• Create Account

quake3's models

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 MaNiAk   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 29 July 2001 - 10:02 AM

How does Q3 do all that cool stuff with its models? (static in crashes hemlet, shiny cloths, shiny glasses, etc.) I really want to implement that into an OpenGL engin, i was wondering if all that crap was a multipass operation.

Sponsor:

#2 zedzeek   Members   -  Reputation: 528

Posted 29 July 2001 - 11:08 AM

q3a uses its own shader language take a look at the *.shader files for examples of it. basically all it does is draw the same mesh with multiple passes eg draw the mesh with a base texture first then draw the hair with an enviromently mapped texture to make the hair shine.

#3 MaNiAk   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 29 July 2001 - 06:19 PM

I appreciate the response it helped alot. Now the only thing is implementing in code :-(.

#4 SirKnight   Members   -  Reputation: 316

Posted 29 July 2001 - 06:48 PM

There is a document called Quake 3 Shader Specs or something like that. You may wanna check that out. I dont have the URL anymore.

-SirKnight

#5 Elixir   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 29 July 2001 - 06:58 PM

Quake 3 Shader Spec
I suggest you pick up the OpenGL Red Book (OpenGL Programming Guide Third Edition) if you havn''t already. Its a great book and will teach you just about everything that you should know about OpenGL (this includes multitexturing).

Just remember to keep realistic goals as well. I don''t mean to put you off, but don''t expect to be able to realistically recreate Quake 3. John Carmack is heralded as a master coder for a reason.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS