• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Motion capture for indie game developers?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

#1 CodaKiller   Members   -  Reputation: 108

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:15 AM

I've been trying to animate a character and it's much harder then I would have ever expected. This is one of the things which is holding me back the most, the only logical solution would be motion capture but all of the systems I've seen are incredibly expensive. What options are available for indie game developers?

Sponsor:

#2 zer0wolf   Members   -  Reputation: 1018

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:21 AM

Using motion capture isn't any simpler. Motion capture data requires extensive clean-up work and, you know, you have to actually apply the data to a rig.

Your best options are to find an animator for your project, search for and learn how to use existing BVH files, or keep learning how to animate yourself.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter

#3 maximAL   Members   -  Reputation: 229

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:23 AM

If by indie you mean a small start up with limited budget, OptiTrack might be worth a look (i didn't actually use it, though).

If by indie you mean you have literally no budget, than i guess you won't find anything.

#4 GameCreator   Members   -  Reputation: 771

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:25 AM

If you have any camera that records video, you can use Rotoscoping.

#5 CodaKiller   Members   -  Reputation: 108

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:38 AM

As for my budget it would need to be something under $500 and can fit in my apartment...

#6 borngamer   Members   -  Reputation: 204

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:13 AM

I know this isn't motion capture, but have you looked into Poser to see if you can do what you need to animate your characters?

You may not be able to directly export the animation into your game (you might, I don't know), but from my use with Poser, walk, running, jumping and stuff like that is really easy. You just create a path, set up some parameters and let Poser do the work.

John

#7 LockePick   Members   -  Reputation: 707

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:16 AM

If you can't animate by hand then you won't be able to do motion capture either. Most of the work in motion capture comes from cleaning up the mess it makes... which means animating by hand. So no, it is not really a logical solution. A logical solution would be to a) hire an animator, b) keep practicing, c) settle for subpar animations, or d) design a game with features you can actually do. That last option sounds mean but is truly the best one.

The rotoscoping suggestion is also decent, assuming you can find people close enough to what you need.

#8 Solias   Members   -  Reputation: 560

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:19 AM

This might be an option: CMU motion capture library.

#9 CodaKiller   Members   -  Reputation: 108

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:21 AM

Quote:
Original post by borngamer
I know this isn't motion capture, but have you looked into Poser to see if you can do what you need to animate your characters?

You may not be able to directly export the animation into your game (you might, I don't know), but from my use with Poser, walk, running, jumping and stuff like that is really easy. You just create a path, set up some parameters and let Poser do the work.

John

Yeah thats the best idea so far but they don't seem to offer a demo unless you give them your credit card number which I will not do...

#10 CodaKiller   Members   -  Reputation: 108

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:27 AM

Quote:
Original post by Solias
This might be an option: CMU motion capture library.

WOW!!!! Thats perfect!!! Thank you!

#11 animator   Members   -  Reputation: 115

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:13 AM

A very simple solution is this:
------------------------------

position your subject next to a full length mirror at 45 degrees.
position your camera far away from the subject with high zoom to minimise perspective.
Now you will have a video of your subject from front and side on giving you all the 3D data you need.
play the video frame by frame underneath your skeleton rig and match the action frame by frame.

Best place to find full length mirrors is in places such as dance studios with the added benefit you can get the dancers to do the movements for you!

#12 AnointedKnight   Members   -  Reputation: 111

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:45 AM

I love using 2D game sprite sheets as my character animation reference.

It works greats with 2 screens and it has helped me make animations way faster than I could have ever expected. 

With this method the time it takes to create a pose isn't that bad.

As for cleaning it up and touching up on it I try to reference how I would move when performing the animation in real life. 

I hope this helps even this is a pretty old thread.

#13 LukKaluski   Members   -  Reputation: 105

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

It's not that hard. In my game I just captured movement from camera, then I wrote simple editor to manually position main points of simple skeleton frame by frame (it took me 2-3 hours) and that was all. Later I just put that data into game and draw body-parts sprites using these data.

Here you can see the results:

Edited by LukKaluski, 21 February 2013 - 06:24 PM.

My project: Halved-Circles Mine - 2D mining-puzzle-platformer with destructible terrain and physics simulation

http://halvedcirclesmine.com | Youtube | Facebook

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS