Need tips on showing my portfolio and resume to potential employers

Started by
1 comment, last by Journey 14 years, 4 months ago
I'm looking for a job as a remote programmer doing Flash games. I live in South America so my aim is to find a job that can pay either in dollars, euros or GBPs. I was told that I needed to show a finished game as part of my portfolio at the bare minimum, so I went ahead and made the best two Flash demos I could think of, an interactive flag physics demo and a fully functional rubik's cube game with a real solver. I have my Flash work now in addition to my previous work done in C++, DirectX and OpenGL. All I need now is a good strategy to show it to potential employers. How should I set up my resume? How should I set up my portfolio page? I have my Flash demos on Newgrounds, so should I just link to those or host separate files on my own portfolio website? How should I present the information visually so that employers get to see the important stuff right away? What should I NOT show? I'd like to know as much as possible in order to approach Flash game companies properly. Bear in mind that my goal is to work remotely from home, since I can't afford to relocate abroad. Below are links to my two Flash demos. This one is my flag physics demo: Venezuelan Flag And this one is my real time Rubik's Cube game: Cubehead I have other work in C++ to show, but since it's a Flash job I'm after, I wanted to get straight to the point. Thank you for your time.
Advertisement
If I was you I would make a website about you and a portfolio on there with your work, that is just my opinion. Then on your actual resume you can link your site for your demos. Since it is flash you should be able to embed them into a web page to try out themselves unless it is just a demo of it and not a playable demo. Here is a question, have you ever thought about making a website establishing a company and doing something all yourself? Just a thought.
Well I've certainly thought about it. But the problem is I need a job to sustain myself, and I want to get real world experience first working for a top developer (eventually), using Flash as a stepping stone for getting into a traditional game company that works in C++ for consoles/PC. That has been my dream for ages. So starting out doing Flash seems like a good idea to get my feet wet and not have to work eternally doing boring (IMO) web stuff so I can save enough to start my own company.

By any chance, do you ask that because you get the impression that I'm well prepared for such a step? That would be a great compliment.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement