• Create Account

OpenGL with Commercial games

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Xetrov   Members   -  Reputation: 116

Posted 03 August 2001 - 03:31 AM

I am currently writing a freeware game for linux and windows using the SDL library (redundant acronym??) Eventually I think my game will evolve to something that I''d like to publish. By that stage I''m sure I will not use SDL anymore, but write my own platform independent API. But that is not my question. Most games I play in windows which use openGL come with their own GL library. I assume then that they have gotten this from SGI. I was wondering if this was necessary for all commericial applications using openGL, and if so, how one would go about obtaining this??

Sponsor:

#2 Julio   Members   -  Reputation: 116

Posted 03 August 2001 - 04:07 AM

the only one which comes to mind is quake 2 with minigl. just stick with opengl. why would you want to make it harder on yourself?

How many Microsoft employees does it take to screw in a light bulb?
None, they just declare drakness as a new standard.

#3 Dactylos   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 03 August 2001 - 04:20 AM

Just FYI, the L in SDL is for "Layer".
SDL == Simple DirectMedia Layer.
So saying "the SDL library" is not redundant

#4 gmcbay   Members   -  Reputation: 130

Posted 03 August 2001 - 06:30 AM

Other than older games that came with minigl''s to support cards without full OpenGL ICDs (like the Voodoo2), games do not ship with their own OpenGL library. Ever since the second (OSR) release of Win95, Windows has had OpenGL libraries as a standard part of the operating system. Of course, users must have drivers for their specific video card in order to get hardware acceleration, but the opengl drivers are generally installed as part of the generic driver install process.

The one thing that is somewhat common for OpenGL games is to include GLSetup. GLSetup (http://www.glsetup.com) is a fairly painless way for end-users to test their card to make sure it has OpenGL driver support, and download any appropriate drivers required for OpenGL to work if needed.

#5 Xetrov   Members   -  Reputation: 116

Posted 03 August 2001 - 10:00 PM

quote:
Original post by Dactylos
Just FYI, the L in SDL is for "Layer".
SDL == Simple DirectMedia Layer.
So saying "the SDL library" is not redundant

Oh yeah. oops.
I did know that. but my brain wasn''t working. it was late at night, and I''d had too much beer :D

And thanks fer the replys guys!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS