty hard and I've seen it myself (timeouts on login). Having multiple login servers is a must imho. As for patch servers being http/ftp servers that was pretty much my idea, they don't need to be very complex and existing technology such as apache will work just fine.

Benton, thanks for the links at first I was thinking of doing all movement calculations on the servers however after reading one of those threads I realize even most commerical mmo's don't do it. Now my plan for that is just having sanity checks every now and then.

As a side note I'm thinking of making the servers somewhat like a botnet. For example a server will start up with the generic server then if load gets too high it will ask for a certain type of server (login, world, master world, gateway) and that server will become it. As load becomes less of an issue servers can be demoted to their original botnet state. This would save energy and make it easier to scale the world.

I believe that addresses most of the concerns expressed so far. I realize that this design is quite complex and if I was to make a game based on it that I wouldn't have to have nearly this much scalability (since the population most likely wouldn't get above a couple thousand players) but since I'm doing this for fun I don't see the harm in making it too scalable :) .

EDIT:

I've appended to the end of the original page a revised version of my idea incorporating some suggestions from this thread and some things I've heard about through research ( Here ).

[Edited by - Seoushi on April 29, 2009 10:09:54 PM]

#9 kyoryu   Members   -  Reputation: 224

0Likes

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:08 PM

Quote:
Original post by Seoushi

As for no threading, I could do that however I see the servers being more scalable to multi-core computers if you can just tell it how many worker threads to handle. Doing threading doesn't look bad with boost::threads and especially since I only have two places for shared data locks and mutexes won't be too much of an issue.

To take advantage of multicore systems, you can also use multiple processes per machine.

Quote:
As a side note I'm thinking of making the servers somewhat like a botnet. For example a server will start up with the generic server then if load gets too high it will ask for a certain type of server (login, world, master world, gateway) and that server will become it. As load becomes less of an issue servers can be demoted to their original botnet state. This would save energy and make it easier to scale the world.

I think this will be more complexity than you really need.

Quote:
I believe that addresses most of the concerns expressed so far. I realize that this design is quite complex and if I was to make a game based on it that I wouldn't have to have nearly this much scalability (since the population most likely wouldn't get above a couple thousand players) but since I'm doing this for fun I don't see the harm in making it too scalable :) .

The more time you spend working on your scalability, the less you have to work on your game. In all things, balance.

This is your friend:

send(destination, message);

If this is used for most communications, even internal ones, then moving stuff between servers gets a LOT easier. Look up "Actor model" on wikipedia.

#10 Seoushi   Members   -  Reputation: 138

0Likes

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:26 PM

Quote:
The more time you spend working on your scalability, the less you have to work on your game. In all things, balance.

True, however I don't really have a game in mind yet. The basic plan is to get the architecture in place then start adding in basic game functionality such as moving. The end result will hopefully be generic enough for most mmo's.

#11 kyoryu   Members   -  Reputation: 224

0Likes

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:42 PM

Well, it's up to you. but I wouldn't suggest going down that path.

Designing an "engine" vs. a "game" is hard enough even for folks experienced in a particular area. It's really hard to develop things when you don't actually know the use cases.

When you're learning the problem area as well, it's even tougher.

I've almost always found that libraries/engines/whatever that are developed for a specific case and then expanded on end up much more usable than ones written in a vacuum.

#12 tneva82   Members   -  Reputation: 127

0Likes

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:43 PM

Quote:
Original post by kyoryu
To take advantage of multicore systems, you can also use multiple processes per machine.

*slams his head in the wall* Geez. Why didn't I think on that before :(

Now pretty late to start scaling up for multi-process(and as such one that could be used for multi-computer server) server which I opted not to do because for some bizare reason I thought I would need multiple computers for that...

Ah well. Features to be added later I suppose then ;-)

Boy do I feel stupid. Thank god for these forums. You never know when you realise your mistake just by reading threads ;-)

#13 hplus0603   Moderators   -  Reputation: 5164

0Likes

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:51 AM

Quote:

They can't all accept connections on the same socket, though. Thus, you'll either have to have one networking input process, which then uses shared memory or pipes to funnel data to worker processes, or you'll have to have some service virtualization, such as multiple interfaces with different IP, and one IP per server process, or an up-front service arbiter that can give you a different port for load balancing reasons.

#14 kyoryu   Members   -  Reputation: 224

0Likes

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:50 PM

Or, you can tell the client which machine/port to connect to when they need to switch servers.

But yes, that is the issue with that, and the solutions you proposed are viable ones.

They're probably necessary no matter what, unless you plan on one process per machine.

#15 Seoushi   Members   -  Reputation: 138

0Likes

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:29 PM

So I've done more research, watched a few video presentations and generally feel I have a good idea how big/commercial mmo servers work. From what I've seen few if not any implement a system like I've designed, not because it won't work but rather because you just don't need that much complexity.

I've changed up my design a bit in regards to this and have a built up a roadmap to the "end" design. I feel this will be easier to implement and get something working faster and I can see where the load is going at each stage, perhaps I'm over looking some process that takes too much time and needs to be extracted to it's on server type. You can view the road map here.

From what I've looked at the biggest thing that has impressed me so far is Eve Online. I knew it was a single world (no sharding) and that it had more peek concurrent users than any more users on a single server instance which is impressive by itself but what I didn't know is that it runs on (stackless) python. This made me rethink if I really want to use C++ as it can be error prone, tedious and slow to code efficiently and clearly express what you are doing (big statement however I would say a lot of people would agree python/C#/others are easier to develop in than c++). Threading can also be a hassle and fibers/tasklets/coroutines or whatever you want call them look very very interesting and a good solution. Server are relatively cheap in the scheme of things and even tho python is slow throwing more servers at the problem obviously does work.

The other thing I've noticed that I didn't expect is the use of TCP/IP. Eve Online, World of Warcraft and several other big mmos use TCP/IP exclusively, this imho would make things simpler and not have to rely on ENet or another library which I have no idea if I will run into problems with. Not to mention I don't plan on a FPS MMO so real time movement is less important.

As you guys have discussed running multiple servers on the same computer means you have to use different ports, I don't see this an issue as players connects through the gateway and it's an internal thing.

I'm going to look more into "stackless" languages and see which one I like better. I may just go the python route. Either way I think I have a solid route for development and expansion, feel free to criticize :) .

#16 hplus0603   Moderators   -  Reputation: 5164

0Likes

Posted 02 May 2009 - 04:03 AM

"stackless" is a misnomer IMO -- there's still a stack involved. The only thing with "stackless" python is that it allocates its own stacks, fiber style, rather than using the C stack. That, in itself, is not much of a benefit IMO.

Co-routines and fibers are interesting from many aspects, but they do not let you scale across multiple cores on a single CPU. You need real, pre-emptive threads to do that. It is possible to combine fibers with threads, if that's what floats your boat. I think the more important design take-away is that of sending data along with processing to the processing hub, and then executing a queue of tasks.

The main design choice for lean server-side utilization is to make the game not based on continual server-side simulation. In games like WoW, and Eve especially, the physics does not need to run server side. Instead, the server just acts as a router for player information, and an arbiter of seldom-executed game rules. If you can accept a one-second latency for any player commands, the server only needs to process player commands once a second at most, which will use a lot less CPU than a server that runs physics for the entire world at 30 times a second or more.

#17 rmtew   Members   -  Reputation: 116

0Likes

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:01 AM

Quote:
Original post by hplus0603"stackless" is a misnomer IMO -- there's still a stack involved. The only thing with "stackless" python is that it allocates its own stacks, fiber style, rather than using the C stack. That, in itself, is not much of a benefit IMO.
Stackless does not allocate stacks, fiber style. When a switch is done from one microthread to another, it copies the area of stack that has been used from the current microthread to a buffer, then copies back onto the stack the corresponding buffer from the next microthread. As I understand fibers, this is much more lightweight than they are. Last I looked at Windows fibers, they allocated a stack, like proper threads. Coincidentally, Windows fibers were one of the solutions that were considered by CCP back in 2000.

The name Stackless is a holdover of its original implementation and not an advertisement of benefit. Ditching the stacklessness and the accompanying continuations they allowed the implementation of, had no downsides except to those who desire continuations.
Quote:
Original post by hplus0603Co-routines and fibers are interesting from many aspects, but they do not let you scale across multiple cores on a single CPU. You need real, pre-emptive threads to do that. It is possible to combine fibers with threads, if that's what floats your boat.
Yes. In my experience, the benefits of coroutines are as a tool suitable for building systems that allow programmers to write synchronous code. In microthreads for instance. This was the functionality CCP was looking for when it chose Stackless Python.

Of course, if the coroutines are not what Lua Coco calls "True C coroutines" (this is what Stackless offers), then you lose a lot of the benefits that coroutines give. The ability to write straightforward boilerplate-free code on top of them for instance. The "generator coroutines" that were added to Python are an example of one of thse more limited forms of coroutines.

Coroutines can be used as a basis for a system that scales across multiple cores. Anyone who desired to do this would need to develop their own custom system. There is no implementation that I know of available for reuse.

Second Life has a custom system jerry rigged on top of .NET for this very purpose. You can read a high level description of it in this blog post. I think the video of the presentation Linden Labs gave at Lang.NET in 2006 goes into more detail. It can be found on this page by searching for "second life".

On a related note, one of the core features of Stackless Python is that you can serialise (using the Python pickle feature) a microthread, send it across the wire and unserialize it on the other end. Given that the Python pickle format is platform independent, you can use this to take running code on a machine of little endian architecture and restore it on another machine of big endian architecture. This can be used for the same purpose, but the burden (or opportunity) is on the developer in taking this and building on it.

#18 Antheus   Members   -  Reputation: 2397

0Likes

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:58 AM

Quote:
Original post by rmtew
Quote:
Original post by hplus0603"stackless" is a misnomer IMO -- there's still a stack involved. The only thing with "stackless" python is that it allocates its own stacks, fiber style, rather than using the C stack. That, in itself, is not much of a benefit IMO.
Stackless does not allocate stacks, fiber style. When a switch is done from one microthread to another, it copies the area of stack that has been used from the current microthread to a buffer, then copies back onto the stack the corresponding buffer from the next microthread. As I understand fibers, this is much more lightweight than they are.

Not if there is a lot of data to copy. But considering Python VM has relatively high constant factor overhead, it's probably less sensitive to such implementation details.

See Game Programming Gems II, 3.3 for an article on such implementation. It's still stack-based, it merely includes a bit more juggling.

#19 Seoushi   Members   -  Reputation: 138

0Likes

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:06 AM

Perhaps what I said implies that I was going to use stackless/coroutines instead of threading, that's not exactly what I meant. My interest in stackless is more based on what it can do for code readability and being able to process many things at once in the same thread.

My basic idea is still to have a listener thread with shared message in/out stacks between worker threads however coroutines come into play for processing multiple items inside a thread while an operation is blocked.

From what I've looked at erlang seems like the best thing to use however I feel I would be hard pressed to find developers that would want to learn to use it and eventually I will want some help. Stackless python does look good but according to some presentations on Eve Online the thing that made it viable was StacklessIO which was written in C++, I really don't know what all StacklessIO entails and I'm unsure if I wish to go down that route. Mono recently included Mono.Tasklets (it's actually been out since ~2006 but wasn't part of mono) which is pretty much a hack for coroutines as it has to save off the whole stack, while it may run a few orders of magnitude faster than stackless python the memory requirements are almost double which makes it less viable imho. What I'm currently looking into is Boo, it has support for coroutines as well however I'm unsure of how it does it and if it's a hack or not. The main that interests me about boo is that you can add on your own syntax like lisp macros and it's suppose to be as fast as C# (most other dynamic CLI languages seem to take a performance hit).

Anyways I'm still researching what I want to use, for now I can be working on protocol design as that will be useful no matter what language/platform I choose.

#20 rmtew   Members   -  Reputation: 116

0Likes

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:55 AM

Quote:
Original post by SeoushiStackless python does look good but according to some presentations on Eve Online the thing that made it viable was StacklessIO which was written in C++, I really don't know what all StacklessIO entails and I'm unsure if I wish to go down that route.

The problem with using piecemeal information like this, is that it can lead to the wrong interpretation. Note that Stackless IO is a recent development, only put into production in the last year or so. Compared to the past networking extensions EVE has used, it is an just an upgrade to add higher performance. EVE has worked without it, although not as scalable networking performance-wise, for many years.

Other than a performance upgrade, what Stackless IO is, is a networking library that wrapped asynchronous IO in a way that allows the microthreads to use socket objects in a way that just blocks the current microthread, rather than the current thread like the standard Python sockets do. If you want programmers using a microthreading framework to be able to write more readable synchronous code, then this is the kind of thing you need to do anyway. Before there was Stackless IO, there were at least two other C++ libraries that did exactly the same thing.

You can get a Python-based library I have written which provides the same functionality (but without the finely tuned multithreading performance) as Stackless IO. This library, Stackless socket, is available from here. It is example code that does not have full test coverage, but then again it has been deployed in released products. The goal of this module is to allow people to use sockets in microthreads exactly as they do without them. That is, code readability through consistent API. And an advantage of this is that you can monkeypatch in this library in place of the standard socket module and other modules that use the socket module, will suddenly be compatible with your microthreading.

If you really need the satisfaction of living the hype of Stackless IO, the intention is to release it as open source when it is ready I believe.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS