• Create Account

Permanent Object Transformation . . . . ..

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 casanovaC4   Members   -  Reputation: 120

0Likes

Posted 19 September 2009 - 12:26 PM

Hy, is there any way to translate or rotate a 3D object permanently without loading identity matrices again and again. Like, i have a cube and i want to rotate the cube itself but not the modelview matrix. The solution i think is that i have to create a matrix for each vertex of the cube and then load that vertex matrix and then use rotation or translation method, this way cube will rotate but not the modelview matrix, but i maybe wrong. Will be greatly thankful if someone can help out. Regards.

Sponsor:

#2 idinev   Members   -  Reputation: 236

0Likes

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:46 PM

Make a 4x4 or 4x3 matrix, multiply with your vec3, replace vertex with that vec3.

#3 casanovaC4   Members   -  Reputation: 120

0Likes

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:07 PM

That means i have to convert every point into a matrix?
Wont that be difficult and time consuming?
Does OpenGL provide any function which takes in x, y, z and returns matrix or something?

#4 ibebrett   Members   -  Reputation: 205

0Likes

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:09 PM

no, multiply each point by the transformation matrix you wish, then store the results.

#5 casanovaC4   Members   -  Reputation: 120

0Likes

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:15 PM

I know what your saying but tell me how to multiply a point with a rotation or translation matrix?
Is there any OpenGL function which does that for you or what?

#6 Codeka   Members   -  Reputation: 1153

0Likes

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:21 PM

OpenGL doesn't have anything built in that can do it, but there are third-party libraries which you can use.

#7 Fiddler   Members   -  Reputation: 762

0Likes

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:33 AM

I have answered your question here...

Just note that the GPU will transform all vertices anyway, even if you don't specify a modelview/projection matrix! This is what the GPU is designed to do - by duplicating all this work on the CPU you essentially lose the benefits of hardware acceleration and make your code several orders of magnitude slower.

The only reason you should ever touch the vertices of an object, is to deform it in a permanent way.

[OpenTK: C# OpenGL 4.4, OpenGL ES 3.0 and OpenAL 1.1. Now with Linux/KMS support!]

#8 haegarr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3892

0Likes

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:04 AM

Quote:
Original post by Fiddler
The only reason you should ever touch the vertices of an object, is to deform it in a permanent way.

I think the most often reason is importing a model from a modeling package that doesn't fit the game's world convention (okay, can be understood as "permanent deformation" ;)).

@OP: However, I agree that besides some special purposes one should keep the hands off it. Avoiding "loading identity matrices again and again" isn't such a purpose, IMHO, especially because one cannot avoid it anyway.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS