• Create Account

3H-GDC m.VII, April 10th, 2100 UTC ($128 of prizes) - Theme: Spring

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
69 replies to this topic

#21 Endurion   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3330

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:42 AM

Urgh, I hate time zones and summer time. Is it EST (there's about 20 ESTs) or EDT (summer time) now?

Could you specify in UTC please? Just want to make sure, it should be the last saturday of my holiday.

Sponsor:

#22 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2094

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:48 AM

If you specify it in an other way, please specify it in GMT too. I'm sure an other North American stuff will confuse me. (EST = GMT+5, I hope...)

#23 capn_midnight   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1375

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:00 AM

Okay, so east-coast US is current EDT, which is UTC-4. 1700 hours EDT would be 2100 UTC. UTC is largely the same as GMT.

#24 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2094

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:15 AM

As far as I know, EST = GMT+5, so GMT != UTC. So, I'm totally lost.
How about specifying in Gamedev's server time? Or put a countdown or something on the site, something to synchronize our clocks (or am I the only noob, who doesn't understand what's up with these timezones? Maybe this simply makes me inadequate in the first round...)

#25 Endurion   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3330

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:00 AM

We should be here: Fixed Time around the world

#26 capn_midnight   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1375

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:28 AM

Quote:
Original post by szecs
As far as I know, EST = GMT+5, so GMT != UTC. So, I'm totally lost.
How about specifying in Gamedev's server time? Or put a countdown or something on the site, something to synchronize our clocks (or am I the only noob, who doesn't understand what's up with these timezones? Maybe this simply makes me inadequate in the first round...)

Eastern Standard Time (EST) is Greenwich Mean Time *minus* 5, not *plus* 5. Which is also Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) minus 5, plus or minus 0.9 seconds. But, we are currently in Eastern Daylight Saving Time (EDT), which is GMT/UTC-4. You're currently in Central European Summer Time (CEST), which is UTC+2. So, you're 6 hours ahead. 5PM my time is 11PM your time.

GDNet's server clock is east-coast US time, so EDT.

Endurion: thanks, that makes it a lot easier.

#27 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2094

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:00 AM

Thanks for the clarification (I always hated the idea of Summer/Winter Time).

"+" was a typo.

#28 KittyRa   Members   -  Reputation: 258

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:04 PM

Haha, maybe it's finally time for me to participate! I'm not good with puzzle games though.[sad]

#29 capn_midnight   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1375

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:56 AM

To sweeten the pot, I've decided to bump up the prizes.
#3: a PayPal transfer worth 3 months of GDNet+ membership ($12.95).
#2: a full year of GDNet+ ($39.95).
#1: a $75 gift card for Amazon.com (email gift card).
[See some of My Projects] - [Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github]

#30 capn_midnight   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1375

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:13 PM

I just remembered that I actually have a Mac Mini lying around, so if you want to make the game for OS X, that's fine too.

Also, still need more volunteers for judging. We need at least three, ideally five.

The roster is still open for contestants too, anytime up to the day, hour, minute of the contest.

#31 d000hg   Members   -  Reputation: 691

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:56 AM

Hey, what a time to return to GD! I don't think I'll have the time to compete but I have fond memories from the past of these and would certainly encourage people to compete.

On the timezone thing, I'd just work in GMT/UTC and make this fact clear, there are enough web-sites which will help you figure it out, not to mention your mobile phone and desktop calendar. From personal experience don't say "EST" as this can be ambiguous in different countries.

#32 Wan   Members   -  Reputation: 1366

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:02 AM

Not sure, might participate. If I do, my awesomeness will require Flash player 10.

#33 AndyEsser   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 375

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:26 AM

I'd be interested in being a judge. This idea really interests me. Please PM if you want me.

Specs:

System: Dell XPS M1730
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo
RAM: 4Gb
HDD: ~700Gb
Graphics: 2x nVidia 8700 MGT
Other: Ageia PhysX
Browsers: Internet Explorer 8, Firefox 3.6, Safari 4.0, Chrome
Latest Versions of Flash, Shockwave, Acrobat, Java, etc
Timezone: GMT (well, BST)

#34 capn_midnight   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1375

Posted 08 April 2010 - 02:16 AM

Awesome, that's great. Thanks for volunteering.

#35 eedok   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 971

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:29 PM

heh the way it works out I have a barbeque an hour before the deadline, so I may just have to see how a 1.5H-GDC would work for me :P

#36 KittyRa   Members   -  Reputation: 258

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:48 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! 3H-GDC starts right in the middle of my team work session for our final game project (starting our last milestone [smile]). I was looking forward to participating, but I guess I'll be watching again [sad]

I hope to see some ASCII awesome games!

#37 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2094

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:55 PM

I'm not sure that I can do this tonight.
I hope it won't be a problem if I won't participate, even if I 'signed in'. (apart from the total moral defeat)

#38 capn_midnight   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1375

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:49 AM

That's too bad. Ih well, we will run another one soon, I promise. No more of this waiting a year and a half between contests.

Contest is still on. I will announce the theme in about 45 minutes. As always, theme is open to interpretation. If you want, sign in to #gamedev on irc.Afternet.org and we will commandier the channel for our purposes. And keep on eye on this thread for info as well.

#39 Endurion   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3330

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:05 AM

Great :)

How many are still left to participate? Oh, and probably more important, where to send/upload the submissions to?

#40 capn_midnight   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1375

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:25 AM

I have 7-zip installed, so zip, 7z, or tar your project -- everything I would need to run the app, maybe a small read-me so I know where to start -- and email it to capn.midnight@gmail.com

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS