• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

overdraw stats?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Julio   Members   -  Reputation: 116

Posted 17 July 2001 - 06:36 AM

I know that when you render objects in the foreground before objects in the background it''s slower than depth sorting them and then rendering. does anybody know of any statistics for this as far as OpenGL (or I guess Direc3D aswell for that matter)? how much does it actually slow down? thanks, Joe HHSDrum@yahoo.com Polarisoft Home Page

Sponsor:

#2 zedzeek   Members   -  Reputation: 528

Posted 17 July 2001 - 11:37 AM

i think u got that around the wrong way.
of course this varies per card (old voodoos make no difference) + per scene but for solid polygons u should always try to draw the ones closest to the camera first, this''ll result in a 0-20% speedup.

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux

#3 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 18 July 2001 - 07:29 AM

zedzeek is correct. I thought I''d just give the reason for those interested. Assuming you are using a z-buffer to resolve overdraw issues it''s faster to render the closest polygons first, and then draw polygons further away. Because then, chances are that a far away polygon will be obscured and pixels can be discarded if they fail the z-test. If a pixel passes the z-test it also has to be written to the screenbuffer etc... (perhaps lit and stuff too, depending on when lighting occurs).

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS