• Create Account

Is this a dead forum?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

#1 HIND-D   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 27 December 1999 - 12:26 PM

Is this forum dead? if you read this, plz reaply so that i know that it's not!

Sponsor:

#2 Melo   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 13 December 1999 - 02:26 AM

It's not (for me)...

#3 Michalson   Members   -  Reputation: 1657

Posted 13 December 1999 - 02:26 AM

Not quite, but I think it might be getting there.

#4 Freeride Designs   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 13 December 1999 - 08:54 AM

I don't think its dead yet. I expect I'll be posting some stuff up here soon as I get to the AI part of my new project, maybe asking for advice, maybe giving it.

#5 mason   Members   -  Reputation: 128

Posted 13 December 1999 - 09:07 AM

Ahh, but can an AI forum really be alive in the first place?

Some would argue that this forum is just a collection of zeroes and ones, and was never truly "alive..."

Mason McCuskey
Spin Studios
www.spin-studios.com

#6 Gromit   Members   -  Reputation: 144

Posted 13 December 1999 - 09:48 AM

clever.

#7 benjamin bunny   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 838

Posted 13 December 1999 - 10:27 AM

Its only dead in the sense that nobody has anything productive to say... Including me actually.

#8 Jeranon   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 14 December 1999 - 02:53 AM

dead or not, don't put it in the deadbook. Someday, someone's going to want info on AI and it won't be here. Like me.
Just that AI's one of the last things that people think about...

#9 ghowland   Members   -  Reputation: 134

Posted 14 December 1999 - 03:35 AM

A lot of more technical forums need specific topics of interest to come alive, then they lay dormant until the next topic comes. That seems to be the way this forum is going as most people settle with really simple AI tricks (or havent even gotten there yet).

It will be here when needed though.

Of note, the forum doesnt have a moderator, and often that makes a big difference. Someone who can throw out ideas for discussion and answer any questions quickly is a big help for keeping a forum active.

-Geoff

#10 HIND-D   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 14 December 1999 - 07:40 AM

Ok, so how do you become a moderator?

#11 Dave Astle   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 2305

Posted 14 December 1999 - 10:12 AM

Moderators are appointed by us. I've been trying to find a moderator for this forum. Because I knew that it would likely be less active than the others, I've wanted to find someone who is high profile in the game AI community to help spark discussion. The people I have contacted so far haven't been able to commit, so the search continues. If anyone has any recommendations, or if you feel you fit the profile, let me know.

- Dave

#12 Chlorine   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 December 1999 - 04:25 PM

What about the guy from Game AI? Steve, I think. I bet you've already contacted him though.

Ack! I'm an initiate! I was like the 30th person who registered for the forum. Hehe.. I know, I know.. Its based on number of posts.

-Chlorine

[This message has been edited by Chlorine (edited December 18, 1999).]

#13 Dave Astle   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 2305

Posted 20 December 1999 - 04:38 AM

Heh, yep, Steve was the first person I contacted. He was interested, but didn't think he'd have enough time to do it.

#14 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 27 December 1999 - 12:59 AM

Even if this forum might have its let's say quiter times, I believe its realy useful because AI is an important factor for the quality of a game (rpg, tactical, shooter) and it is not easy to build a good AI because human beings (which I supose all of us are) tend not to think about everything and the ideas and propositions provided by a forum like this can help a lot to make some specific games better w/out too much work for anybody!

The idea of a moderator seems to be good!
Jut go on searching 'till you find one!

#15 TANSTAAFL   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1152

Posted 27 December 1999 - 12:26 PM

it simply astonishes me that posts with serious questions go unanswered, and topics like "is this forum dead" get dozens of responses.

#16 MikeD   Members   -  Reputation: 158

Posted 03 January 2000 - 11:00 PM

The fact is, "Is this a dead forum" is an easy question to answer, it takes no brain time, so people are quite happy to throw in their $0.02.
If someone was to ask "What is intelligence" or "Is the brain a universal computer", then that might, just possibly, not be quite so easy to answer hence a lack of response.
Or was that not obvious.

People just like to talk.
Quite often, people do _not_ like to think.

Yours cynically

Mike

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS