• Create Account

OpenGL 3.2 questions

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 happy_mingw_user   Members   -  Reputation: 160

0Likes

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:41 AM

Hi, I saw some talks about the new OpenGL 3.2 and I need to know what on Earth is going on. Here are some questions: If we have GL 3.2 context, the application will run on all graphic cards that support shaders ? Or only on graphic cards that their drivers mention the support ? Is it worth upgrading code now? Or should we wait some time for stable sutff. Are there enough tutorials to get started? Or one has to stick to the docs, find and experience with the new things. Lately I've been thinking about "upgrading" my existing code to OpenGL 3.2 core. Meaning, replacing glBegin for the GUI with the appropriate functions. Replacing glTranslatef/glRotatef with something else as they aren't supported anymore. What should we do?

Sponsor:

#2 _OskaR   Members   -  Reputation: 144

0Likes

Posted 20 February 2010 - 11:44 AM

Quote:
Original post by happy_mingw_user
If we have GL 3.2 context, the application will run on all graphic cards that support shaders ? Or only on graphic cards that their drivers mention the support

You need drivers and hardware. If U have nVidia graphic card - minimum is the GF8, but also U need new drivers.

Quote:
Are there enough tutorials to get started?

It's enough to start and to create interesting things.

Quote:
Lately I've been thinking about "upgrading" my existing code to OpenGL 3.2 core. Meaning, replacing glBegin for the GUI with the appropriate functions. Replacing glTranslatef/glRotatef with something else as they aren't supported anymore.

What should we do?

1. cisplaylists/glVertex/glNormal etc. -> VBO/VAO
2. glColor, lights etc. -> GLSL (you can send location of light as parameter)
3. glRotatef -> rotation matrix on CPU and sending to shaders, little basics - LINK
4. glTranslatef -> transformation matrix and sending to shaders but U can also just add vector of variables to vertex
Check LINK and few nice examples - LINK

#3 V-man   Members   -  Reputation: 805

0Likes

Posted 20 February 2010 - 11:46 AM

Well, you can get rid of glBegin and use VBO and use shaders and all that shit without GL 3.2. It is called the wonderful world ofGL 2.0 and it is at least supprted everywhere.

#4 happy_mingw_user   Members   -  Reputation: 160

0Likes

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:21 PM

Those 4 points are great, I kinda understand better. As I can see, things will force to use shaders alot, which is very good for those who start learning the good way.

And yes, it comes to the quesiton, is it worth upgrading now, maybe NOT yet. Unless you just started and know you will have some years before getting great stuff out.

As I can see, there is this GL 3.2 compatibility context mode or profile, which let us still use the old fonctions (when upgrading) but it might be just helpful for that : upgrading phase. Not daily use as it still requires the new drivers. (?)

Thank you. :)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS