• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

dithering

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 vanne   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 July 2001 - 03:48 AM

sorry for spamming the forum, but ah I have trouble with something that looks like dithering when I blend together alot of polys on top of eachother, say smoke in a particle system. just textured quads. I set these states: glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA,GL_ONE); glShadeModel(GL_SMOOTH); glHint(GL_POINT_SMOOTH_HINT,GL_NICEST); and even though I have 32bit enabled in windows it sure doesn''t look like it. (I have a GeForce1.) any clues?

Sponsor:

#2 Obelix   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 July 2001 - 05:03 AM

Check the internal format and the range of the alpha values.
Another thing to try is from the MSDN documentation:
"To optimize polygon antialiasing, use glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA_SATURATE, GL_ONE)"

#3 mittens   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1315

Posted 17 July 2001 - 10:05 AM

Dithering is an incredibly annoying problem (unless of course, you want it to happen). I
haven''t really figured out a great way to stop the ugly stuff from happening in some of my demos
yet... but I''m working on it. I''ve found it extremely common in my particle demos, and I found
it INCREDIBLY often in Deus Ex.... annoying stuff.

------------------------------
Trent (ShiningKnight)
E-mail me
OpenGL Game Programming Tutorials

#4 zedzeek   Members   -  Reputation: 528

Posted 17 July 2001 - 11:44 AM

i dont think its dithering thats the cause but lack of colour depth precision, not much u can do about it apart from use 32 bit colour + high quality internal format textures.some sgi machines can handle 48bit colour. carmack in a quite recent plan wrote about the need for greater colour depths for the same reason. an interesting read.

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS