• Create Account

Best 'Beginner' programming books

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

#1 the_programmer_guy   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 13 July 2001 - 01:19 PM

I want to see what you think is the best "Beginner" books for the following catogories: C C++ Java Assembly Game Programming (in C/C++/Java) OpenGL Direct X Windows Programming 3D programming And any others you see appropriate.... Thanks --DAVID-- MASTER THE OTHERSIDE OF GAMING --DEVELOPMENT--

Sponsor:

#2 cliffski   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 14 July 2001 - 04:29 AM

Tricks of the windows game programming gurus is a must have book
I learned C from a book called C in plain english.

http://www.positech.co.uk

#3 Shotokan   Members   -  Reputation: 102

Posted 14 July 2001 - 10:32 PM

I learned C from C: How to Program by Deitel & Deitel
I learned C++ from C++: How to Program by Deitel & Deitel
Both books are in their 3rd edition now.
I''m still reading Code Complete and Trick of the Windows Game Programming Gurus.

I don''t know if Deitel & Deitel make the "best" books, but they are good at teaching the language(s), and they have alot of books out there. Not on game programming though...

And, Cliffski, have you read C++ in plain english? I do believe I saw that in Borders last week. I think I''m going to pick that up just to see how it teaches C++.

#4 LittleTaz   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 14 July 2001 - 10:47 PM

i learned c and c++ in school as well from books.
it doesn''t make sense, if I am going to tell what my c/c++ books are called, unless you are german.
currently i am going through this opengl book:
OpenGL Game Programming

this book is fantastic !
great ! if you are going to learn opengl programming, this is your book. ok it doesn''t cover EVERYTHING of opengl, but you get enough knowledge to learn advanced things for yourself, from other resources.

ehm, yes:
this book also covers DiretInput and DirectSound with dx8

i learned java in school, but i got a book too:
"GoTo Java 2". it is a nice book indeed. covers almost everything of java.

Homepage

#5 Anonymous Programmer   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 16 July 2001 - 01:34 PM

Currently I''m learning C++ from the book "Sams Teach yourself C++ in 21 Days." I''m on day 6 (I got it yesterday ^_^), and I really recommend it.

><[[[''> ~ Insert signature here ~ <'']]]><

#6 the_programmer_guy   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 July 2001 - 09:26 AM

Yeah, i know java and are now wanting to head onto C,C++.... i will probably get a few books, mainly the sams ones and the Deitel & Deitel ones...... oh well, late nights learning, but it will be worth it!!!

#7 Zenroth   Members   -  Reputation: 127

Posted 18 July 2001 - 03:34 AM

Personally I dont like buying C++ books, so if I need to know something or learn c++ again(forget what you dont use ) I
will goto places like http://www.informit.com/ and read the online c/c++ stuff for free.

As far as Directx goes I learned alot from the sdk help files, and another great book is Inside Directx 5.0 by microsoft press, it covered all areas of directx except direct3d and covered them well IMHO. Of course with 8 being out it is a bit old and also its more of a refrence book than a tutorial type book , but still a great book.

I havent really looked into openGL much so I dont have any commits on that other than ill probally learn it from the help files and info on the net.

Windows programming I learned from msdn and the directx sdk.

Basiclly what I recommend is if you dont have alot of money to spend , check out the online options such as informit, and sdk help files/tutorials on the web between that you should be able to learn anything you need to learn.

#8 Janus_Kain   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 24 July 2001 - 10:04 AM

Im currently learning C which will be my first Language from a sama book titled C Programming in 12 Easy Lessons. It came prepackaged with Turbo C++ lite but Ive been using Dev C++ instead. I wanted a full version compiler with a better IDE and more library functions preloaded. After C Im probably going to start C++ and Java. I havent looked into the books on that yet. Ive seen C++ for dummies in Waldens, and Im considering that one.

#9 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 26 July 2001 - 07:15 AM

Sam''s "Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days" is an excellent book for learning C++. I recomend it.

#10 Blood_Dragon   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 30 July 2001 - 04:36 PM

Hmmmm, I am a newbie myself, and I really like C++: How to Program by Deitel and Deitel, its the only book I have seen that shows it in plain english and it came with a CD I have yet to find, but I am using 2nd edition and will go soon to pick up 3rd.

Happy Programming
Me.

#11 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 30 July 2001 - 05:07 PM

The C++ programming language by Stroustrup, it is a great book and everyone should have a copy. I wouldn''t recommended it as a first book for most people but I already knew java and I''m a very fast learner. As for java was mainly self taught, though I glanced through a bad book which gave me the basics, then I just struggled for weeks before I was able to make useful programs. I''ve never encountered a good beginning programming book, I think I''m going to write one if I ever have the time.

#12 Sinner_Zero   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 31 July 2001 - 12:43 PM

When your done with SAMS (i read all but the last 4/5 days) I recommend a book called "Problem Solving with C++ the object of programming" by Walter Savitch, it''s from 96'' and is designed for classrooms so this is great as a second book, heck I''m reading the whole thing and it''s my 4th C++ book. But it''s probably not easy to find either. I got mine from the library =)

And informit.com is a great resource for lots of computer topics, it also has Sams in 21 book and some nice VB books for anyone who didnt bother learning it (like me =/ ).

Oh, and if you live by chicago I recommend coming to the giant computer sale they have every year (if not find one by your house) cuz I snagged Visual Studio 97'' for $120. NO manuals though and that was 2 or 3 years ago when I knew nothing of programming =(

That and what the point of learning C??? other than structs which most decent C++ books should cover and that other way of pronting to the screen which I forgot =(

Anyone can tell me please? you know, the non cout way.

#13 the_programmer_guy   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 31 July 2001 - 08:41 PM

good ol''
printf
eg.
printf("asdfasdfasdfasdf");

instead of the cout thingy ma bob

#14 conundrum07   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 01 August 2001 - 04:17 AM

Try Practical C++. Its an excellent book for learning c++. Very easy to read.

#15 Sinner_Zero   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 01 August 2001 - 07:29 AM

so like

printf("this be the %i time you screwed up", iFifth);

then does /n start a new line?

oh, and why hte heck does hungarian notation use n for int instead of i, uhhh....now I''m mad!

#16 Sinner_Zero   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 01 August 2001 - 07:30 AM

err...change iFifth to iScrews =)

#17 xEricx   Members   -  Reputation: 564

Posted 01 August 2001 - 07:39 AM

\n = newline
\t = tab
\a = alarm...

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS