• Create Account

MD2 Indices Are Confusing

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 stevo86   Members   -  Reputation: 150

0Likes

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:17 PM

My goal is to take an MD2 file, extract the information I need (essentially just the individual frames) and perform all the calculations necessary to get to the ACTUAL vertex information (not the compressed-encoded-bit form of the vertex index(I know I'm in a forum of overly-logical and analytical programmers so just to clarify, that was an exaggeration)), and write a new file using only that information. And if it turns out to be a nightmarishly large file I can always work on compressing it down later on. We're selling terabyte external hard drives for less than $100, I don't need to compress every single bit to 1/10000th of it's original size like we needed to for Quake or Quake 2, and I don't need the added complexity of skeletal animation or separate meshes like the milkshape format has, just the plain old vertices frame by frame that I can interpolate between and stuff into a vertex array to throw at the GPU. If anyone could try and help explain how all the indices work together and how I would need to arrange them to make them VA-friendly, I'd greatly appreciate it. Or if you've got another suggestion that would be more speed-friendly, I'm open to suggestions.

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS