• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

Quake 3 Arena source code

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
22 replies to this topic

#1 nebrad   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:13 AM

Where can I find quake 3 arena source code for windows, that isn't a point release? And can I compile it with Dev-C++?

Sponsor:

#2 demonkoryu   Members   -  Reputation: 976

0Likes

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:31 AM

Everything's at ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/
What do you mean by "not point release"? Do you want a 1.0 or prerelease version?!

As far as Dev-C++ is concerned, no idea. Dev-C++ is old and generally Code::Blocks or Visual Studio Express (it's free) is recommended instead. For compiling older sources, it should still be possible to get hold of Visual C++ Toolkit 2003.

#3 DevFred   Members   -  Reputation: 836

0Likes

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:26 AM

Don't expect to learn good programming practices from the Quake 3 source. As far as I can tell, it's a bloody mess.

#4 demonkoryu   Members   -  Reputation: 976

0Likes

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:39 AM

Quote:
Original post by DevFred
Don't expect to learn good programming practices from the Quake 3 source. As far as I can tell, it's a bloody mess.

I found the source code awesome because it was so lean. I also learned a lot about pragmatic programming from it.

#5 nebrad   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:49 AM

Can I use "CodeGear RAD Studio C++ Builder 2007" instead of Dev-C++ to compile Quake 3 arena source code?

What I mean for "not point release", is that there is an 1.32b release for linux but not for windows.

#6 demonkoryu   Members   -  Reputation: 976

0Likes

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:30 AM

I guess that's a patch for the game or SDK, not the source code (which is at version 1.32c).

Quote:
Can I use "CodeGear RAD Studio C++ Builder 2007" instead of Dev-C++ to compile Quake 3 arena source code?

It should be most compatible with gcc or Visual C++, but I found this which indicates it also compiles using Borland compilers. I have no idea, though, if C++ Builder is still technically Borland C++.

#7 nebrad   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:56 AM

Ok, I have found visual c++ 6 on one of my cd's, can someone tell me how to compile q3a source code with this version, I have difficulties with this?

#8 scgames   Members   -  Reputation: 2002

0Likes

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:24 AM

Quote:
Ok, I have found visual c++ 6 on one of my cd's, can someone tell me how to compile q3a source code with this version, I have difficulties with this?
Don't use Visual Studio 6 (it's over ten years old). Instead, download the current version of Visual C++ Express (which is free).

As for the difficulties you're having compiling the source, you'll probably need to provide some more details.

#9 nebrad   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:29 AM

Here is the thing I want to compile quake 3 arena source code but I can't download and install newest version of the visual c++, becouse of my slow-as-hell internet connection, and I have visual c++ 6.0 version. I know that the program has changed more or less but it is still one the same program. So how can I do this?

#10 Josh Petrie   Moderators   -  Reputation: 5056

0Likes

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:35 AM

Quote:

Here is the thing I want to compile quake 3 arena source code but I can't download and install newest version of the visual c++, becouse of my slow-as-hell internet connection, and I have visual c++ 6.0 version. I know that the program has changed more or less but it is still one the same program. So how can I do this?

Actually, it's a fundamentally different program -- Visual C++ 6.0 existed before C++ was standardized, so the "C++" it understands and compiles is very different from the C++ that began to exist after the standard was introduced -- including, likely, whatever C++ that exists in the Q3A code. You are probably going to have a difficult time of it. Most of it's C, but you're still likely to have issues.

But still, we can't help you unless you tell us what specifically you are having trouble doing. Getting specific compiler errors? Don't even know where to start? What parts of the documentation have you read? What have you tried?

#11 V-man   Members   -  Reputation: 805

0Likes

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:49 AM

Check to see if there is a file with .dsw extension. This would be a VC++6 project file.
If three isn't, there is probably a makefile.
I wonder what ID used to compile Quake 3 back in 1999.

#12 nebrad   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:03 AM

The thing is I have finally get an microsoft visual c++ program, and I don't know where to start, there aren't any dsp or dsw files, but there is an sln, and vcproj files that are designed for VC7 / viusal c++ 2003 expresds edition. So what now?

#13 bombpersons   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:15 AM

If there's a makefile, just install the mingw compiler and use the makefile.

#14 nebrad   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:26 AM

there is few of them, but can I use mingw compiler with visual c++ 6.0

#15 kRogue   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:27 AM

Just a heads up: Quake 3 Arena was/is straight C, no C++. An existing project, ioquake3 at [link] http://ioquake3.org/ [/link] also exists.

#16 nebrad   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:36 AM

is it good or bad if that is C and not C++, becouse I still can't compile this code?

#17 mutex   Members   -  Reputation: 1110

0Likes

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:00 PM

Quote:
Original post by nebrad
is it good or bad if that is C and not C++, becouse I still can't compile this code?
None of us are psychics. Tell us the specific errors you are getting and we can help you (e.g. "a.cs(170,30): error CS1026: ) expected"), otherwise you'll have an easier time praying to the programming gods.

#18 demonkoryu   Members   -  Reputation: 976

0Likes

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:24 PM

You should download Visual Studio 2003 Toolkit (that's the free Visual Studio 2003 compiler). I think you can compile the project using the MSBuild software.

#19 nebrad   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:18 AM

finally, I have found prjconverter.exe program that converts VC 7 to VC6 project files, and I can compile much of the code, but I can't compile quake 3 project, all other projects can be compiled.

I get 4 errors:

unresolved external symbol _glConfig

unresolved external symbol _GetRefAPI

unresolved external symbol _GetBotLibAPI

fatal error LNK1120: 3 unresolved externals

How can I fix this?

#20 nebrad   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:11 AM

solved

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS