• Create Account

Multiplayer data compression

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chlorine   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 August 1999 - 10:41 AM

As I was pondering the complexities of network latency (and why it always takes so long to download BSP maps in TFC ) the thought occurred to me that some sort of data compression might improve connection speed. Picture this: all the packets you send would be compressed (maybe with pkzip?) and then upon recieving a packet the client would decompress it. Now, i'm guessing that this would create a significant performance hit, but, I don't think it would be an issue on high end systems, like my own. Of course, multiplayer data compression could already be common place and i'm just wasting my time. Just a thought...

-Chlorine

Sponsor:

#2 DavidRM   Members   -  Reputation: 270

Posted 15 August 1999 - 07:19 AM

We use compression for server-to-client packets in Artifact. We use the zlib compression algorithm and see roughly 40%-60% packet compression.

We delayed trying compression because we figured the overhead of compressing/decompressing would be prohibitive. When we finally gave it a try, though, it was a huge success. Bandwidth used dropped significantly, and the game seemed much more "snappy" than before.

The time required to compress/decompress the data is significantly less than the time saved by sending less information.

------------------
DavidRM
Samu Games
http://www.samugames.com

#3 cerberus   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 15 August 1999 - 08:53 AM

Hmmm interesting ideas...got a link for that zlib compression algorithm?

#4 DavidRM   Members   -  Reputation: 270

Posted 16 August 1999 - 10:17 AM

From the zlib readme:

The zlib home page is http://www.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/zlib/
The official zlib ftp site is
ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/zlib/

zlib is used in the Linuz/Unix gzip/gunzip commands. It's fast and compresses reasonably well.

------------------
DavidRM
Samu Games
http://www.samugames.com

#5 dloob   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 August 1999 - 10:41 AM

Just for the record, Qizmo, the QW proxy also uses a GZ compression. The in game dosent change much, xept you can pull your rate up (amout of packets in a minute) becose your bandwith IS freed up. U can share a ISDN line with two players easy. It is a prety cool thing, wonder if they'll one day put hardwarecompression in lan card (they alllready are in modems)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS