• Create Account

Beginner's help

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 Silent Player   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 19 July 2001 - 03:18 PM

Hi, I recently got to programming in C++, my first real programming language and when I tried to build one of the first and simplest examples in the book I bought(Beginning Visual C++ 5.0) I get these two errors: LIBCD.lib(wincrt0.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _WinMain@16 Debug/ex_2.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals Here is the code I used: ------------------------start // fruit addition #include int main() { int apples, oranges; // initiate two fruit variables int fruits; // initiate variable ''fruits'' apples = 5; oranges = 6; // assign values to fruit variables fruits = apples + oranges; // total fruits into variable ''fruits'' cout << "If we add the value of apples and oranges we should get " << fruits << " total fruits in all."; return 0; } ------------------------end Would anyone happen to know what''s wrong? Thank you.

Sponsor:

#2 Martee   Members   -  Reputation: 476

Posted 19 July 2001 - 03:30 PM

Create a new project, and make it a console app instead of a Win32 app.

~~~~~~~~~~
Martee

#3 Midnight Coder   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 July 2001 - 08:11 AM

There are different types of projects you can make in VC++. Win32 applications are the ones normally used in windows. For DOS or console applications, you must choose to make a Console application when creating the project. Win32 apps begin with WinMain instead of main, so that''s why you got the error. Just start a new console app with your source code and it should work.

#4 Alamar   Members   -  Reputation: 256

Posted 20 July 2001 - 09:14 AM

I''m not flaming, I just want to clear this up for some people.

A console app is NOT a DOS app. And it IS a Win32 app.

Win32 is just signifying that it uses 32-bit windows. There are no projects in the default VC++ that are for making DOS apps. And not all win32 apps need a WinMain, as previously stated, the Win32 console app uses main.

For example, if you make a Win32 console app, you need to be in windows to execute it, you can''t go out of windows (like booting of a DOS disk) and execute it...

Another example...There is no DOS in WinNT, but console apps are still made, and executed all the time on NT systems.

G''luck,
-Alamar

#5 Elwren   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 July 2001 - 05:09 PM

You also forgot to include the iostream.h file. All you have is #include and not the actual file to include. So in order to use the "cout" function, you should include iostream.h

Edited by - Elwren on July 20, 2001 12:11:10 AM

#6 Kylotan   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3338

Posted 21 July 2001 - 04:45 AM

quote:
Original post by Elwren
You also forgot to include the iostream.h file. All you have is #include and not the actual file to include.

It''s ok Elwren, this board chews up stuff inside the angular brackets such as included filenames and template parameters I expect he did include iostream properly in the original code.

#7 Elwren   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 July 2001 - 11:16 PM

hehe ya i realized that, in my reply i tried to put iostream.h in them angular brackets and it didn''t show up so i had to edit it and take them out =( oh wellioz

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS