• Create Account

What is the best way for players to communicate with server

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

#1 j33lee   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 October 1999 - 02:12 AM

Hi,
I'm just starting out, and I was wondering what was the best way for players to communicate with the server. Is it through sockets? The multiplayer game I have in mind is one which the entire game is on the server (so no game data lies on the client side) and it's in real time.
I hope my jabbering makes some sense.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsor:

#2 DavidRM   Members   -  Reputation: 270

Posted 15 October 1999 - 07:19 AM

I would say basing your client-server communication on TCP/IP (sockets) is pretty much a given.

------------------
DavidRM
Samu Games

#3 Niels   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 15 October 1999 - 12:58 PM

Ah, but it's not...

Especially not if the game is all (or mainly) server side, and you are even remotely interrested in clients that sit behind a firewall. Sockets won't bypass a firewall (in general).

In this case you need to move up a layer, and go for HTTP - it is not as fast but for a lot of applications it's a lot easier, at it has benefits (such as the firewall issue)...

I'll launch a new site in the comming weeks, which is a client/server game using HTTP, that should give an impression of what can be done with HTTP. (Java for the UI on the client, ASP for the prototype server - that might change to ISAPI, or MTS components)

/Niels

#4 DavidRM   Members   -  Reputation: 270

Posted 15 October 1999 - 04:10 PM

Firewalls are easily accounted for. SOCKS4 for TCP, SOCKS5 for UDP.

As for HTTP...why punish yourself unnecessarily??? ;-)

------------------
DavidRM
Samu Games

#5 Niels   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 16 October 1999 - 04:21 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't both SOCKS4 and SOCKS5 require special measures with the client-side firewall, such as opening specific ports? Or possibly installation of client-side proxies?

Anyhow, I want people to be able to play my game from work (Yes I know, I'm a bad guy ) and I generally don't think IT departments are too trilled about people installing various proxies on the inside of the firewall ...

/Niels

#6 DavidRM   Members   -  Reputation: 270

Posted 16 October 1999 - 06:15 AM

I've never implemented SOCKS5, but I use SOCKS4 in my game, Artifact. So long as the firewall they have supports the SOCKS4 protocol, they just have to supply the proxy server address and port # and away we go... =)

I also achieve a certain amount of "at work" players by having Artifact run in a "normal" window. It's resizeable, so they can make it fit behind their spreadsheet app with only a gold "A" icon showing in the taskbar... ;-)

------------------
DavidRM
Samu Games

#7 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 16 October 1999 - 09:16 AM

Are there any good net refrences to these protocols? SOCKS4 and SOCKS5 that is?

-ddn

#8 DavidRM   Members   -  Reputation: 270

Posted 16 October 1999 - 07:36 PM

It's not exactly a specification...but here's how you use SOCKS4.

First, you point the socket to the proxy server IP and port # and initiate the connection.

Second, when the connection is established, you send the following information:

4 (8-bit value: 0x04)
1 (8-bit value: 0x01)
Port # (16-bit value)
IP address (32-bit form)
NULL (8-bit value: 0x00)

That's it.

The 4 specifies SOCKS4. I forget what the 1 does. The port and IP are obvious.

It's been a while since I researched and implemented this, so I feel a bit rusty. Hope this is helpfule.

------------------
DavidRM
Samu Games

#9 Niels   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 October 1999 - 07:01 AM

Hm! Never heard of companies opening for socks4 or 5 - do you have any numbers, or at least an idea as to how widespread this is?

I could imagine that it would be common if some large corperate systems already used it - you could kind of piggy bag your way through the firewall . But as far as I know, most companies are open for HTTP ONLY - and that sort of settles it for me.

There's no doubt that I'd prefer UDP for the performance gain, but it's no good if you miss your target audience ...

/Niels

#10 DavidRM   Members   -  Reputation: 270

Posted 17 October 1999 - 08:23 AM

At the last place I worked, which was about a 1000-employee technology company, the firewall proxy was "invisible." If you were on the inside, getting out required no extra effort. However, getting *in* was pretty tightly locked down.

I don't know how typical that is, though.

I added the proxy support primarily so that players with home networks and modem sharing could play. But I do have a number of worker-players... =)

------------------
DavidRM
Samu Games

#11 j33lee   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 October 1999 - 04:45 AM

Wow! Lots of responses! That's great! Thanks to everyone. I'm going to extend my question a bit farther. Does anyone know where I can get information on, or knows how to do socket programming in C++?

#12 Sphet   Members   -  Reputation: 631

Posted 18 October 1999 - 07:04 AM

The day I work for a company that allows the use of Sock4/5 is the day I buy you all a bottle of booze.

IT companies HATE socks4 and socks5 simply because it DOES allow tunneling of TCP/IP data.

HTTP is the only real way to get through firewalls, and you have to do all kinds of tricks to make it work -- but once it does its really worth it.

#13 Zer   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 October 1999 - 11:45 AM

Socks4 is great, I've got a couple players on my game who play through various government organizations' T1s/T3s at work, and normal places at work, but I think it's funny, tax dollars working for YOU and all that other stuff.

If you really wanted to be evil, you could have a server side approach to bypassing firewalls. Make the client establish a keep-alive connection with the server and have it poll it for packets every half seconds with a GET command...and have it use GET with your actual packet afterwards for sending packets. I dunno it might work it sounds sneaky and underhanded

#14 Splat   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 October 1999 - 12:20 PM

Zer: Amazing! That's exactly the same idea I had just a couple of weeks ago. I was thinking of making a program that listens on a local port on the machine, then, when you want to use an application, tell it to connect to that local port. Then the program will ask for for the real destination and port.

Then, it connects to a predefined server on the Internet using HTTP, tunneling its packets through the proxy, to the server, which then masquerades them to the REAL destination. Bingo! You have complete access to every server and every port using nothing but a restrictive HTTP proxy!

Anyone here interested in doing it with me?

------------------

- Splat

#15 Niels   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 October 1999 - 09:41 PM

Actually, I already did that in my previous job - it works flawlessly, and the funny thing was, that it outperformed the original strict TCP version, despite the fact that the HTTP tunneling was an additional layer (I.e. no changes was made to the original code, neither server nor client). I figure the speed increase was caused by HTTP using UDP and not TCP, but I really don't know...

/Niels

#16 Splat   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 October 1999 - 12:11 PM

Niels: You think you could send the client and server my way?

- Splat

#17 Niels   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 October 1999 - 02:12 AM

Hm! It's not that I don't want to, but I'd probably be violating a few hundred copyright laws - Like I said, the code belongs to a company I used to work for, sorry.

It's not a big deal though - The client was a Java class inherited from the Socket class to make it look like a socket. Internally, it wrapped binary socket data in HTTP, called the HTTP server extension (an ISAPI module). The ISAPI extension unwrapped the data, and forwarded it (using sockets) to the original socket server). There's a bit of book keeping and error handling, but other than that, it's a no-brainer ...

/Niels

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS