• Create Account

- - - - -

05.05 - (B) Game Completion Lounge

• You cannot reply to this topic
45 replies to this topic

#21 asylum101   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 05 August 2001 - 10:10 PM

great code darkterax!
you showed some implements of a few things i was curious about i was wondering though what led you to do your loadpieces() the way you did and a little eexplination as cuz im not too clear on how what you did works
but it works great! thanks in advance
like i said learning lots from teej and forum read(anyone who knows more ahbout programming than i and willing to share the knowledge)

Sponsor:

#22 DarkTerrax   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 06 August 2001 - 09:41 AM

asylum, thank you kindly for your kind words.

Basically when i got to implementing the pieces definition I didn''t really like the way Teej decided to do it, putting it in a file and all. I just figured it would be pretty darn easy to hack and make all the pieces long pieces, so instead I hard coded the piece definitions into the program. Basically just saying:

pieces[0][0][0][0] = 0, pieces[0][0][0][1] = 1, etc.

But, since I''m a lazy bastard and HATE typing, I put a little "#define" in there and some other kind of strange code. Basically you can ignore that though, it''s just a confusing way of coding that saves typing trouble.

Not sure how much explanation you want, but if you want me to go in a bit more fully I am more than happy to.

-DarkTerrax

#23 Crox_guldtand   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 06 August 2001 - 10:46 AM

I´m there!

#24 videns   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 08 August 2001 - 05:28 AM

FragLegs,
Where''s the code?

#25 FragLegs   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 08 August 2001 - 02:04 PM

Oh, sorry. Here''s the code for SnakeAttack.

There''s a lot of stuff in this zip: The C code, the bmps, the icon, and the resource script for VC++ 6.0. Have fun.

FragLegs

#26 TheTramp   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 12 August 2001 - 06:46 AM

DarkTerrax:
Your tetris game inspired me to add lots of features to mine, and I also thought your way of loading the pieces was a bit weird - the way I would have done if I wanted to keep the file separate is to include the pieces.dat as a custom resource... but your way works fine.

FragLegs:
I liked your snake game a lot, it reminds me of nibbles, and that cant bee a bad thing... - but one bug which is very easy to fix, is if you are moving right and you press left and vise versa, you die. It is the same with up and down.
I thought that maybe when everyone has got more experience there should be a competition as to who could make the best game from the bascecode, just like your snake game.

#27 Swede   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 12 August 2001 - 11:29 PM

Hey
I'm there!
I will continue to improve my game with new features until the new project start.

It's great fun this game making business...

// Swede

Edited by - Swede on August 16, 2001 2:27:35 AM

#28 tripnotize   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 14 August 2001 - 07:59 AM

Well that was fun, thanks teej! I added a cool musical sound track and I''m working on making it a two player game now. Perhaps over the internet, but for now just on one computer.

#29 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 14 August 2001 - 10:58 PM

WOOHOO!
I did it!
I now actually have something that could be said to more or less resemble a tetris-clone.

I just can''t wait for the next project.

You''re doing a great job Teej!!!
Thnx.

#30 Lebowski18   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 14 August 2001 - 11:01 PM

Whoops!
just made another anonymous post :D

#31 MAD_Mask   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 15 August 2001 - 10:25 AM

DarkTerrax:
Great Stuff man, I realy learned from your code.
But it is preaty big.... and it doesn't have explanations... and because of that is somme how hard to falow ( for me ) but still , is great .
The Mask

Edited by - MAD_Mask on August 15, 2001 5:31:54 PM

#32 FragLegs   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 15 August 2001 - 12:39 PM

TheTramp:

I''m glad you liked my game. It was, in fact, meant to be a Nibbles clone (but with better graphics). As for the pressing right while moving left and vice versa, you are supposed to die when you do that. Otherwise, you''d be travelling all over yourself, which is one of the conditions for death in Nibbles. Thanks for the feedback, though. I might add some more levels in the near future, but real school (as oppossed to summer school) is about to start again, so it might be in the far future. I had a great idea for a new Tetris game that I''ll be working on as soon as I get home (I''m on vacation now).

FragLegs

#33 TheTramp   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 16 August 2001 - 03:00 AM

When I did a snake clone (very basic, on my calculator), I received the same comment, so it should just ignore keypresses in the opposite direction, but I guess it is just personal taste.

#34 FragLegs   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 August 2001 - 06:37 PM

TheTramp:

You know, I kind of like the idea of just ignoring keypresses. Perhaps I''ll put that in the next release.

FragLegs

#35 videns   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 August 2001 - 01:54 PM

Teej,
You still with us?

#36 MAD_Mask   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 August 2001 - 09:04 AM

I must say I have the same qst. like videns:
"Teej , are you still with us?"
Hope so...
The Mask

#37 videns   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 August 2001 - 08:41 AM

I redid my clone because it was sort of bad...well not bad, just minimal. So it now has spiffy graphics, sounds, a high score class (using the STL''s multimap container), menus, and a cool font that I found somewhere. The clone is called Rankris. You can check it out on my page.

Strangely enough, I redid this *before* looking at DarkTerrax''s clone, but some of the features we implemented are similar. Needless to say, I''m sure we implemented them differently. Great minds...

videns

#38 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 30 August 2001 - 12:57 AM

Can i have direct input in another thread than the window thread??? this will work? (i think so) and when the input thread processes the keyboard and mouse messages it must protect the data (3d objects etc...) with a mutex right?? so the render thread dont mess up with the input thread?

Can anyone give me a light or som code??

(sorry bad english)

PROMAG

#39 wrenhal   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 September 2001 - 09:42 AM

HEY, I remember a while back some people saying they were going to translate these tuts to OpenGL or maybe even to use Java or such. Has anyone done this yet????

BeS
It''s Da BOMB Baby!!!
. o O ~
A little nonsense now and then,
is relished by the wisest men
~ O o .
-- Willy Wonka

#40 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 06 October 2001 - 07:00 AM

Is teej still with us?!?

PARTNERS