• Create Account

Indie action platformer (GunGirl 2) looking for artist

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

#1 Blue66   Members   -  Reputation: 151

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:53 PM

Team name: There's only me right now ;) Project name: GunGirl 2 Brief description: The game has been in the works for about a year now. It's an intense action platformer targeted at adult fans of zombie movies. You have a lot of weapons, can learn new techniques to get across the levels and you have an overworld map to travel between places. The gameplay is more complex then most platformers, since you can travel between different worlds, talk with npcs, accept and solve quests for them, power up your weapons etc. Target aim: Freeware Compensation: No money involved. Technology: I'm using a game development tool for coding the script of the engine. I can't program and I do all by myself. Talent needed: artist: Right now, the project is pretty complex. I have a lot of stuff to take care of, and the only thing its starting to lack is the art. So I'm looking for a talented person who is able to draw comic-style background and environment for both worlds earth and hell. If you have the time and are willing to do more, we can talk about everything else, too. Team structure: I'm doing everything else (except the music). Website: Not done yet. Contacts: paulinthenet_at_gmx.de Previous Work by Team: I've made some other platformers earlier to get used to the development program I use. You can check them out on www.paulinthenet.de Additional Info: You can watch the latest trailer here: YouTube Trailer April 2009 or you can download the demo of the game here: download (about 33mb) Feedback: ANY [Edited by - Blue66 on May 20, 2009 1:39:08 AM]

Sponsor:

#2 Aiursrage   Members   -  Reputation: 154

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:15 PM

I want to give this thread a bump. The project looks good and the demo is pretty fun to play so hopefully someone will join

#3 nsmadsen   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3901

Posted 22 May 2009 - 03:50 PM

Love the art style! Looks like a good project.
Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios

#4 Flaise   Members   -  Reputation: 181

Posted 22 May 2009 - 05:45 PM

You're looking for an artist... but where did those graphics come from?

#5 Oluseyi   Staff Emeritus   -  Reputation: 1678

Posted 23 May 2009 - 06:30 AM

Quote:
Original post by Dathgale

It's called "programmer art," and he used it to great effect on Gun Girl 1, which I really liked.

I'm considering this.

#6 lack o comments   Members   -  Reputation: 416

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:42 AM

You have no idea how it pains me that I don't have time to consider this project as it is exactly the sort of thing I would like to work on. At least I can give it another bump.

Good work so far! I hope a worthy artist joins :D

#7 QuantumP7   Members   -  Reputation: 141

Posted 23 May 2009 - 04:00 PM

That is AWESOME! I can't wait to see the finished product!

#8 AAA   Members   -  Reputation: 182

Posted 24 May 2009 - 01:59 AM

That game looks very promising. Best of luck.

#9 Flaise   Members   -  Reputation: 181

Posted 24 May 2009 - 04:35 AM

Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Quote:

It's called "programmer art," and he used it to great effect on Gun Girl 1, which I really liked.

Let me reword that-- what is wrong with the game's current graphics? You're not selling your game, and it looks fine as it is.

#10 rip-off   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8119

Posted 24 May 2009 - 04:42 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Quote:

Let me reword that-- what is wrong with the game's current graphics? You're not selling your game, and it looks fine as it is.

It looks fine, but not polished. With the right polish it makes it a lot easier to market your game. It is unfortunate, but people will judge the book by the cover. The better the cover, the higher the chance that people will play the game long enough to appreciate it.

#11 Flaise   Members   -  Reputation: 181

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:33 AM

I know that, but we're talking about a freeware game.

#12 rip-off   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8119

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:39 AM

That doesn't matter, you still want people to play your game, right?

#13 Blue66   Members   -  Reputation: 151

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:09 AM

Thank you all for the compliments! I really appreciate that :)

Unfortunately rip-off is right. The game will come out for free, but still people will not play it if it looks cheap. The graphics are very controversal right now - many people like the comic look of it and the kinda retro style, but others think it looks rushed, cheap and unpolished :(

But that's my problem - I don't want to spend weeks just drawing the graphics for one level. I better spend that time on the gameplay, the storyline and items etc etc.

An extra artist would really help this project reach the polished feel I want it to have in the end.

#14 Oluseyi   Staff Emeritus   -  Reputation: 1678

Posted 24 May 2009 - 04:47 PM

Hey Blue66,

Could you give prospective artists a little more technical information? What are the sizes and number of background tiles, and what sorts of materials do they cover, are they to be combined (multiple tiles overlaid to give texture variance), etc? What are the number of character types - the hero, obviously, but also enemies - and how many frames of animation do they have, are the animations horizontally symmetric (meaning you can just flip left for right) and are there any simple color variants (green zombie... red zombie... brown zombie! [smile]). Also, what's your projected schedule - how soon would you need all the art completed?

I loved Gun Girl, though I never finished it. I only own a Mac right now, though I can sneak some time to play Gun Girl 2 at work. I'm interested in doing this, because it's essentially a finished game that just needs some contributed artwork, but I need to know what the scope of the commitment is.

Cheers!

#15 jhypsyshah   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:42 PM

what kind of art did ya need?

#16 Mkayz   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:01 AM

Hey there:D
I'm an artist looking for a new project, I will work for free and have experiance with backgrounds shadeing and character design.

If you want to check out some of my art just email my at zoidbergrocks@hotmail.com=3

good luck!

mkayz

#17 slayemin   Members   -  Reputation: 2442

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

Mkayz, I think you're three years too late.

Eric Nevala

Indie Developer | Dev blog

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS