• Create Account

Newbies: Any Requests?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

#1 draqza   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 26 July 2001 - 10:54 AM

I''m running a website with various beginners tutorials, and I wanted to know what types of tutorials some of you would be interested in--if I can do it, I''ll type one up; if I can''t, I''ll learn it and then type one up. Check out the current site (sparse though it is) at http://www20.brinkster.com/draqza/ -- WNDCLASSEX Reality; ... ... Reality.lpfnWndProc=ComputerGames; ... ... RegisterClassEx(&Reality); Unable to register Reality...what''s wrong? --------- Dan Upton Lead Designer WolfHeart Software

Sponsor:

#2 b0b   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 26 July 2001 - 11:02 AM

How about a windows tutorial? DirectX tutorials are a little overdone and all the windows tutorials are in MFC instead of Win32 API. What do you do if you want to respond to aletter being pressed on the keyboard after you write WM_CHAR? MSDNs tutorials are all in MFC so its no help.

#3 epsilon42   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 26 July 2001 - 10:52 PM

the source code for a really basic game using graphics would be really helpful... although i have no idea if this would be really time consuming or what... you know, just like a game where maybe you have to move a cursor to a certain point on the screen or something. something really simple with really simple gfx. that''s all.

my opinion on learning any language, is just to experiment with code that already works and see what changes to it make it not work. that''s basically the best way i find to learn anything (html, java-script, flash, 3d modelling, math, french, japanese, bhojpuri, somalian, slovakian you name it).

maybe release that code answer as many questions you can about the code a newbie such as myself may ask, and if we still have questions, we''ll email ya questions (or a forum or something), and you can post the answers to the question on your page or something.

hehe, i think i''m asking a bit much, ah well you wanted my opinion :D

#4 draqza   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 27 July 2001 - 08:43 AM

Well, b0b, I already have basic windows primer for creating a window and using resources and whatnot without using MFC or the appwizards. Although I maybe should add a quick tutorial on receiving key-presses the way I learned it (apparently there are several ways).

And Epsilon... I''ll see about that. The 0to1 group I joined is supposed to be from game programming anyway, so it''s high time I got a game programming tutorial up.

#5 Anonymous Programmer   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 27 July 2001 - 04:14 PM

I agree with epsilon42, maybe a simple game like pong or something.

Anonymous Programmer

#6 SAKIRA   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 29 July 2001 - 06:41 PM

I WOULD LIKE YOU TO HELP ME RUN DX IN MY BCB WHILE ONLINE IF YOU HAVE THE TIME

THX
SAKIRA

#7 whereiswez   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 31 July 2001 - 07:20 AM

how about several tutorials of pong in ascii and then in windows ?

each tutorial will display different ways to complete the program

with basics
then classes
then pointers
etc

a while ago i completed pong in ascii but the end file was 146k

i havnt had proper time aside to look into things, but have been trying to rewrite it using classes and later links lists so that the ball can split into three balls and also i wanted to add random animated flying balls to collect (one of them will split the ball in 3, and others will expand and contract the paddle, etc) like arkanoid ..

reason for ASCII is so that it will literally compile anywhere without special libraries that have to be hunted down, and thus can help ANYONE (who should be able to compile it) learn the basic concept without having the problem of graphics display cards and memory problems.

#8 Blood_Dragon   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 02 August 2001 - 03:13 PM

How about a terminology tutorial that stuff always confuses me.

#9 Sinner_Zero   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 02 August 2001 - 08:21 PM

go termililigy!

those words are tough sometimes. Especially the 3D stuff.

#10 HockeyPlyr   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 03 August 2001 - 05:28 AM

I would like to know how to interpret mouse button clicks, dragging, (anything mouse related) in the Windows environment. I learned how to do it under linux (Programming for X Windows book taught me), but am now working on trying to understand it under Windows (currently don''t have a book).

If I could learn that, then I could convert some of my X based programs over to Windows.

#11 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 03 August 2001 - 05:13 PM

I would suggest adding some /table tags to your page so people can actually see it.(you should have as many /table tags as you have table tags ...)

#12 starlessxenon   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 04 August 2001 - 11:41 AM

Sup? Been working with ASSEMBLY the past couple of days.... lord knows there are plenty of tutorials out there on that... problem is every compiler has a different set of rules on how the stuff should be written! (or at least it seems like it) I''d like some clerification of the differences in the different compilers, namely TASM, MASM, and debug- like a list of syntax differences... its great and all to have working code, but it stinx when it was written for a different compiler so you can''t get it to run BEFORE you screw with it. Anyway, kinda random, I know, but hey, thats just what i do best... BTW- how about a clear description of how to use the asm{} keyword in C++? that would make my life easier, then all i have to do is write the speed-important code in assembly and the rest in C++, hehe, thanx!

~Starless

* http://www.websamba.com/starless *
* starlessxenon@hotmail.com *

#13 Peon   Members   -  Reputation: 276

Posted 04 August 2001 - 04:41 PM

Personally, I''d like to see a bit of terminology / explanation. A lot of things that I do, I have no idea why I do them or what they mean. Take this line of code for example:

video_buffer[x+y*(memory_pitchB >> 1)] = pixel_color_16;

I''ve read the explanation so many times but I still can''t understand stuff like this (this is supposed to plot pixels; maybe I just need to revisit the basics?) Anyway, this is just an idea

#14 draqza   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 August 2001 - 04:16 PM

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
I would suggest adding some /table tags to your page so people can actually see it.(you should have as many /table tags as you have table tags ...)

what, are there errors displaying the page? heh... works fine every time I try it. But actually, i''m getting ready to transfer it to a new server in the next few weeks and rewrite it with PHP, so it will be much easier to do those updates.

For the rest of you... I''ll see what I can come up with...

#15 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 07 August 2001 - 05:03 PM

How about a tutorial on how to make archives? I''m trying to think of a way to combine a bunch of files into one big archive so that I my game folder can have less files. Thank you....

#16 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 09 August 2001 - 10:50 AM

Im a newbie to C++ and doing anything in it seems hard for me
what about a tutorial on simple text-based DOS programming? my friend made a little rpg in DOS that is, IMHO, very good
so ya, if you want, wanna do that?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS