• Create Account

Dark Age Version 0.4.1006 Released!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
52 replies to this topic

#21 Black Knight   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 758

Posted 17 November 2009 - 03:00 AM

Hi Nathan!Im glad you liked the game and thanks for all the suggestions I will look into them.Sheeps are not meant to be killed so thats probably a bug about skills being used on non hostile chars.
I will add a map of the area soon.Probably a render to texture from the top will do.Right mouse button is used for blocking enemy attacks right now.You have to use it after the enemy has completed 75% of its attack progress.You can walk down steep cliffs but you can't walk back up the only exception to this is when you are in water.This makes it harder to get stuck.Yea I need to improve my grammer :) Or find someone who can write quest texts.Actuall you don't even have to use the world editor the quest files are all txt files stored under Data/World folder.Goblins getting stuck is probably because of my sucky collision code :) I guess you killed them with the bow because they can melee you even if they are stuck right?
About difficulty I haven't really tweaked it after I changed the combat system and made changes to how energy works but I think its pretty challenging.I might still modify a few things.
Again thanks for spending the time and testing everything.I see you have found the mountain castle :) Haven you been to the city too?You need to go north across the bridge and then follow the road west.BTW is save/load feature working properly?

Sponsor:

#22 CRYP7IK   Members   -  Reputation: 1025

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:43 AM

Whoa, I had no idea about the block thing! *Tests it out* Cool! Makes the game a bit easier, which is good for the dungeon.

Mostly you just forget to have a ' ' after a ,.?! :P.

Yep, killed them with the bow. Was a lot easier then getting them down 45 or so points of health and dieing(with Melee), although with block it should be possible.

Haha, no problem it's actually a fun game, can't wait for more quests and content! Yeah I found that city, went through it and the gates worked which was cool (I was hoping for more quests!). As far as I could tell everything saved and loaded properly.

#23 Black Knight   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 758

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:52 AM

Yea I am planning to add tons of quests in and around the city.There will some related to the mountain you climbed and also in a forest east of Karatin.They are planned out and written on my design notebook :) but not implemented yet.

#24 Johan Gustafsson   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 298

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:26 AM

Both editor and game crash to desktop with "Can't find file: userPrefs.ini". I got the included dx and vs runtimes and i'm running Windows 7 x64. Tried to run it as administrator but to no use.

Heres the log file:

Log file created on Wed Nov 18 20:42:12 2009

File = .\src\WinMain.cpp
Function = WinMain
Line = 19
Message = Dark Age Started!

File = .\src\DirectX\D3D9Renderer.cpp
Function = STE::D3D9Renderer::getText
Line = 555
Message = Arial 15 returning null font.

Line = 555
Message = Gaeilge 1 20 returning null font.

Line = 555
Message = Arial 12 returning null font.

Line = 555
Message = Gaeilge3d returning null font.

Function = STE::D3D9Renderer::getEffect
Line = 296
Message = Can't find effect terrain.fx

Line = 296
Message = Can't find effect water.fx

Line = 296
Message = Can't find effect sky.fx

Line = 296
Message = Can't find effect model.fx

File = .\src\WinMain.cpp
Function = WinMain
Line = 49
Message = Dark Age Ended!

#25 Black Knight   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 758

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:20 AM

Ok the userPrefs.ini should be inside the games folder, but it should be copied by the game to you documents folder under USER/Documents/Dark Age/userPrefs.ini

Can you check if it exists?You can copy it manually from the game folder.

#26 Johan Gustafsson   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 298

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:13 AM

Got it to work by manually creating a folder named "Documents" in my user directory and then put "Dark Age/userPrefs.ini" in there. I'm using a custom locaiton for my Documents folder (another hard drive actually) so thats probably why it did not work.

#27 Black Knight   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 758

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:18 AM

Yea probably.I had to use the documents folder because when I used the programfiles folder for the userPrefs.ini and the game is not in administrator mode you can't write to program files.So the save games and config files are under documents darkage.

#28 Black Knight   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 758

Posted 22 November 2009 - 05:35 AM

I uploaded a new exe with a couple of fixes.You can't kill friendly NPCs with powerful blow skill anymore :) Also you can't walk on air when you get off the edge of the bridges.

I also uploaded the world editor video to youtube here is the link

#29 Haptic   Members   -  Reputation: 205

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:39 PM

Black Knight,

I'm a big fan, I messed around with one of your older versions a while back but unfortunately I get errors trying to open this build.

Installation was fine. I get the settings box at the beginning, I've tried various resolutions and toggled fullscreen/vsync but I always get the (not very helpful) error "Dark Age.exe has stopped working".

Im on Vista Ultimate 32-bit, 3GHz E8400 Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8800GS, DirectX 11. Same computer I ran the older build on.

Looks great though, keep it up.
- Haptic

#30 Black Knight   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 758

Posted 25 November 2009 - 06:25 PM

Is there anything useful in the log file?Do you have a Dark Age folder under My Documents?
These errors are forcing me to put the vc++ and dx dlls into the same folder as the exe and remove the installer all together.This would also remove the problems with UAC as the game will be just a folder on your desktop.

[Edited by - Black Knight on November 26, 2009 12:25:52 AM]

#31 Haptic   Members   -  Reputation: 205

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:25 AM

I'm getting the same errors as lilljohan, except that my Documents folder is the default one. Yes, I have a Dark Age folder in My Documents and it also contains userprefs.ini.

The log file says the following:

Line = 555
Message = Arial 15 returning null font.

Line = 555
Message = Gaeilge 1 20 returning null font.

Line = 555
Message = Arial 12 returning null font.

Line = 555
Message = Gaeilge3d returning null font.

Line = 296
Message = Can't find effect terrain.fx

[Edited by - Haptic on November 27, 2009 5:25:49 PM]
- Haptic

#32 Black Knight   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 758

Posted 27 November 2009 - 02:52 PM

Hmm if there is nothing else after that lines in the log file it is failing in loading terrain.fx.Strange your graphics cards should handle those shaders.Do you have the latest dx9 runtimes and stuff.

Oh wait so your saying it gives the error cannot find userPrefs.ini at the beginning??

I found out something in my code which might be the cause.I was getting the my documents folder like this :

SHGetFolderPath(NULL,CSIDL_MYDOCUMENTS,NULL,SHGFP_TYPE_DEFAULT,path);

This only gets the path if it exists in its default location,if it is moved or renamed or redirected etc it fails.

SHGetFolderPath(NULL,CSIDL_MYDOCUMENTS,NULL,SHGFP_TYPE_CURRENT,path); should get the folder in its current location.

More info here

I will make a new executable and upload it for testing if this is the problem.

[Edited by - Black Knight on November 27, 2009 9:52:40 PM]

#33 Black Knight   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 758

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:06 PM

I have uploaded the latest revision to my site as a test build.Here is the link :

download

I have changed the code to get the user folder to this :

char path[1024] = {0};
if(SUCCEEDED(SHGetFolderPath(NULL,CSIDL_MYDOCUMENTS,NULL,SHGFP_TYPE_CURRENT ,path)) == false)
{
if(SUCCEEDED(SHGetFolderPath(NULL,CSIDL_MYDOCUMENTS|CSIDL_FLAG_CREATE,NULL,SHGFP_TYPE_DEFAULT ,path)) == false)
{
throw STE::RunTimeException("Couldn't get/create Documents folder",FUNCTIONINFO);
}
}

m_DarkAgePath = path;
m_DarkAgePath+="\\Dark Age";

m_SavesPath = path;
m_SavesPath += "\\Dark Age\\Saves";

if(!STE::STUtil::DirectoryExist(m_DarkAgePath))
{
CreateDirectory(m_DarkAgePath.c_str(),NULL);
CreateDirectory(m_SavesPath.c_str(),NULL);
}

//copy user prefs to darkage folder if it doesnt exist
std::string filePath = m_DarkAgePath + "\\userPrefs.ini";
if( !STE::STUtil::FileExist(filePath))
{
SetCurrentDirectory(m_GamePath.c_str());
std::ifstream ifile("userPrefs.ini");

SetCurrentDirectory(m_DarkAgePath.c_str());
std::ofstream ofile("userPrefs.ini");
ofile << ifile.rdbuf();
}

It first tries to get the current location if it can't it tries to create it at the default location.And if that fails too should throw an exception.

The test build is not stable it has unfinished code for the new entity system and lots of stuff so don't blame me if it crashes during game play [smile]

Let me know how it turns out.

#34 Haptic   Members   -  Reputation: 205

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:11 PM

Ah no, sorry, my internet has been really horrible lately and I just skimmed the previous posts before it cut out again!

I don't get errors about userPrefs.ini, but I get the same errors about fonts and terrain.fx. What I posted is the whole log file after is says 'Dark Age Started!'

My graphics card has never had an issue with any commercial games or any of the crazy shaders I've concocted so I don't think thats the issue.

I would love to test the new build but my internets pulling about 4kB/s at the moment and cuts out completely every 10/15 minutes. It's going to be mid next week at least before the phone guy comes and fixes stuff (longer judging by the last time they 'helped').
- Haptic

#35 Black Knight   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 758

Posted 28 November 2009 - 06:12 PM

OK let me know when you have chance to test it.
I have also found a bug in my effect loading code which would cause crashes if the graphics card doesn't support DX 9.0c,I had pixel shader that are using ps_2_b and if the card didn't support it,it was crashing.I fixed those bugs and upgraded the game to use shader model 3.0 which is DX 9.0c anyway.

Try this link for the new setup : download

#36 Haptic   Members   -  Reputation: 205

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:45 PM

Edit: I reinstalled DirectX and the game now runs fine. DxDiag said I already had DirectX11 installed so I'm not sure what the issue was but all works fine now.

Ok, my internet has fixed itself!

Still having issues. The log file just says when Dark age was started and ended.

The error message when I run the game is:

Error message :
Can't add effect file terrain.fx (Couldnt get compilation errors)

File:.\src\DirectX\D3D9Renderer.cpp
Function: STE::D3D9Renderer::addEffect
Line: 288
---------------------------------------------------
STEngine

- Haptic

#37 acorn   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 29 November 2009 - 02:44 PM

I have the same issue as haptic. does not run due to that error.

#38 Black Knight   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 758

Posted 29 November 2009 - 02:51 PM

What is your graphics card?You need a DX9.0c capable card which has shader model 3.0 support.

#39 PaperCut   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:12 PM

Hey I tried to play the game but it crashes on start. says something about not loading terain.fx is there a fix for this? I'm using vista.

#40 Black Knight   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 758

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:49 PM

Do you have a graphics card that supports DX9.0c(shader model 3.0)?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS