• Create Account

Cheap hobiest console dev kit.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
132 replies to this topic

#41 Jedyte   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 July 2001 - 04:10 AM

Yes! SNES-dev kit sounds great!
Contrary to a PS kit, you might get some if there are old ones lying around. PS is too new, and, heck, who''d want to develop for PSX?!?

Count me in.

Sponsor:

#42 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 22 July 2001 - 04:21 AM

Jucey

#43 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 22 July 2001 - 04:25 AM

Not to be greedy or anything, but where''s my XBox dev kit?

#44 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 22 July 2001 - 04:33 AM

Sorry everybody, but I don''t see the point of this. Why can''t we just develop for PCs? They don''t cost much to develop for and can easily throw out performance capable of matching the SNES. A little bit of common sence wouldn''t do any bad now, would it? Well, maybe.

Anywho, good luck guys. You''re going to need it.

#45 Kwizatz   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 1193

Posted 22 July 2001 - 04:51 AM

Hey guys,

well, if you get the SDK, thats great, but if you dont, dont get sad, and head to

napalm look for duke''s page, PS2 development
Paradogs look for libs, and compilers for psx on tools
psxdev Daniel Balster COMPLETE PSX SDK for Linux
Padua Resource Documents on System calls, GTE, SPU and GPU for PSX

and start doing some real console hacking.

See you

#46 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 22 July 2001 - 05:00 AM

Isn''t that illegal, Kwizatz?

#47 jonnyfish   Members   -  Reputation: 265

Posted 22 July 2001 - 05:09 AM

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster

If it is illegal, it''s a messed up law that shouldn''t be obeyed.

#48 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 22 July 2001 - 05:29 AM

Look everybody. I''m may not be into all of this programming stuff, but don''t you all think that it is a bit sad to try and develop for a console that only old farts care about? If you really want to develop games, you may as well stick with a PC. Consoles are losing their popularity by the minute, and PCs - as much as I hate to say it - will become the future of technology. I like to think of myself as a casual gamer, even though I have owned a Playstation, N64 and Dreamcast, and even though they may beat the PC in terms of fun games, they WILL die out, simply because people won''t want them.

The N64 vs PSX is a classic example of this. The N64 easily beats the PlayStation with it''s games, but people chose the PSX becaues it was ''cool''. So what? The N64 had the best games and that''s all that counts. People don''t realise this, however. Unfortunately, though, this is what is happening with consoles vs the PC. The PC isn''t exactly cool, but consoles still appear to the general public as geeky, whereas the PC is designed for all of the family.

You lot should just stick to developing for the PC. But if you really want my advise, go out and get some fresh air.

#49 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 22 July 2001 - 05:36 AM

quote:
Looking at the facts, there''s no point in developing for consoles. The way that PCs are going, the game market will be overpowered by PCs. Consoles are becoming less popular everyday. Sure, everyone may have a console in their home, but the probability have them having more than one console is almost non-existant. Now the chances of a gamer having more than one PC is extremely high.

Although PSX2, Dreamcast, and X-Box are supposed to be the next generation of gaming consoles, they closely resemble PCs. Given enough time, those PC-like consoles will disappear and only PCs will be in great supply.

Are you serious? Consoles will disappear? Then why is the entire PC gaming industry worried? YOU may be too biased to see the facts, but consoles are here to stay, just like PC''s will always have a market for games.

I really doubt Nintendo {the real evil} would sell any dev kits. They DO NOT want unliscensed games floating around, even for a dead system. They would still want a piece of any money made from these games. You are better off trying to get a kit from Sega or Turbografix or 3DO, someone who no longer is in the hardware business and would be eager to unload unused hardware.

#50 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 22 July 2001 - 05:37 AM

Actually, the one who should get some fresh air is you, my friend. It''s not the technology that drives a game, it''s the gameplay that drives a game. Give me a copy of River City Ransom (ATLUS, GET OFF YOUR ASSES AND MAKE ANOTHER ONE!!!!!) over The Bouncer anyday. As a hobbyist, I''d much rather develop for an older system because of the possibility of fun. As a professional, however, I''d want to develop for a newer console, because, obviously, older consoles aren''t marketable anymore.

The idea of this thread is a good idea, but I think the possiblity of it happening is pretty slim. I am going to look into dev kits, though.

#51 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 22 July 2001 - 05:45 AM

quote:
Look everybody. I''m may not be into all of this programming stuff, but don''t you all think that it is a bit sad to try and develop for a console that only old farts care about? If you really want to develop games, you may as well stick with a PC. Consoles are losing their popularity by the minute, and PCs - as much as I hate to say it - will become the future of technology. I like to think of myself as a casual gamer, even though I have owned a Playstation, N64 and Dreamcast, and even though they may beat the PC in terms of fun games, they WILL die out, simply because people won''t want them.

The N64 vs PSX is a classic example of this. The N64 easily beats the PlayStation with it''s games, but people chose the PSX becaues it was ''cool''. So what? The N64 had the best games and that''s all that counts. People don''t realise this, however. Unfortunately, though, this is what is happening with consoles vs the PC. The PC isn''t exactly cool, but consoles still appear to the general public as geeky, whereas the PC is designed for all of the family.

You lot should just stick to developing for the PC. But if you really want my advise, go out and get some fresh air.

Consoles a dying breed? Let''s see here...

PS2... sold like crazy... extremely hard to find for months after the initial release. Not to mention GT3 just broke software sales records.

GBA... still can''t find one, even online. Unless you count Fuschia, of course.

Gamecube... I can only presume this one is going to sell like wildfire, considering the launch titles lined up.

XBox... actually, I have no clue about this one. I already have a PC.

Still claim consoles aren''t popular? Right, that''s what I thought, Buh-Bye.

#52 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 22 July 2001 - 05:55 AM

I would like to attempt to program simple psx games. Sounds good, if the price is right

e-mail: bal@zonepsx2.com

#53 _Firestarter_   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 July 2001 - 05:57 AM

I''m in. Should be an interesting learning experience.

#54 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 22 July 2001 - 06:02 AM

quote:

First of all, PSX won people over with it''s games. Revolutionary games like Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Madden and Wipe-Out attracted the huge audience that help it beat the Saturn and later, the N64. N64 was, as all Nintendo systems, mainly a kiddy machine. PSX was for mature gamers.

Secondly, if anything appears geeky to the general public, it''s still computers. It''s the hardcore "geek" gamers who are responsible for the sale of high end systems. Without them, the market for these systems would die. (you don''t need a $2000 system to surf the net).

People here are looking for dev kits for the old systems because they want experience developing on a console. Besides, let''s face it, console are 50 times more user friendly than a computer. You don''t have to install a game, fiddle with drivers, deal with configuration headaches, or deal with endless crashes. If I were a gamer looking to buy a game, and I saw the same game out for my PC and console, I''d buy the console version, and I''m not alone. That''s one of the reasons why developers are flocking to the consoles, they don''t have to deal with the headaches of developing for multiple PC configurations. Try telling them that the console market is dying. Consoles have been around for 30 years. Consoles are here to stay. Period. Good luck to everyone trying to land a dev kit.

#55 Minion   Members   -  Reputation: 118

Posted 22 July 2001 - 06:03 AM

Well maybe I can mail them, but I really don''t have money to spend on that right now. I think I will stick to the old hackers way to dev for the psx, accessing memory locations directly. It''s riskier and lots harder but it''s a hell of a lot of fun. And I can''t see why it''d be illegal to program a console. After all it''s just a computer. I don''t know but if so that is one f***ed up law.

#56 Kwizatz   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 1193

Posted 22 July 2001 - 06:14 AM

quote:

well, if you see psxdev.de licence page you will find out that it is indeed illegal to make a game and SELL it without a licence, but since we are all in for the knowledge, and maybe to get a job on one of the licenced developing companies, I see no harm, these guys have hacked their way into the console, the libs are home made, the compiler is good old GNU targeting different flavors of MIPS processors, plus some hacks to handle GPU, GTE, SPU and the other gizmos inside the PSX, besides you bought the PSX didnt you? you can burn it if you want, hacking it is better thought , I havent heard of anyone going to jail for this, and some of these sites have been around for ages, so as far as you dont infiltrate SONY and steal specs and the like, they can do you no harm, unless your intentions are to make commercial games, in that case I would recomend stay on PC, make good money there and then pay for a dev licence to sony, like blizzard, I saw diablo for PSX once.

I doubt you will be making money out of a new SNES game now, so I assume everyone is in for learning some console dev, and thats all.

#57 furby100   Members   -  Reputation: 102

Posted 22 July 2001 - 06:22 AM

quote:
Original post by jonnyfish
If it is illegal, it''s a messed up law that shouldn''t be obeyed.

Well, it''s not a criminal offence. It''s a tort. So there''s no law against it, you could just get sued by the console manufacturer for breaking their licence agreement. Since they can sue you under American rules, they name their own price. I don''t want to have to pay $2 million to any console manufacturer.

#58 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 22 July 2001 - 06:28 AM

So.... You honestly believe the PC market is doing good?? In comparison to consoles??

I hope you realize companies like Nintendo, Sony, Namco, Capcom, THQ, Sega and maybe Eidos are in the same league as Microsoft when it comes down to the $$$? Why else do you think Microsoft is getting into the console Industry? Do you honestly think the PC versions of Tony Hawk sold better than even one of the PSX versions? Same with all the Final Fantasy games. Right right, in the END, the PC version may have more options, that still doesn''t mean its the best seller. The X-Box, is trying to bring all the so called advantages of the PC market to the console market. i.e. a hard dive, so you can create and save custom maps, characters, skins, everything ... Or if you can run Linux on your PS2, with an 8gb hard drive, what do you need a PC for? Games? Nope.

Given another 4-5 years, PC Technology may advance, however, will it really be neccisary? We''re technically reaching a point where both PCs and Consoles are the same, and more powerful than we need for normal tasks (like writing projects for school, or voice recognition). We don''t need a 2-3 GHz PC, we can already do high poly graphics on a 400mhz PS2. Big deal, that 3GHz PC with a new NVidia card can do 8x the number of polys and soft shadows, or better reflections, or... Is it that big of a difference anymore??

There''s really only 1 obstacle left. AI. Now the problem with that, is if we make them too smart. Then we see ourselves in the Matrix Scenereo. Sounds like fun.

#59 InfinitySquared   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 July 2001 - 07:48 AM

quote:
So.... You honestly believe the PC market is doing good?? In comparison to consoles??

I hope you realize companies like Nintendo, Sony, Namco, Capcom, THQ, Sega and maybe Eidos are in the same league as Microsoft when it comes down to the $$$? Why else do you think Microsoft is getting into the console Industry? Do you honestly think the PC versions of Tony Hawk sold better than even one of the PSX versions? Same with all the Final Fantasy games. Right right, in the END, the PC version may have more options, that still doesn''t mean its the best seller. The X-Box, is trying to bring all the so called advantages of the PC market to the console market. i.e. a hard dive, so you can create and save custom maps, characters, skins, everything ... Or if you can run Linux on your PS2, with an 8gb hard drive, what do you need a PC for? Games? Nope.

Given another 4-5 years, PC Technology may advance, however, will it really be neccisary? We''re technically reaching a point where both PCs and Consoles are the same, and more powerful than we need for normal tasks (like writing projects for school, or voice recognition). We don''t need a 2-3 GHz PC, we can already do high poly graphics on a 400mhz PS2. Big deal, that 3GHz PC with a new NVidia card can do 8x the number of polys and soft shadows, or better reflections, or... Is it that big of a difference anymore??

There''s really only 1 obstacle left. AI. Now the problem with that, is if we make them too smart. Then we see ourselves in the Matrix Scenereo. Sounds like fun.

I''m sick and tired of people claiming that PCs and Consoles are at the same level technically. Any month now Intel will be releasing the 2ghz P4 processor. In a few months Microsoft will be releasing the most powerful CONSOLE yet. Only its 700mhz. That is a difference of 1.3 ghz.

#60 Pixelisator   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 July 2001 - 08:10 AM

Definitly YYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!
Waiter !! A PSX one for me, please!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS