• Create Account

[XNA] Matrix Transformations: Pointing a gun at a crosshair

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Arjan B   Members   -  Reputation: 575

0Likes

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:20 AM

Hi there! I'm trying to make a game using XNA where a tank-like vehicle can be moved left and right, and automatically aims at the mouse cursor. I know I can calculate a direction vector like this:
Vector3 gunDirection = new Vector3(mousePosition, 0.0f) - tank.position;

A rotation around the Z-axis in radians could then be acquired like this:
float rotation = atan(gunDirection.Y/gunDirection.X);

I run into problems when I want to apply a rotation to the "Gun" mesh in the tank's model. The transformation matrix of the mesh can be retrieved this way:
Matrix gunTransform = tank.model.Bones["Gun"].Transform;

How do I alter the gun's transformation matrix to keep it's translation and scale, but have the new rotation? Thank you in advance, Arjan B

Sponsor:

#2 Erik Rufelt   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3031

0Likes

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:23 AM

Unless I'm missing something, you can just multiply the matrix by Matrix.CreateRotationZ(rotation).

#3 Arjan B   Members   -  Reputation: 575

0Likes

Posted 17 January 2010 - 09:21 PM

I have already tried saving the gun's initial transform in tank.gunTransform, and updating the transform in this way:

Vector3 gunDirection = new Vector3(mousePosition, 0.0f) - tank.position;
float gunRotation = (float)Math.Atan2(gunDirection.Y, gunDirection.X);
tank.model.Bones["Gun"].Transform = tank.gunTransform * Matrix.CreateRotationZ(gunRotation);

But this doesn't give the result I want it to. The pivot of the rotation seems off (which is fixable..), but also it doesn't seem to rotate more than 90 degrees, no matter where I move my mouse or tank.

What I just noticed while doing a second check is, when I rotate my mouse around the top-left corner of the window (so also outside the window), the gun does rotate 360 degrees (I'll clamp that later on).

EDIT:
I just realised that the tank's position is in world coordinates and the mouse's position is probably in screen coordinates.

I've defined a Camera class like this:

class Camera
{
public Matrix viewMatrix;
public Matrix projectionMatrix;
public Vector3 position;
public Vector3 lookAt;

public Camera(Vector3 position, Vector3 lookAt, float aspectRatio)
{
this.position = position;
this.lookAt = lookAt;

viewMatrix = Matrix.CreateLookAt(position, lookAt, Vector3.Up);
projectionMatrix = Matrix.CreatePerspectiveFieldOfView(MathHelper.PiOver4, aspectRatio, 1.0f, 10000.0f);
}
}

Could I calculate the tank's screen coordinates using this information?

[Edited by - Arjan B on January 18, 2010 3:21:39 AM]

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS