• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Cheap hobiest console dev kit.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
132 replies to this topic

#21 BiGCyC   Members   -  Reputation: 139

Posted 21 July 2001 - 01:38 PM

Hi Guys,

I hate to be the one to do this but I''d rather let you know.

I work as a programmer for a games company and I really doubt Sony will let you have cut price dev kits.

The way the proper dev kits work is like this...

Sony have built both CD and Hard drive emulators which you put into your PC, the CD emulator is an ISA slot card which has specific DOS tools etc. The problem is they still are charging developers an arm and a leg for this stuff even though the Psone is 5-6 years old now, to give you an idea, this emulator on the official developers site is near 1500 pounds.

I would definetly try with the SNES stuff, but I think the GBA is too close to the SNES and the Big N might be a little scared of allowing hobbyist to get their hands on ''em

I know its always worth a try..so good luck guys

Sponsor:

#22 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 21 July 2001 - 01:46 PM

Well there is certianly no harm in trying. However most console makers typical don''t want "Independant" developers making games for their systems. Nintendo specificaly. Nintendo requirements to become a licenced developer include having financial backing, and having at least 2 previously published game titles among other things. So I think your chances on getting a SNES dev system are slim to none.

Sony on the other hand will point you to the net yarozee(which they no longer make). Which you can purchase on ebay, there is always one for sale. It''s a little home makers development box. You can''t play games created on this system on a regular playstation, but it serves its purposes.

On another side note keep in mind that your email could be sent around the company internaly for every employee to laugh at if they find it funny.

#23 Rocket05   Members   -  Reputation: 152

Posted 21 July 2001 - 02:59 PM

i would like to get a dev kit for psx, but probably not for SNES. I really wanna stick to a 32 bit platform. i think a an idea that would really interest nintendo/sony is that if they offer these cheap dev kits, or more support for home brewed dev kits, then they would have more potential developers for the next-gen systems if they like their old ones. Im sure that would really warm them up the the idea, since its a chance for them to get more business. Ill bet they''ll release an educational license for the dev kits as long as nothing commercial as done, and this would help both us freelancers and nintendo/sony

#24 Bazaillion   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 July 2001 - 03:04 PM

Seriously I doubt Nintendo would do it. All these companies keep there development systems at a high cost to insure a monoply on the distribution of the games, This insures they get a royalty off of every game.

What you need is a game copier/backup unit. They were popular back 6-7 years ago. They had them for every type of cartridge based unit. GameBoy, SNES, GENESIS, N64, etc...

They were sold by obsure companies from various countries in Asia, Basically all the countries that allows piracy. I believe most were made by a company called BUNG SOFTWARE(were raided right after my friend got his last unit) it had a .jp address I think. One of my friends had a gameboy copier that would hold 4 games and you could go out on the web and download like every gameboy game ever made, or go to the IRC and get roms for every system ever made.

You may still be able to find these outside of the U.S. or on EBAY or something like that. www.anthrox.com used to sell them, but dont anymore (Nintendo put pressure on them I''m sure as well as every other person in US that posted ROMS or Copiers on web sites). They do still have some info on demos they did with these if you do a search around on the web though.

The names of the devices were SUPER WILDCARD DX (snes), Super Magicom (SNES/
Super Famicom backup), Super MagicDrive (Sega Genesis backup), Hunter (Genesis and SNES backup), The Doctor V64 (N64), etc...

Most allowed dumps to system HD and allowed games to be loaded on a ram cartridge from a floppy.

There are plenty of programming docs out there for the NES, SNES, and GENESIS though. If you go to any of the EMU/EMULATION sites that have emulators for the console systems, you can find a lot of resources.

You may even be able to find plans for a SNES copier. It''s just a rom dump.

Here are some useful links though:

SUPER WILDCARD DX, and Game Copiers
------------------------------------------------------------
http://users.skynet.be/eclectic/swcdx.htm
http://www.emucamp.com/red/SNES/swc28cc.html
http://24.27.156.74/flacks/consoles/snes/
http://www.geocities.com/Baja/3222/backup.htm

SNES PROGRAMMING
http://www.northcoast.com/~mbruce/prog.htm
http://programmersheaven.com/zone8/cat47/13184.htm
http://www.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de/~bexxx/snes/snes.html
http://www.totse.com/en/hack/methods_for_cracking_software/copiera.html

SOME GENESIS STUFF
http://www.emulationzone.org/projects/cyan/

PLANS FOR A GENESIS GAME COPIER
http://www.emulationzone.org/projects/cyan/emulate/docs/copier.zip

#25 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 21 July 2001 - 03:27 PM

HELLO!!!! ARE YOU THAT STUPID???? DON''T JUST IGNORE THIS MESSAGE, WAKE UP AND SMELL THE VODKA!

Nintendo will not give up any kits, no matter what. Your better off bugging SEGA, but you''ll still have no luck. You might as well be asking for prototype NES, SNES systems or Games. It doesn''t matter how freedom fighter''ish you get. If you had a device that made you as a company millions of dollars, would you jump at the opportunity to give it away???? NO!

Offical kits are for suckers, anyways... lik-sang sells 32MBit SuperUFO''s for $119us, and thats enough for SNES dev. For PSX, you just need a GameHunter for your PSX & a CommLink card for your PC (under $20 for both), and a special bios for the GameHunter. As that other dude posted, there''s pleanty of docs out there for the system, just use those and set yourself up with an appropriate means of testing.

#26 Zole   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 July 2001 - 04:34 PM

Yeah, this thread''s heart is in the right place, but Nintendo is not going to be receptive. It has already been mentioned that Nintendo does not want any inexperienced developers working on their systems; if you''re interested in developing for a system you''re better off using the homebrew tools and the linker cartridges mentioned above.

Incidentally, someone mentioned the PSX as being hard to develop for, but I''ve heard the opposite from many sources. By comparison the Sega Saturn was a bitch to develop for. Then Sega''s next system is a breeze, and Sony''s next system is even worse than the Saturn. What a crazy industry. I believe Shigeru Miyamoto said in an interview that "[Sony] has actually made a system that is harder to program than the N64."

#27 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 21 July 2001 - 05:11 PM

I''m in.
but just one thing, how do you think the guys at the big N will feel when thier e-mail is sudenly fluded w/ extra e-mail. A petion(sp?) is a much better idea. You still get your point across and in the same numbers. Also shows you''ve put some effort into the project.

-Lester

#28 Grugnorr   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 July 2001 - 05:31 PM

I´ll help guys

What the hells!

#29 psicor   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 July 2001 - 07:28 PM

i am in ...........

#30 Ulbian   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 July 2001 - 12:35 AM

That is a very good idea!

#31 spillsome   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 July 2001 - 12:39 AM

Drakonite, great idea..
i''m in !

#32 Scarab0   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 July 2001 - 12:57 AM

Yeah! Count me in for the SNES-kit. :D

Dirk "Scarab" Gerrits

''If knowledge is power, than to be unknown is to be unconquerable.''
- Unknown Romulan Centurion

#33 SkyRat   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 July 2001 - 01:40 AM

Why do you want the DEV tools from the companys anyway? There are several free compilers, tools and tutorials out there for free. You cant get it cheaper than free. So if you want to develop for Cybiko, Gameboy, GB Advance, GP32, NeoGeoPocket or Dreamcast (I''m sure there are tools for SNES too but dont know where to find them) check out http://www.devrs.com/ for infos.

Humanity''s first sin was faith; the first virtue was doubt

#34 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 22 July 2001 - 02:18 AM

sega might be quite willing to give out cheap dev kits for the megadrive now that theyve moved out of the hardware market

#35 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 22 July 2001 - 02:43 AM

add me to the list!
i''m not toooo sure about gettin a psx dev kit (sony is very very evil ) but i think that nintendo releasing a cheap snes dev kit wud be awesome!! it might even bring some life back to the old system
~~KaMiKaZ~~

#36 LeMatsch   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 July 2001 - 02:45 AM

"sega might be quite willing to give out cheap dev kits for the megadrive now that theyve moved out of the hardware market"

I guess not...
dev kits, at least for cartridge-based systems, requires the production of new hardware to connect the systems.
And if they won''t produce any more game hardware, how are the odds they''re gonna make that kind of hardware...

Besides...
cartridge based dev kits would be indeed quite useless unless the mentioned "copy stations" were more common

so practically, there''s only the psx left (who does actually own a genesis with cd or a saturn?)

of course they won''t release the official dev kits... not for such a low price. But the yarozee-thing seemed quite alright in my eyes. I think that''s the best thing we can get.
I think we should go for convincing sony to sell them again...

my 2.3 €-cent

#37 Ark4n3   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 July 2001 - 02:52 AM

I think its a good idea, I would like that.

#38 Ricardo Portugal   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 July 2001 - 02:53 AM

Count me in for the PSX devkit.

#39 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 22 July 2001 - 03:06 AM

Looking at the facts, there''s no point in developing for consoles. The way that PCs are going, the game market will be overpowered by PCs. Consoles are becoming less popular everyday. Sure, everyone may have a console in their home, but the probability have them having more than one console is almost non-existant. Now the chances of a gamer having more than one PC is extremely high.

Although PSX2, Dreamcast, and X-Box are supposed to be the next generation of gaming consoles, they closely resemble PCs. Given enough time, those PC-like consoles will disappear and only PCs will be in great supply.

Seeing as most of you want to develop console games as hobbies... Instead, suggest to the console manufacturers to create console systems for hobbiests not ask for cheap or free SDKs for current systems.

Of course, that''s just my opinion.

#40 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 22 July 2001 - 03:56 AM

What about the GameSpark''s GP32? (www.gp32.com)
It''s a handheld similar to GBA but the company offers SDK to independent developers just for free (well, u need VC++ and DX7 )... And also support... Check this one out!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS