• Create Account

We need your feedback on a survey! Each completed response supports our community and gives you a chance to win a $25 Amazon gift card!

Time for college: Is my major ok?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 cemedias   Members   -  Reputation: 133

0Likes

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:08 PM

Next year I plan to attend college. I got accepted to a local university (Robert Morris University near Pittsburgh, PA), and was granted a $36,000 scholarship ($9,000 per year). I am trying to choose a major at this school that will help me get into the game development industry. The major I am looking at is Computer Information Systems with a concentrated focus on software development. My ultimate goal is to get into a game development company with a programming position, then become a project manager, and either work my way up the ladder further or use the experience I gain to start my own company. I am a programmer with an interest in the business side of game development. This is why I think Computer Information Systems would be a good major for me. It covers both computer software and hardware, allows me to have a focus on software development, and wraps it all together by teaching project management. Obviously, I am also leaning towards going to this school because of the monetary scholarship available to me. Additionally, all internships provided by this school are paid (around $ll/hr), and last year the school couldn't fill all the internships available. My question is, will I be able to get into the game industry going for this major? The school also offers a masters in Information Systems in only an extra half year. I understand that a lot of programmers recommend a major in Computer Science or Software Engineering, but neither of those specific majors are offered at RMU.

Sponsor:

#2 Promit   Moderators   -  Reputation: 7695

0Likes

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:23 PM

Moved to Breaking In.

#3 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10179

0Likes

Posted 15 November 2009 - 03:33 PM

Quote:
Original post by cemedias
will I be able to get into the game industry

Nobody has a crystal ball. Nobody can foretell your future.
Don't do the things in FAQ 24 == http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson24.htm
And do the things in FAQ 27 == http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson27.htm

-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#4 cemedias   Members   -  Reputation: 133

0Likes

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:07 AM

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think I was really clear enough in my question. Tom, that quote was taken out of context; the important part is the degree. I suppose I should have phrased my question: "Generally, will a game developer hire someone that has a degree in Computer Information Systems, or would a degree in Computer Science be more appropriate?". I just want to know if gamedev employers see a major difference in the two degree's; or if they pay more attention to your portfolio and the fact that you got some sort of software development degree, rather than what that degree is for?

#5 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10179

0Likes

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:54 PM

Hi Ceme, you wrote:
>I don't think I was really clear enough in my question... I suppose I should have phrased my question: "Generally, will a game developer hire someone that has a degree in Computer Information Systems, or would a degree in Computer Science be more appropriate?"

Good. A well-phrased question will more often than not get you the answer that you're looking for.

>. I just want to know if gamedev employers see a major difference in the two degree's

Nobody cares what degree you have.
They care that you HAVE a degree.
They care what you can DO with the learning you acquired while getting that degree.
You can SHOW what you can do, if you just show them a great portfolio.
-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#6 cemedias   Members   -  Reputation: 133

0Likes

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:19 PM

I appreciate the reply. That is exactly the answer I was looking for. I apologize for the confusion in my first post.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS