• Create Account

Cheap hobiest console dev kit.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
132 replies to this topic

#1 Drakonite   Members   -  Reputation: 215

Posted 17 July 2001 - 08:02 PM

How many people out there would be interested in a cheap dev kit for a console? Specifically an older one, such as the SNES. Yeah, I know, old, very old. However, wouldn't it make sense that if a large interest suddenly arose for dev kits for the SNES for hobiest programmers to play around with, and impress friends, that the big N might be willing to sell some out-dated dev kits at low prices? Probably not, but isn't it worth a shot? I say we orginize a mass-emailing (not spam, just a ton of DIFFERENT people) to Nintendo asking them to sell cheap dev kits for the SNES to hobbiest programmers, either that or start a petition of the same to send, full of thousands of signatures. If anybody is interested in participating, post your support here!

HEY read this:

Somethings have changed since the beggining of this thread, so before you post or email me, please read all the messages, (or atleast my posts on page 4) thank you
Drakonite [Insert Witty Signature Here] Edited by - Drakonite on July 23, 2001 3:09:52 AM

Sponsor:

#2 Daishim   Members   -  Reputation: 244

Posted 18 July 2001 - 07:57 AM

Sounds good to me, I''d like to try my hand at console programming as a hobiest before commiting to it, even if it was for the SNES.

#3 Drakonite   Members   -  Reputation: 215

Posted 18 July 2001 - 04:18 PM

I''m surprised their aren''t more people interested! Come on people, if you want to be able to dev for consoles, without having to pay and arm and a leg, lets start by getting the big N to let us do the older system, and then start showing them that us little dev''rs can do some good stuff, and maybe they''ll decide that they want us on their side.

COME ON! Show your support! If we can get enough of us rounded up, we can do it!

Drakonite

[Insert Witty Signature Here]

#4 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 19 July 2001 - 10:05 AM

hey i forgot my member name and password so i guess im anony..but ill do it... give me an email addres and ill email... and ill tell me friends... maybe we can even get them free if we get enough people to email

#5 Drakonite   Members   -  Reputation: 215

Posted 19 July 2001 - 10:33 AM

That''s the spirit! Let''s get this thing going! But a 3 people brigade isn''t going to do it! Come on people! We need to hear support before we can go ahead with the plan! I haven''t seen a post with 500+ replies for quite some time, let''s break that record!

Drakonite

#6 IAmNewbie   Members   -  Reputation: 130

Posted 19 July 2001 - 12:04 PM

hey its me the anon... haha i remembered my username!!!! aright time to get this devkit thing on.. how do we do it? we need to get this topic heard so people read it... and we need an email address to nintendo! haha if there is enough people on our side we could win!... i say we get important people (maybe some of the admins here that have written books?) to help that way we will have some sorta voice.

#7 Sickilla   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 19 July 2001 - 12:12 PM

i''m in

X4J

#8 mr_jrt   Members   -  Reputation: 133

Posted 21 July 2001 - 04:29 AM

Sounds interesting, I''m all for it!

Waassaap!!

#9 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 21 July 2001 - 04:36 AM

I would do it, and pinch in for a playstation one. It''s pretty old now, and the games are about to end now. Why not send a "mass e-mail" to sony???

#10 23yrold3yrold   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 914

Posted 21 July 2001 - 05:17 AM

Sony might, since they already had that Net Yaroze thingy. That SNES idea ain''t bad, seeing as they no longer seem to be working on that handheld SNES system anymore (dammit!). I''m not sure how eager they''d be to start making dev kits for 15 hobbyists though, unless you mean older dev kits that are just kicking around anyway. And many companies put more weight on snail mail than e-mail, so you may want to send both.

Chris Barry

#11 masterg   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 21 July 2001 - 05:25 AM

hey uh game boy advance? practically same thing, with free compilers/emulators over the internet. eh?

#12 jonnyfish   Members   -  Reputation: 265

Posted 21 July 2001 - 05:35 AM

If you use Linux, you can develop for Dreamcast for not much more than the cost of the system itself. There was an article about it on this website a while ago.

#13 TheGreatDestroyer   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 July 2001 - 05:40 AM

im in too just give me the emial adress

#14 Acer722   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 July 2001 - 07:46 AM

I''m in. Give me an E-mail address. Oh and by the way, have someone post news on the front of GameDev, saying "Help out to Buy Cheap SNES Dev kits..., or something of the like. Everyone will see it there and want to help. An idea to speed things up.

#15 Drakonite   Members   -  Reputation: 215

Posted 21 July 2001 - 11:32 AM

Wonderfull! Support seems to be arriving!

Posting news is a good idea about, anybody wanna make a good news post?

Yes, gba is good, and nearly the same, however I beleive we will be much more likely to be successfull at a system that is past it''s life span, and not at the begining.
However, gba would be a good dev kit to get, as a good amature game could theoretically reach production...

The plan is to have a near identical letter sent from a large group of people, hopfully we can make this letter so it seems we would be interested in things such as gba also.

And yes, we dont'' want to rule out sony. The psx was a more powerfull system than SNES, and it''s games will continue to have a market (ps2...). I''ve heard that it was horrible to program for, but an official dev kit and documentation should ease that a lot.

Parhaps we should send letters to both companies, and express are desire to create amature games on these systems. It may also help our cause some if they both knew we were asking both companies.

Snail-mail vs. e-mail..... Yes, snail mail probably would be more effective. I am sure we can obtain the email from somewhere, and the snail mail too... (BTW, if anybody happens to have the best place to send this, please let me know.) It may be to our advantage to all send email, with a note at the bottom saying "For your convinience, we have also sent a hard copy of this letter to your office."

The fight of numbers... Well, if 15 people mail in and ask, they would probably not be very willing to produce more. However if they had 15 old kits lying around we could most likely work something out. If we get many more people, they may be willing to produce some dev kits, or maybe be convinced to provide GBA kits...

I offer this additional idea... If we inquire about the GBA parhaps we can work out an agreement to create cheap dev kits, in return and quality games we create and would like to sell will be sold through them, thus allowing us to receive cheap kits while they will still get large amounts of royalties on any games produced.

Due to the nature of things, a GBA dev kit will probably be thousands of dollars no matter what we do, so they might not be as good of a target.

Sony however, may be a great target for this low-cost dev kit plan in which any game that wishes to go comercial, they would be guarenteed to be the productucers of and would get a sizeable portion of the profit (with of course, a guarenteed percentage they would have to offer the dev''rs)if the chose to produce the game.

Well, these are my ideas, everybody respond and let me know what you think!

Drakonite

#16 69with7of9   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 July 2001 - 12:31 PM

Sounds good. Give me an email adress and im in.

Edited by - 69with7of9 on July 21, 2001 7:33:00 PM

#17 PsycoBlade   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 July 2001 - 12:42 PM

I''ll go for a SNES SDK. That sounds like tons of fun!

-Rich

#18 Drakonite   Members   -  Reputation: 215

Posted 21 July 2001 - 12:51 PM

In order to make this more structured, along with any posts you make here to bump this up the list please email me once at drakonite@yahoo.com so I can collect who all is participating, and include the following information:

Name
Email address
Amount you would be willing to pay for a SNES dev kit
What type of programming you have currently done
Anything special that would make you stand out (i.e. Maybe you manage a site called gamedev, or you have released a pc game that sold lots of copies)

and any other information you feel important. I will use this information to help design the letter to be sent, and to figure out how many particapants there will be. Thank you all for your support.

Any GDNet staff interested?

Drakonite

Edited by - Drakonite on July 21, 2001 7:58:59 PM

#19 k_insurgent   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 July 2001 - 12:53 PM

I''m definitely interested...

#20 PaladinGLT   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 July 2001 - 01:08 PM

Cool,
Count me in.

PaladinGLT

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS