Quake 3 Arena source code

Started by
21 comments, last by daviangel 14 years, 8 months ago
Where can I find quake 3 arena source code for windows, that isn't a point release? And can I compile it with Dev-C++?
Advertisement
Everything's at ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/
What do you mean by "not point release"? Do you want a 1.0 or prerelease version?!

As far as Dev-C++ is concerned, no idea. Dev-C++ is old and generally Code::Blocks or Visual Studio Express (it's free) is recommended instead. For compiling older sources, it should still be possible to get hold of Visual C++ Toolkit 2003.
Don't expect to learn good programming practices from the Quake 3 source. As far as I can tell, it's a bloody mess.
Quote:Original post by DevFred
Don't expect to learn good programming practices from the Quake 3 source. As far as I can tell, it's a bloody mess.

I found the source code awesome because it was so lean. I also learned a lot about pragmatic programming from it.
Can I use "CodeGear RAD Studio C++ Builder 2007" instead of Dev-C++ to compile Quake 3 arena source code?

What I mean for "not point release", is that there is an 1.32b release for linux but not for windows.
I guess that's a patch for the game or SDK, not the source code (which is at version 1.32c).

Quote:Can I use "CodeGear RAD Studio C++ Builder 2007" instead of Dev-C++ to compile Quake 3 arena source code?

It should be most compatible with gcc or Visual C++, but I found this which indicates it also compiles using Borland compilers. I have no idea, though, if C++ Builder is still technically Borland C++.
Ok, I have found visual c++ 6 on one of my cd's, can someone tell me how to compile q3a source code with this version, I have difficulties with this?
Quote:Ok, I have found visual c++ 6 on one of my cd's, can someone tell me how to compile q3a source code with this version, I have difficulties with this?
Don't use Visual Studio 6 (it's over ten years old). Instead, download the current version of Visual C++ Express (which is free).

As for the difficulties you're having compiling the source, you'll probably need to provide some more details.
Here is the thing I want to compile quake 3 arena source code but I can't download and install newest version of the visual c++, becouse of my slow-as-hell internet connection, and I have visual c++ 6.0 version. I know that the program has changed more or less but it is still one the same program. So how can I do this?
Quote:
Here is the thing I want to compile quake 3 arena source code but I can't download and install newest version of the visual c++, becouse of my slow-as-hell internet connection, and I have visual c++ 6.0 version. I know that the program has changed more or less but it is still one the same program. So how can I do this?

Actually, it's a fundamentally different program -- Visual C++ 6.0 existed before C++ was standardized, so the "C++" it understands and compiles is very different from the C++ that began to exist after the standard was introduced -- including, likely, whatever C++ that exists in the Q3A code. You are probably going to have a difficult time of it. Most of it's C, but you're still likely to have issues.

But still, we can't help you unless you tell us what specifically you are having trouble doing. Getting specific compiler errors? Don't even know where to start? What parts of the documentation have you read? What have you tried?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement