• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

reflection of environment in transparent dome

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 new2ogl   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 01 August 2001 - 09:41 AM

In the movie "Toy Story", there are several scenes where the scene is shown from Buzz Lightyear''s viewpoint. In one, Buzz Lightyear is looking around Andy''s room, and you can see Andy''s room, but you can see a reflection of Buzz''s face in his helmet dome. How would one create such an effect in OpenGL and what techniques are involved (texture mapping, environmental mapping etc.)? What I need to do is similar. I need to view a scene through a transparent dome and see the world on the other side of the dome, but see a reflection of what is inside the dome on the inside surface of the dome. Also, the contents of the scene inside the dome could will change (such as when Buzz moves his head to look around)... I am using GeForce3 and would like to take advantage of nVidia extensions if that is advantageous. I have seen several examples on nVidia''s webpage on using environmental mapping (cube, sphere) but these deal with mirror surfaces rather than with transparent materials... Suggestions are appreciated...pointers to demos even more so. Thx, E

Sponsor:

#2 outRider   Members   -  Reputation: 852

Posted 04 August 2001 - 03:58 PM

Do exactly what they do in the demos, but draw your dome+face by blending... and draw it after you draw the actual scene.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS