• Create Account

Open Libraries

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
14 replies to this topic

#1 TheRealMAN11   Members   -  Reputation: 142

Posted 05 August 2001 - 10:38 AM

Are there libraries like OpenGL and OpenAL that would do the things the DirectX components do (ie. directplay and directinput). And if there are are they cross platform like OpenGL and OpenAL. And is OpenAL as good as directsound Matthew WebMaster www.Matt-Land.com

Sponsor:

#2 Null and Void   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1087

Posted 05 August 2001 - 10:50 AM

OpenAL was excellent when I messed around with it (I''ll probably use it again for my current project). I''m using SDL to do crossplatform (Mac, Windows, *nix+XF86, BeOS) input, threading, window management, and time keeping. It doesn''t do networking, but there''s another library on the SDL site to do that for a couple platforms.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

#3 Null and Void   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1087

Posted 05 August 2001 - 10:57 AM

Oh, yeah, and SDL is open source under the LGPL .

#4 TheRealMAN11   Members   -  Reputation: 142

Posted 05 August 2001 - 11:42 AM

SDL does not do 3d sound out of the package. Does OpenAL?

Matthew
WebMaster
www.Matt-Land.com

#5 Null and Void   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1087

Posted 05 August 2001 - 11:51 AM

I think OpenAL does. OpenAL uses DirectSound in Windows, so it should be able to do everything DirectSound does. That''s why I''m thinking of using it instead of SDL to do sound for my project .

#6 TheRealMAN11   Members   -  Reputation: 142

Posted 05 August 2001 - 11:56 AM

So what about the directinput and directplay equivalents

Matthew
WebMaster
www.Matt-Land.com

#7 Julio   Members   -  Reputation: 116

Posted 05 August 2001 - 01:36 PM

OpenAL is great. you can do 3d sound and best of all it''s a cross-platform library.

How many Microsoft employees does it take to screw in a light bulb?
None, they just declare drakness as a new standard.

#8 Null and Void   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1087

Posted 05 August 2001 - 01:44 PM

As I said before, SDL does input. Somewhere on the SDL site there is a package called SDL_Net (or something similar). I''m not sure how far along it is, but it is a cross platform network library. Also, there is something called OpenPlay (made by Apple). I didn''t like it too much though. Or, you could just use Berkeley sockets (i.e. avoid the WSA winsock functions).

#9 zedzeek   Members   -  Reputation: 528

Posted 06 August 2001 - 10:41 AM

most companys dont use directplay, they use sockets instead. u might wanna have a look at hawknl for a crossplatform alternative.

#10 bobatefrei   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 06 August 2001 - 09:30 PM

I use GLUT + OpenGL + OpenAL + xaudio (a very portable free mp3 player). Maybe I will replace GLUT by SDL, I don''t like it, but it seems that GLUT is not in developpement!

#11 gmcbay   Members   -  Reputation: 130

Posted 06 August 2001 - 09:49 PM

As others mentioned, SDL can be used to handle input in a platform independent way. It also has DirectDraw-like blitting and can support OpenGL rendering (though mixing them generally results in slow rendering -- better off using OpenGL directly to do the 2D if you need it).

For network related stuff, if you want something higher level than BSD style sockets (which, if used carefully, can be pretty cross-platform already between Win32 and most UNIX like systems), check out HawkNL:

http://www.hawksoft.com/hawknl/

HawkNL gives you functionality similar to DirectPlay and DirectVoice, but in a multiplatform open source package.

#12 Marvin   Members   -  Reputation: 127

Posted 06 August 2001 - 11:31 PM

SDL + OpenGL + OpenAL work very well together, SDL provides you with your DirectInput equivilant, Threading, Timers, 2D graphics etc, OpenAL provides you 3D sound, OpenGL 3D graphics. As for directplay who needs it? good old plain sockets are far more powerful and almost 100% portable, you just need a few #ifdefs to select the appropriate headers depends on OS

#13 TheRealMAN11   Members   -  Reputation: 142

Posted 07 August 2001 - 07:09 AM

Ok so far I have my graphics library (openGL), my audio library (openAL), and my network library (openNL/HalkNL). Now I need an input library that can do everything Direct input can do. From what I have read SDL cannot do this. Is there like a strictly input library like openGL is strictly graphics?

Matthew
WebMaster
www.Matt-Land.com

#14 zedzeek   Members   -  Reputation: 528

Posted 07 August 2001 - 09:09 AM

http://www.khronos.org/menu.htm is interesting

#15 grady   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 August 2001 - 10:01 AM

mmm, microsoft's name isn't on the cover of the OpenML specification. That makes me . There's also fmod for sound, www.fmod.org .

Edited by - grady on August 7, 2001 5:02:39 PM

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS