• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

Path to Game Programming?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

#1 dbeau70   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 31 July 2001 - 06:32 PM

I plan on eventually programming simple games and then some more advanced games and maybe some apps but for now i am just learning the language (C++). I am working my way through Sams teach yourself c++ in 21 days and I dont know what to do after I am finished with it. Shoudl I get a book on MS Visual C++ 6.0 or a book on game programming. Basically tell me the path to learning how to program games. Thanks

Sponsor:

#2 Kastafar   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 01 August 2001 - 07:27 AM

There''s a nice set of tutorials here at the GameDev forums, specifically this one. It''s a hands on set of tutorials, I haven''t looked through them all yet but they look like they would be a great start.

#3 Anonymous Programmer   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 01 August 2001 - 09:05 AM

I am also reading Sams C++ in 21 Days (Day 13!), and I've already bought Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus by André Lamothe. I've skimmed through parts of the book, and played some of the demo/games, and I like most people recommend this book, so if your interested in game programming, then that's your book .

Anonymous Programmer

Edited by - Anonymous Programmer on August 1, 2001 4:07:27 PM

#4 simulator   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 01 August 2001 - 03:18 PM

Hi- I''m following the online tutorial here and am really glad I found it. I had a similar plan: learn visual c++ in 21 days- got to day 7 and going through the game tutorial here, I realized that the 21 days book, although great, is not at all what''s needed for advanced graphics programming. Since then, I have gone out and bought a new book: "Mastering Standard C". There''s alot of pointer and structure notation dealing with the directx and win32 api, and I really did find that I need to become very comfortable with it. Plus, the online turorial is like a class, so its more fun- (if I ever catch up to the pack!! )

Good Luck!

#5 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 03 August 2001 - 09:55 PM

Learn C++
Learn the Win32 API
Learn the DirectX API and/or the OpenGL API
You are now ready to make games

#6 DefCom   Members   -  Reputation: 270

Posted 03 August 2001 - 10:18 PM

I am on day 6 of 21 days and page 230 of game gurus... and this morning i have programmed PONG tookabout 2 hours using plain GDI. Sadly, i feel right proud of myself.

#7 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 05 August 2001 - 02:07 PM

I like the tutorial but i know c++ not c.. Is there a tutorial for c++ on gamedev or any other websites??

#8 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 05 August 2001 - 02:07 PM

I like the tutorial but i know c++ not c.. Is there a tutorial for c++ on gamedev or any other websites??

#9 ungoliant   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 05 August 2001 - 02:23 PM

well C++ is an just an extension of C and any decent C++ compiler will compile C code. So what you might want to try, is to get a simple C book from a library and have a flick through it. There''s probably only a few things you don''t know about C if you know C++, if any.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS