should i learn this other then that?????

Started by
6 comments, last by NovaShadowCat 22 years, 9 months ago
i was wondering if i should learn opengl over directx for the following reasons i cant get Dev C++ to work with directx, ive been told opengl is easier to learn, i want to work with anything thats easier for a hobby so should i learn opengl over directx or vice versa? thx
Advertisement
Easier is all just a state of mind. C++ programmers usualy tell me it was easier for them to learn Direct X. C programmers always explain to me how OpenGL is so much easier. Then there are the smart people who learn both and don''t restrict themselves to one api. My suggestion is to try both and figure out what suits you better.
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
Hey,
All I know is this. OpenGL can do a lot of stuff that directX can''t in the Graphics part. Although, DX has things such as input, sound, and music. I also know that John Carmack (lead programmer for id software, Quake, Quake II, Quake III Arena, etc) called Direct3D a, "Disgustingly broken API". Now, I don''t know about you but coming from someone that good, I would take his advice. Thats why I use OpenGL. Also, you can and should utilize DX for things like music, input, and SFX.

============================
E-mail me : TheJester@GameBox.net

"With my feet upon the ground I lose myself between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I'm reaching up and reaching out. I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me, what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been. We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been." - Maynard James Keenan Name: [email=darkswordtbj@hotmail.com]TheBlackJester[/email]Team: Wildfire Games
Projects O A.D.The Last Alliance

He did not say that of DirectX8. It was said about an older version. DX8 is pretty much improved in my opinion, I really like what I have seen so far.

Patrick Lafleur

System Engineer
Creation Objet Inc.
The actual quote was "Horribly broken API". And that was about D3D v3, which still utilized execute buffers.
There''s a FAQ in the forum read it please.
Can a Moderator close this thread ?

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
Actually, this forum doesn''t appear to have a FAQ, so I''ll just issue a warning: asking questions that are basically "Is X better than Y" are BAD unless you have some very specific criteria that you are asking about. This goes doubly for OpenGL vs Direct3D or Windows vs Linux, because everyone has their own opinions, with many good justifications, and the debate doesn''t really answer the original question. The best thing to do is to look at the documentation for both, and look at what looks best to you.
Fortunately the folks here are good about not starting flame wars...

There are some pretty good answers here, and personally I don''t mind the question as long as the people replying behave.

I would suggest taking a look at some tutorials in each, and see what makes sense to you. Maybe try making a small rotating cube or equivalent in each, which shouldn''t take long, and see which one you find easier.

-fel
~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement