• Create Account

Blender

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 SIHOG   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 August 2001 - 01:14 AM

How do I convert models made in program Blender so I could use them in my program in openGL ? Thank you !

Sponsor:

#2 Julio   Members   -  Reputation: 116

Posted 07 August 2001 - 01:33 AM

I ''researched'' this a little while ago. You basically either use the dxf or vrml formats that it can export, or you write your own exporter using the Python scrypting language.

How many Microsoft employees does it take to screw in a light bulb?
None, they just declare drakness as a new standard.

#3 SIHOG   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 08 August 2001 - 08:14 PM

I thank you very much for trying to help me but I don''t thing I quite understand you. When I do sth in blender, the program just saves my models in format .blend , so I would be very thankful if you could write me the easiest way to do that, to use models made in blender in my openGL code

Thank you !

#4 Null and Void   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1087

Posted 08 August 2001 - 08:18 PM

Write a model loader, it''s pretty easy. I normally write a convertion tool to convert the file to my own format, then I write a method of loading that format. See wotsit.org for information on different file formats.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

#5 SIHOG   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 August 2001 - 02:58 AM

I am sorry to bother you again but I do not know how to do that and I didn''t find anything useful on that page so I am asking you if you could send me the converter that you made for yourself.
Thank you !

#6 Null and Void   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1087

Posted 09 August 2001 - 08:44 AM

Ever format is different. I made that format specifically for the mini-engine I was experimenting with (the format was pretty primitive, but it worked for experimenting). The format you design should be what you need for whatever your project requires. Assuming you know the C or C++ file i/o libraries, you should easily be able to use one of the existing mainstream formats or convert it to your own. We can''t write everything for you, since every project has different requirements.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

#7 ANSI2000   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 August 2001 - 10:11 AM

I think he is more or less looking for the .blend format specs so he can load it

Try asking the blender community or NAN see if they will give it up for you!

#8 Julio   Members   -  Reputation: 116

Posted 10 August 2001 - 12:38 AM

that''s why I said to export it to dxf or write a plugin so it''s easier to load the model. the .blend format is very f---ed up.

How many Microsoft employees does it take to screw in a light bulb?
None, they just declare drakness as a new standard.

#9 BobertGL   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 12 August 2001 - 07:08 AM

You can check out my python script i use for blender
(basicly a complete re-write of w3d2.py) It uses tris, materials, matrix, uvtexture, and simple animation.
However, with blender''s iffy interface i cannot extract the script for the forum :o

should i email it?(the .blend file)

-bobert

How many bits could a blitter blit if blitter could blit bits?

#10 SIHOG   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 12 August 2001 - 08:25 PM

Well, mail it to me...let me see !

And what do I have to do to make it work ?

Thanks !

#11 BobertGL   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 15 August 2001 - 10:05 AM

alright, i sent it! anyone else want it?

-BobertGL

PS: i think that everyone needs to know the basics of python, its a great way to expand on blenders capibilities...
PSS: erm, how expirienced are you SIHOG? because i sorta made the discription letter complex and asumed you knew about things like matrixes and uv texturing...sorry

How many bits could a blitter blit if blitter could blit bits?

#12 BobertGL   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 15 August 2001 - 10:11 AM

D''OH!
i forgot to say that you need to convert your mesh(s) to triangles with alt-t or ctrl-tbefore exporting.
face data is all indexed triangles!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS