2D/3D software for the ambitious gfxer-to-be

Started by
3 comments, last by cmOne 22 years, 8 months ago
Hello there.. I just read that thread which dwelt on what 3D modeller to choose. It was interesting but didn''t help me at all, sadly. Now I''d like to go about this from another angle - my simple needs as a game programmer. As an aside, I''ve tried Blender and I uninstalled it because I just don''t have the TIME to go through a manual to do simple things. The learning process, I believe, can be made much simpler by creating a good interface. Back to my profile (which should fit most just-got-interested-in-gfx game creators): I''m a coder and I want do do my own gfx (don''t laugh, ok? :-) I actually think I can get some decent results with decent software). I do know theory (ie linear algebra) enough to throw spittle around me, but I want to employ my knowledge easily in software. I need to create 3D objects that are good enough for use in tilebased games, so we''re talking small objects, rather lowres with not much detail. I don''t have any cash to buy 3DS, LightWave or what have you modeller that costs above 200$ (a feeble amount I''m sure, but enough to show that I''m in for the freeware/shareware line of products). If someone here could point out a freeware/shareware modeller that is "good enough" for my needs, then I''ll be a happy camper. If you''re wondering what kind of quality/kind of gfx I want to create, these titles should do as examples: Sudden Strike Command & Conquer (later titles of course :-) ) Cossacks Thanks for your time.. cOne
Advertisement
you need a 3d modeller for a tile based game??? well anyways... im pretty sure theres a demo version of Rhino 3d on their website (or so ive been told)... im not sure of the demo''s limitations, but its probably worth checking out.
There''s a free older version of Truespace (v.3 i believe) floating around the net. That should be MORE than enough for what you need. Extremely easy interface and should give you excellent results quickly for the type graphics you want. Learning curve is almost nil for simple tasks, but if you wanna get fairly complicated there are tut''s all over the place. i even found a tutorial ages ago to do models in Truespace for Quake 1 when it first came out.
There''s always 3D Canvas at www.amabilis.com or Anim8or at www.anim8or.com

Kal

Dude.

http://www.povray.org

If you can code, you can use PovRay.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement