Do more folks prefer 2D games than 3E games?

Started by
17 comments, last by Xeon_Boy 22 years, 9 months ago
Do more folks prefer 2D games than 3D games? That''s a question I wanna ask for a long time! Hope lots of folks can help! :-D "The feeling of mastering and understanding hard stuff in Game Programming is just like the feeling u get when u perform an Air-Walk in the basketball court, soaring.....and everyone''s watching in awe......."
"The feeling of mastering and understanding hard stuff in Game Programming is just like the feeling u get when u perform an Air-Walk in the basketball court, soaring.....and everyone's watching in awe......."
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Xeon_Boy

Do more folks prefer 2D games than 3D games? That''s a question I wanna ask for a long time! Hope lots of folks can help! :-D

"The feeling of mastering and understanding hard stuff in Game Programming is just like the feeling u get when u perform an Air-Walk in the basketball court, soaring.....and everyone''s watching in awe......."

I don''t know...actually, doesn''t the trend seem to kind of point the other way, that more people prefer 3D? I mean, look at the games that have come out in the last six months, or year, or probably further back than that--everything''s gone 3d: RPGs, action, strategy, sports...

But, when was the last time you saw a release of a top-down shooter a la Raptor or Tyrian, or a side-scrolling platfomer? (Yes, there was one a year or so ago, but I can''t remember the name.) I, for one, wouldn''t mind seeing some more...The way the games market seems to be getting much 2D attention is in the indie community and handheld consoles, and that''s even starting to change since the GBA can support software 3D.

Oh, and congrats on finally changing your sig. to something reasonable
--

WNDCLASSEX Reality;
Reality.lpfnWndProc=ComputerGames;
RegisterClassEx(&Reality);

Unable to register Reality...what''s wrong?
---------
Dan Upton
Lead Designer
WolfHeart Software
WNDCLASSEX Reality;......Reality.lpfnWndProc=ComputerGames;......RegisterClassEx(&Reality);Unable to register Reality...what's wrong?---------Dan Uptonhttp://0to1.orghttp://www20.brinkster.com/draqza
I do
I believe that certain genere''s of games or even certain series of games should be or should have stayed 2-d. Im sorry but Castlevania doesnt work that well in 3d neither did Mega man. Most real time strategies are usually better in 2d, but thats because there hasnt been a really good RTS in 3d that i have seen yet. RPG''s can go in either direction. Games like FPS are better in 3d in my opinion. (plus its kinda hard to have a 2d FPS)

"There is humor in everything depending on which prespective you look from."
"There is humor in everything depending on which prespective you look from."
quote:Original post by Chronoslade
Most real time strategies are usually better in 2d, but thats because there hasnt been a really good RTS in 3d that i have seen yet.

Dark Reign 2 =)
"All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors." -Anon.
I like 2D more personally. But there are games 3D is better for, like racing and FPS. I don''t care for either of those genres though I do miss the good old side scrollers like Mario, Raptor or games like Prince of Persia. The thing is those games were FUN to play. When I play one of the new 3D games the fun factor is usually not there. Look at Diablo II for instance - I think it''s a very fun game. Would it be better with 3D graphics? Not at all. It would only frustrate players without a good 3D card, and would add nothing to the gameplay.
I prefer 2d games, because my comp can''t run the "fancy" 3d games. However I do like a game of Team Fortress sometimes!
quote:Original post by BenHanson
Dark Reign 2 =)

I didn''t care too much for that, although I liked it''s 3d engine better than Myth''s. Metal Fatigue wasn''t bad...but the best "3D" RTS is Total Annihilation, hands down.
WNDCLASSEX Reality;......Reality.lpfnWndProc=ComputerGames;......RegisterClassEx(&Reality);Unable to register Reality...what's wrong?---------Dan Uptonhttp://0to1.orghttp://www20.brinkster.com/draqza
I''ve seen both kinds of games with wonderful graphics, and both with lousy graphics. If you guarantee that the graphics are going to be done well I would rather have 3-d ones - If they''re going to be lousy I would rather have 2-d ones.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

quote:Original post by Chronoslade
...Im sorry but Castlevania doesnt work that well in 3d...

It seems Capcom has set out to show Konami how they should have done it with Devil May Cry . The previews I''ve seen and read show an exciting and apparently fun to play game, while maintaining an appropriate darkness. I guess we''ll just have to wait and see.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement